AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I realize this is an AK forum but....

I just unboxed a CMP order of 5 Garands. Above is the complete family portrait. The first two on the left are my H&R Service Grade Garands. The third rifle is a Special Grade Garand in .308 with a walnut stock and new barrel (my brother's rifle). The fourth rifle is a Springfield Armory Service Grade Garand, also belonging to my brother. The next five are the ones we just unboxed hours ago. They are all Springfield Armory Grands with original USGI stocks. Here's how they break down in terms of date of manufacture:

1. DEC 43
2. MAY 41 (my brother talked me out of this one)
3. 1952-54
4. JAN 42
5. APR 42 (he got this one as well)

Though the wood and butt plates are old and worn, everything else on these rifles looks new or very good used condition.

I am very pleased with the CMP. It took a little over 2 months to arrive. Each one cost $650 with shipping.

Thanks for bearing with me. I couldn't keep my mouth shut on this one! :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wow those H&R's are nice. I should've gotten service grade instead of rack. Very nice collection you have there.

·
Banned
950 Posts
I don't understand why you would need such an arsenal of military grade weapons. Not to mention those rifles might have even killed people at one time or another. You should have them melted down and turned into a peace sculpture dedicated to the lives lost to horrible gun violence. I will gladly take them off your hands to be sure they never harm another innocent person again.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I don't understand why you would need such an arsenal of military grade weapons. Not to mention those rifles might have even killed people at one time or another. You should have them melted down and turned into a peace sculpture dedicated to the lives lost to horrible gun violence. I will gladly take them off your hands to be sure they never harm another innocent person again.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i don't understand why you would need such an arsenal of military grade weapons. Not to mention those rifles might have even killed people at one time or another. You should have them melted down and turned into a peace sculpture dedicated to the lives lost to horrible gun violence. I will gladly take them off your hands to be sure they never harm another innocent person again.

I am suddenly overcome with grief that I am now the owner of horrible weapons of destruction that may have killed people in combat. It will take me some time to overcome my feelings... ....OK.... I'm over it now! Can't wait to shoot them! :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought the CMP had a limit on rifles you could buy? Guess that is just ammo. Very very very nice!
I think you can buy 12 per year from the CMP. They have about 2-3 years remaining. I own a total of five now. I'm done and am off to other things now... like ARs and AKs!!!! :)

·
Banned
103 Posts
I went through a Garand collecting phase, and then realized that it was pretty silly to buy so many copies of the same weapon.

I sold them all off and made a KILLING of a profit on them.

·
Registered
168 Posts
do they charge your card when you order? or when the get ready to ship?

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Very nice AJ! I've been thinking about picking one up from CMP. I might just have to before they are gone.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Great looking group! It's nice to see some American service rifles around here. Must have been like Christmas opening up those up. Did you have any idea what you were getting or was it just whatever CMP picked from the shelves?

I just picked up my second M1 Garand last Sunday - a new in the box M1D! It originally came from the DCM through the lottery system back in 1996.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Springfield special, probably my favorite rifle. There is nothing like pulling that smooth warm walnut into your pocket and smelling the must sling as you relax into position. Closing your eyes breathing in and out opening your eyes at that respiratory pause to see those excellent sights with that target sitting on top of that front sight. Making one slight adjustment in NPOA checking again. Starting the squeeze of that trigger watching the sights go down below your target as you inhale then as you are exhaling taking up the slack. Proper sight picture respiratory pause squeeze and it rocks you back but you settle right back on target inhale exhale and boom again. 8 full power rounds off in cadence and still on target. I miss shooting my United States Rifle Model 1 cal.30. It has been a couple months.
I am a shooter not a collector though, I just have one. But have nearly 5500 rounds through it. It still is able to put 8 rounds inside a 2" circle at 100 yards as well as as a 10" at 500. I am proud to say it has never been shot off of a bench or rest. Only the way Mr. Garand intended, with a sling. I think today I will feed her.

Sent from my evil black iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
do they charge your card when you order? or when the get ready to ship?
They charge your credit card about 10 days before they ship. My order took about 2 months total but it can take up to 6 months. They ship it right to your door. No FFL involved. No taxes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice. I've thought about making a weekend trip to the Ohio store to pick one out.
You may want to check first. Last I heard the store shelves are empty. They're shipping as fast as they put them together.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great looking group! It's nice to see some American service rifles around here. Must have been like Christmas opening up those up. Did you have any idea what you were getting or was it just whatever CMP picked from the shelves?

I just picked up my second M1 Garand last Sunday - a new in the box M1D! It originally came from the DCM through the lottery system back in 1996.
When you purchase from the CMP you specify the GRADE of rifle you want. From that point, you just get what they send you. Frankly, I was surprised (and quite happy) to get 5 USGI stocks.

Congratulations on your M1D.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts