AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the site and have been reading for a while now about what to look for in an ak-47 and have finally decided to get a Romanian WASR from Hendersons. I have been trying to decide which model and what brand and this site has helped quite a bit. I picked the 'certified' WASR due to them stating the rifles canting is checked/corrected,head spacing is right and other issues. I figured I would get one now instead of waiting, as the prices seem to be getting higher and who knows how this country will vote this year with the presidential elections. I had an ak-47 years ago and kick myself for getting rid of it. I think it will be a great little plinker. Now all I have to do is tell the wife about it, wish me luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,683 Posts
patw said:
I am new to the site and have been reading for a while now about what to look for in an ak-47 and have finally decided to get a Romanian WASR from Hendersons. I have been trying to decide which model and what brand and this site has helped quite a bit. I picked the 'certified' WASR due to them stating the rifles canting is checked/corrected,head spacing is right and other issues. I figured I would get one now instead of waiting, as the prices seem to be getting higher and who knows how this country will vote this year with the presidential elections. I had an ak-47 years ago and kick myself for getting rid of it. I think it will be a great little plinker. Now all I have to do is tell the wife about it, wish me luck.
Good choice going with Henderson and getting a certified WASR. It definitely takes all the worry out of buying one sight unseen. When I ordered my Century Yugo M70AB2 from SOG back in Febuary, I worried until it got here. I lucked out on this one though. Everything was straight and I got one with the Zastava markings on the rear sight base. Anyway, be prepared to buy more. It has become a sickness with me. :grin: Welcome!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
barberl said:
Good choice going with Henderson and getting a certified WASR. It definitely takes all the worry out of buying one sight unseen. When I ordered my Century Yugo M70AB2 from SOG back in Febuary, I worried until it got here. I lucked out on this one though. Everything was straight and I got one with the Zastava markings on the rear sight base. Anyway, be prepared to buy more. It has become a sickness with me. :grin: Welcome!
Century doesn't build the WASRs. They don't take every 11th one out of the box, and bend the front sight, either. They're built by underpaid overworked Romanians and imported here by Century.

Century contracts the building of the Yugo AKs out to competent builders here in the US. I've not heard more than 5 complaints on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,019 Posts
Let us know how it turns out. I have a friend who is looking to get an AK at an affordable price. I pointed him towards the "certified" WASR. So, I'll be anxious to see what you end up with. I've heard all good about them (Henderson), so I wouldn't expect any bad surprises.

As for the wife, show her an Arsenal or Polytech, first. Then show her the price you paid for the WASR! :grin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I told her and she seemed ok with it after I had sold a few items to pay for at least half of the cost. I'll let you know what it looks like when I get it. I know what you mean with the addiction. Just today I bought some Brown Bear for it, maybe I won't say anything until she gets the cc bill. :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,683 Posts
nalioth said:
barberl said:
Good choice going with Henderson and getting a certified WASR. It definitely takes all the worry out of buying one sight unseen. When I ordered my Century Yugo M70AB2 from SOG back in Febuary, I worried until it got here. I lucked out on this one though. Everything was straight and I got one with the Zastava markings on the rear sight base. Anyway, be prepared to buy more. It has become a sickness with me. :grin: Welcome!
Century doesn't build the WASRs. They don't take every 11th one out of the box, and bend the front sight, either. They're built by underpaid overworked Romanians and imported here by Century.

Century contracts the building of the Yugo AKs out to competent builders here in the US. I've not heard more than 5 complaints on them.
I am aware of everything that you just said and never implied that Century built them. I have always known that the Yugos were contracted out and that Century hicapped and made the WASR's US compliant. I would say that they take more than every 11th one out of the box to do all that. I have heard more than 5 complaints on the Yugo's also, which can suffer from canted sights, canted gas tube , and the mag catch being to low, allowing the bolt to override the cartridge. I have definitely heard that last complaint on many forums. Don't get me wrong, I love my Yugo, and would recommend one to anybody. However, they are not without fault and should be inspected before purchase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
Post pictures and a review when she arrives. I've been thinking about getting a WASR as a beater rifle and the Henderson Defense one looks interesting.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
778 Posts
If you want an affordable AK, keep an eye on the Marketplace on here.

So far, I have come across many that were affordable, and three that I have bought
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top