AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been looking and saving for an AK for months.. found a supposed FB Radom Polish Import from the 90s. Guy swore up and down it wasn't a frankenbuild or a parts kit and it was all original and genuine. I posted it to a few places and nobody caught that it was just a botched home build.. and plus this guy was some old farmer.. I figured who else could I trust. In confidence I paid $1100 for what I thought was a FB Radom AK47... took it to a gunsmith to get it looked at so I could learn more about it and it came to my knowledge that it's just an 80% reciever with no serial that they lasered in the FB markings to make it look genuine, all crappy cast parts (bolt carrier, trunnion ect.), random American wood hand guards, vepr stock, a full auto trigger that was grinded down... just an overall horrible horrible build. The gun light primer strikes, feels like it shoots completely off and the trigger sometimes doesn't wanna reset. According to the gun Smith the way the trunnion was put in it completely messed up the reciever too. Is there any saving this gun? The guy won't refund my money and claims ignorance not dishonesty. Taking him to court would end up costing more than the gun. Ideally I'd like to not just say goodbye to $1.1k and attempt to salvage this gun and make it great. Is it possible and is it worth it?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And if you guys would like to see any specific pictures just let me know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can you send a better pic of the trunnion, it looks like he did a horrible job grinding off the original trunnion marking and hand stamped the numbers on.
if it’s not a cast trunnion and bolt
I would check the headspace and make sure it’s good.
run it! And have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
better yet was it a local purchase or a GB , if a online then out him

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you send a better pic of the trunnion, it looks like he did a horrible job grinding off the original trunnion marking and hand stamped the numbers on.
if it’s not a cast trunnion and bolt
I would check the headspace and make sure it’s good.
run it! And have fun with it.
Yeah I can do that. Leaving for work now it'll have to wait

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
buy a keg of roofing nails , find out where he lives and drive by every now and again nd chuck a fist full or two at the end of his drive

Reactions: tnhick and Nongmee

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
timber rattler in his mail box , after a couple months of this then request your refund again

Reactions: jason4473

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah I can do that. Leaving for work now it'll have to wait
I don’t want to ask how much you paid, if it was under $1000 you could easily just keep it and use it for a parts gun, as long as the headspace and barrel is ok, shoot it out then replace the front trunnion with a new WBP and get a new barrel, and you can get your money’s worth out of it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That said looking at the rivet job I would be worried that the headspace is not correct.
Yeah I'm pretty sure just about everything is fucked up on this gun.. that's why I'm not sure if I should try to rebuild it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That said looking at the rivet job I would be worried that the headspace is not correct.
If the head space isn't right what all would I need to do? New trunnion and reciever? I remember the Smith saying something about how he put the trunnion in was all wonky and I know they cut the reciever for the vepr stock.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Guy swore up and down it wasn't a frankenbuild or a parts kit and it was all original and genuine.
The guy won't refund my money and claims ignorance not dishonesty.
Conflicting statements. He 'swore' that it was a legit Polish built. Claiming ignorance is not a valid excuse.

I dont know if this amounts to any kind of theft where police would create a report for you. It doesnt hurt to ask. That would give you standing to small claims. It is definately a bait and switch type of move and fraud in my book.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Conflicting statements. He 'swore' that it was a legit Polish built. Claiming ignorance is not a valid excuse.

I dont know if this amounts to any kind of theft where police would create a report for you. It doesnt hurt to ask. That would give you standing to small claims. It is definately a bait and switch type of move and fraud in my book.
fraud , but it involves a lawsuit , not something a prosecutor will take up , if he had purchased on the internet , sent through the mail , might have a few options , OP is going to have to look at it as a learning experience

early on in my K98 days i made a bad buy at a show , just cant let it eat you up and learn from it , granted mine was for less than half what OP is out but this was in the early 90's when i was getting ramped up in K98s , i still have that bubba , going to make it into a faux sniper , cant sell it , cant part it out , shoots straight with a great bore so i just use it as a reminder to do do diligence and if it doesnt feel right , dont take the chance

Reactions: scottyb

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I thought about getting ahold of the ATF and blasting him selling me an unserialized lower/ "ghost gun"... but I'm not sure. My lawyer will send him a demand threatening legal action for $150 but im still not sure what I wanna do.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts