AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered it today from classic firearms. I'm scared because they are kinda hit or miss it seems. I guess I'll see in a few days.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
eh, I think they are way more hit than miss. I've only seen one, maybe two issues that people have had with them over the last few years, and they have built a TON of rifles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
eh, I think they are way more hit than miss. I've only seen one, maybe two issues that people have had with them over the last few years, and they have built a TON of rifles.
Probably true. People are usually much more likely to post a bad review of a rifle than a good review it seems.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Mine was a miss. They made it a hit with no additional expense to me; you should be fine.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got it today. I was a little hesitant but man for $600 this thing looks great! Definitely should not have been worried. The "grade B" wood stock was not bad at all. I wanted to replace the stock set with a plum one so I didn't get the better wood gun for $650. I think after looking at this rifle, I'll just leave it as is because the stock really has a nice worn, but not abused look. Can't shoot it yet, but hopefully can this weekend. All of the parts matched and the finish is really nice. The chromed barrel appears nicely made and you can clearly see the chrome in the chamber. The only thing I noticed was a slight gap between the receiver and stock. Not a big deal and probably normal anyway. As for sight cant, I don't think there is any, but once I go shooting I will be able to tell better. I'll try to post pics

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
the gap is normal, and actually suppose to be there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMG_0927_zps3780e1e7.jpg IMG_0928_zps5a652f36.jpg IMG_0929_zpse7a1a187.jpg IMG_0930_zpsd16064db.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures. I am a student in college and have to keep my guns locked up at the campus police building, so I didn't have a chance to take many pictures or examine the gun entirely like I would have wanted to do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're allowed to bring firearms to campus and have them locked up?
Yes, at my school the campus police offer lockers at their headquarters that you can keep your guns in. It is really nice for people in the dorms.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Holy shit that's awesome. While Florida is good with gun laws unfortunately we aren't allowed to bring them on campus...even if you have military training and hold a CWP. I can't even keep my Glock 19 in my car for fear that ill get found out and then it'll just be a shit storm and prison time. Funny thing too, I go to University of Central Florida, the same place that was on the news a few months back because someone tried shooting up one of the dorms, botched it and killed himself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holy shit that's awesome. While Florida is good with gun laws unfortunately we aren't allowed to bring them on campus...even if you have military training and hold a CWP. I can't even keep my Glock 19 in my car for fear that ill get found out and then it'll just be a shit storm and prison time. Funny thing too, I go to University of Central Florida, the same place that was on the news a few months back because someone tried shooting up one of the dorms, botched it and killed himself.
Wow, I would have figured that Florida would have better rules for firearms on campus. I go to school at the University of Nebraska, but am from New Jersey. Needless to say, it is a rather pleasant change.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
so are you allowed to have that rifle in NJ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so are you allowed to have that rifle in NJ?
Yes, all is needed is to weld the muzzle brake and trim the lugs off the bayonet lug. Of course block the mags to 15 rounds too. I likely won't do all this though and will probably leave the rifle in Nebraska while I go home for summer. I have plenty of rifles at home that its not a big deal to leave one here.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I wonder how these barrels compare to a Saiga barrel, or a Romanian one like you see in the M10 rifles.
People often ask me which entry level 74 is the best option, and I never know what to tell them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder how these barrels compare to a Saiga barrel, or a Romanian one like you see in the M10 rifles.
People often ask me which entry level 74 is the best option, and I never know what to tell them.
I have heard that the barrels used to be Green Mountain Barrels, but are now ESS Solutions barrels. I have experience with ESS Ar15 barrels and they have always been excellent. I wouldn't expect the ak74 barrel to be any different. The chrome in my barrel looks excellent, although I have yet to test the accuracy of this barrel.

Well I did get to shoot a few rounds through my rifle this weekend just shooting at claybirds and stuff and all I can say is WOW! This gun shoots so nicely! The recoil is so minimal and follow up shots are extremely easy and quick. I am used to AR's and 7.62 AK's and all I can say is this gun is nicer to shoot than either of them. I suppose it is the muzzle brake making most of the difference, but I was very pleasantly surprised shooting this gun.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Thank you for the info. The thing I am most curious about is the non-hammer forged US barrel in comparison to the hammer forged surplus barrels.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts