AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K-VAR is having a barrel sale. They are not giving anything away but some of the prices are the best in many moons.
Be aware of what you are buying. Some of the 7.62 barrels are 100 series for 90 degree blocks and AK74 type FSB. Not a bad thing but not for a Polish AKM kit with original barrel parts..,
The Largest AK-47/74 Rifle...

·
Registered
248 Posts
K-VAR is having a barrel sale. They are not giving anything away but some of the prices are the best in many moons.
Be aware of what you are buying. Some of the 7.62 barrels are 100 series for 90 degree blocks and AK74 type FSB. Not a bad thing but not for a Polish AKM kit with original barrel parts..,
The Largest AK-47/74 Rifle...

I still have an East German kit from APEX and one of the Sportsmans Guide Tula/Izzy mixed kits I need to have built at some point. Which of the KVAR barrels would be the best one for those, if any?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
so the AK-601 barrel won't work with an AKM type kit (ie Romanian G, Egyptian, Tula, etc)? I was hoping I could thread the end to 14mm and make it work, but maybe not.

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so the AK-601 barrel won't work with an AKM type kit (ie Romanian G, Egyptian, Tula, etc)? I was hoping I could thread the end to 14mm and make it work, but maybe not.
90 degree AK74 type gas port location

·
Registered
953 Posts
I say this is the best deal in a looooong time for 74 barrels. Picked up 2 when I only need 1. I trust U.S. made 7.62x39mm barrels. Still "meh" about U.S. made 5.45's

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Thanks for the thread, I got one of the '74 barrels. $149 for a eastern block '74 barrel... something I never thought I'd see again.

I just don't understand this barrel ban at all. I understand that kits can't come in anymore with intact barrels... but does the barrel ban not apply to spares like kvar is selling? I doubt they have been sitting on these since prior to 2005, but I have no idea.

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ban applies to "machinegun barrels". Barrels that were used on full auto firearms etc. New or replacement or sporting barrels are still legal.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The ban applies to "machinegun barrels". Barrels that were used on full auto firearms etc. New or replacement or sporting barrels are still legal.
I got a couple barrels and some additional parts. Might finally get an AK-104 built. This was too good to pass up.

Thirtycal

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the post AKBLUE. Time to spend some hard earned $$ lol

I'm looking for a 7.62 barrel for a Bulgarian 7.62 krink build. I don't know whether to go with the AK-332C or AK-601 barrel. I understand they'll need to be cut down and re-profiled so the gas port being drilled or not shouldn't affect anything. What's the difference, if any that I'm not seeing and which one would work best?

·
Technical Advisor
15,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will their x39 HB work with the Romanian parts kit?
With time talent, research and tools all things are possible. But., ya gotta know what you are up to. Hard to answer a 10 word post on building an AK of mixed origin. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With time talent, research and tools all things are possible. But., ya gotta know what you are up to. Hard to answer a 10 word post on building an AK of mixed origin. Just sayin'.

Not a mixed origin kit. I state very clearly that it is a Romanian kit. I wasn't clear on the type of kit and assumed (we all know what that spells) the experts here would be able to read between the lines. So allow me to restate the question in order to be perfectly clear.

I have an old I/O Romanian RPK kit with a shot out barrel. Will the 7.62x39 AK heavy barrel that K-VAR is offering work with my kit?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Looks like the $149 5.45 barrels are all sold out. Wow that didn't take long.

-Thirtycal

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
I have an old I/O Romanian RPK kit with a shot out barrel. Will the 7.62x39 AK heavy barrel that K-VAR is offering work with my kit?
I think most people would have assumed that you had an AKM kit and not a RPK kit. I think it's a jump to think the "experts" would have guessed that with only a mention of a "Romanian Kit".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts