1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
As mentioned in the article, that sharply contrasts Kalashnikov's past statements; but in his latter years he could have had a change of heart.

Still, if true, I would have preferred that Kalashnikov taken the same tact as Brig Gen Paul Tibbets Jr., the pilot who dropped the first atomic bomb, who insisted he never lost a single's night sleep over the apocalyptic mission and that his main concern was to do the "best job" he could...

"You've got to take stock and assess the situation at that time. We were at war. You use anything at your disposal."

He added: "I sleep clearly every night."

In a recent interview, Tibbets said: "We had feelings, but we had to put them in the background.

"My one concern was to do the best job I could so we could end the killing as quickly as possible."

He added, it was his patriotic duty - "to do the right thing".

Kalashnikov should have come to the same realization...

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
So maybe an old guy looking back on his life, wonders about his impact on the world and the legacy he will leave behind. The Catholic indoctrination encourages you to repent before death and catch the express elevator to heaven. It would be easy to twist that into some kind of anti-gun world peace bullshit.

Kalashnikov was a commie all the way; no regrets and towing propaganda to the end.

"During the Vietnam war, American soldiers would throw away their M-16s to grab AK-47s and bullets for it from dead Vietnamese soldiers," sure, some did. where's the rofl smiley...

·
Registered
791 Posts
I might believe it once I can view this "letter" in it's entirety, in his confirmed handwriting. Too much artistic license being planted in...:puke:"journalism" these days.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
"Kalashnikov continued working into his late 80s as chief designer of the Izmash company"

Wow, that I did not know!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Next thing you'll know, another letter will suddenly be "discovered" by investigative journalists [sic] in which M. Kalashnikov sings the praises of global gun control and UN-sponsored disarmament, especially for English-speaking civilians in the United States.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
From the article:

He came up with this machine to defend their country, and not to use terrorists to Saudi Arabia, "said Volkov.

·
Banned
950 Posts
From the article:

He came up with this machine to defend their country, and not to use terrorists to Saudi Arabia, "said Volkov.

Pretty much the way I would look at it. Course, I'm not him.

If I invented the bottle opener I wouldn't be blaming myself for drunk driving deaths either.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." I suppose we all thought that, one way or another. - Robert Oppenheimer

The truth is it's a weapon of war but while it has killed innocent people it's also protected them

Reactions: grp
1 - 12 of 12 Posts