AK Rifles banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
fraud , but it involves a lawsuit , not something a prosecutor will take up , if he had purchased on the internet , sent through the mail , might have a few options , OP is going to have to look at it as a learning experience

early on in my K98 days i made a bad buy at a show , just cant let it eat you up and learn from it , granted mine was for less than half what OP is out but this was in the early 90's when i was getting ramped up in K98s , i still have that bubba , going to make it into a faux sniper , cant sell it , cant part it out , shoots straight with a great bore so i just use it as a reminder to do do diligence and if it doesnt feel right , dont take the chance
Yeah it was an expensive lesson, that's for sure.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I thought about getting ahold of the ATF and blasting him selling me an unserialized lower/ "ghost gun"... but I'm not sure. My lawyer will send him a demand threatening legal action for $150 but im still not sure what I wanna do.
I would suggest that you tell the guy that you have consulted with the police/an FFL/ATF etc, and that you were told that ghost guns are illegal to sell. Then say that you will contact ATF if he doesn't take it back and refund you in full. If that doesn't work, well... contact ATF and see if they can get his attention. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I would suggest that you tell the guy that you have consulted with the police/an FFL/ATF etc, and that you were told that ghost guns are illegal to sell. Then say that you will contact ATF if he doesn't take it back and refund you in full. If that doesn't work, well... contact ATF and see if they can get his attention. :)
I did and got no response. My only concern about contacting the ATF is they might just take the gun and then I'm left with nothing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did and got no response. My only concern about contacting the ATF is they might just take the gun and then I'm left with nothing.
Do you know anybody with the local police that can make an "off the record" phone call?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Can you send a better pic of the trunnion, it looks like he did a horrible job grinding off the original trunnion marking and hand stamped the numbers on.
if it’s not a cast trunnion and bolt
I would check the headspace and make sure it’s good.
run it! And have fun with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
564 Posts
They probably would because it would be evidence. Now there is nothing illegal about selling a gun you made at home. Nor is it illegal, at least federally, to not serialize a home made firearm. The illegal part is where he sold it without serializing it. Homemade firearms have to be serialized if you sell them. So legally he should have carved something on it when he sold it to you.

That said, the ATF probably wouldn't be interested in pursuing this case. One dude sold an unserialized gun to one dude. Its not worth the time to investigate. All that you would probably accomplish is have an agent come out to your house, interview you, take the gun, the gun then sits in an evidence box till they decide to destroy it, and you're left with nothing.

If you're not willing to just live with an awful rifle, break it down for parts. Then either buy new parts and pay a gunsmith to make it correctly OR sell them to get money to buy a different gun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
And some more if it helps
They probably would because it would be evidence. Now there is nothing illegal about selling a gun you made at home. Nor is it illegal, at least federally, to not serialize a home made firearm. The illegal part is where he sold it without serializing it. Homemade firearms have to be serialized if you sell them. So legally he should have carved something on it when he sold it to you.

That said, the ATF probably wouldn't be interested in pursuing this case. One dude sold an unserialized gun to one dude. Its not worth the time to investigate. All that you would probably accomplish is have an agent come out to your house, interview you, take the gun, the gun then sits in an evidence box till they decide to destroy it, and you're left with nothing.

If you're not willing to just live with an awful rifle, break it down for parts. Then either buy new parts and pay a gunsmith to make it correctly OR sell them to get money to buy a different gun.
That's fair. I appreciate your response, thank you.

·
Registered
M70-Galil Ace-WBP-Fox-Arsenal-KR-9-Sega Genesis Fan
51 Posts
bribe the gas station for video..hunt him down. Or cut your losses

·
Registered
22,585 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
bribe the gas station for video..hunt him down. Or cut your losses
I dont think the video would do me much good.. maybe I'm wrong. But I have all of his information, I started blasting him all over the forum he found me on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do you know a lawyer? I suppose a letter stating intent to refund sale vs turning in federally for selling an unserialized firearm

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Do you know a lawyer? I suppose a letter stating intent to refund sale vs turning in federally for selling an unserialized firearm
Yeah I have a lawyer that does firearm specific cases. He wants $150 to send a demand to him

21 - 40 of 59 Posts