AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just won a GunBroker auction for this Norinco MAC 90 - $580.00. What can you tell me about it?

- Is it a stamped receiver?
- Wil it run w / most any AK magazines?
- Will it run with SP or HP ammo reliably?

Some info from the auction description:

- looks Like a Pre Ban Rifle
- Factory Threaded Barrel
- USA Parts were installed to make it 922R Compliant
- Made in China By Norinco Mak 90 7.62x39
- all matching numbers
- Excellent Condition with a Excellent Bore
- marked Made in China By Norinco CSI Los Angeles Ca
- barrel is threaded with the spring loaded detent pin and USA slant brake
- The pistol grip, Double hook 3 piece trigger assembly, magazine follower and base plate are all American Made parts
- sling and 30 round magazine are included
- Barrel is 16 inches with factory 14x1mm left hand threads

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Re: just got this Norinco MAC 90, what can you tell me about

f2 said:
Just won a GunBroker auction for this Norinco MAC 90. What can you tell me about it?

Is it blued or painted? If blued, then that particular MAK is banned everywhere except Alaska and Texas. Just to keep you outa trouble, I'll give ya 300 for it.

t

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: just got this Norinco MAC 90, what can you tell me about

Trueno said:
Is it blued or painted? If blued, then that particular MAK is banned everywhere except Alaska and Texas. Just to keep you outa trouble...
Tell me more. Are you talking about the thrid pin? Does not look like the receiver has this 3rd pin on the left reciever side. Is it ok?

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
In light of a few past posts of guys getting burned on a purchase, be careful what you bid on and buy without knowing a little about it. :wink: In all serious, though, judging by your initial questions, your purchase could've easily went south on you if you didn't have a little knowledge about it in the pocket. But it looks like you got a fairly good deal on a great looking rifle.

Regarding your "third hole" question, I think you answered your own question with the photos you provided. As long as you don't make a third hole, you're golden. :hail:

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
You've got a good strong reliable rifle that will give you years of trouble free shooting. The only thing that I don't like about this particular one is the fact that you have to use a magazine with a US follower and US floor plate to be sec922 compliant. As stupid as it may seem, if you stick a regular full foreign AK mag in it, it's a felony. Personally, I would purchase a US made Chinese type stock set from Ironwood Designs. They're dead ringers for the Chinese stock sets. The whole stock set counts as three parts. That along with your US trigger group gives you six US compliance parts total which means that you'd be good to go with fully foreign magazines.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It has an East German sling.

There, you now have the sum total of my contribution.

(Looks like a nice Chicom too!)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Bret said:
The only thing that I don't like about this particular one is the fact that you have to use a magazine with a US follower and US floor plate to be sec922 compliant. Personally, I would purchase a US made Chinese type stock set from Ironwood Designs. They're dead ringers for the Chinese stock sets. The whole stock set counts as three parts. That along with your US trigger group gives you six US compliance parts total which means that you'd be good to go with fully foreign magazines.
Re-read the auction description. He has a US slant break on it, and states it has US pistol group and trigger group, so he's good to go for 922R.

Overall it's a very nice rifle. Seems expensive for a Mak, even converted, but that's what they're going for these days I guess. You won't be able to put a bayonet on it, since it still has the ban neutered gas block, but who cares? Nice rifle, shoot it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
MAK90

The Ironwood MAK buttstocks are not really dead ringers for the Chinese ones. Other than the shape being AKM instead of type 56, the angle of the stock is AKM and does not have the "drop" of the originals. I Know Matt would have to make some changes in his machining to make buttstocks for only Chinese stamped AK's. I suppose there may not be enough demand to warrant it. I "re-angled" an Ironwood buttstock to the same angle as the original Chinese buttstock and it really looked and felt like a Chinese AK. The first pic is of the Ironwood BS as purchased. The second one is the same BS "reangled. The third pic is of a Type56 clone w/Chinese BS. I know a lot of MAK owners could care less. I thought I'd point this out for those that it did matter to.

[/img]

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Wakko said:
Re-read the auction description. He has a US slant break on it, and states it has US pistol group and trigger group, so he's good to go for 922R.
Oops, missed the US slant brake part. Still, a stamped receiver AK in pistol grip configuration with a muzzle attachment has 16 of the listed parts. If a completely foreign magazine was used, it would not be sec922 compliant because 11 of the listed parts would be foreign.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So one more item to change to satisfy sec922. Mag follower or base plate?

One reply in my thread question above, and one reply via PM, both recommend a U.S. plastic follower. Would they work reliably in Bulgarian, other AK steel magazines?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts