AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a harbour frieght tig and hook the thing up to get nothing of use! i got it all dolled up and turn it on to just hear the dam box buzz a little. it will sense when the tip gets touched on the metal and start buzzing for a little bit and then stop untill i repeat this.
the gas works great though!!!! :evil:
i put int the arc cord in and still no heat just starts buzzing............

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Dont feel bad my buddy david paid out the rear for one off a Cornwell tool truck. It was a Miller and it took 2 of them before he got one that worked. :smile:

·
Registered
832 Posts
just gotta do this.....i have $450 in this $2400 miller tig and it works like a champ!! i love my cheap tig, and of course my little ak-nut too :grin: :lol:

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
getit said:
just gotta do this.....i have $450 in this $2400 miller tig and it works like a champ!! i love my cheap tig, and of course my little ak-nut too :grin: :lol:
WTF^^^^I have no hair..Your the one rocking the mullit just 5 years ago..

Sucks on your welder bro..

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I never took up TIG because the equipment is just out of my price range to do it well. I don't trust the less expensive units. They lack the controls you need to do it well.

Sorry to hear that HF unit didn't work at all for you. :neutral:

I was using my Miller DC arc welder to assemble a HF trailer kit today. (I don't trust the bolts alone to hold it together.) I'm chopping up and customizing this trailer to make it into a lightweight sidecar rig hauler. I'll have $400 in it once I'm done. That, and a couple days of sweat equity! 7014 rod at 90 amps is perfect for a project like this.

Pics:

Both my MIG and Arc welder are Miller units. I love 'em. Great tools! The MIG is good for my seat hardware projects and my AK projects. Good TIG welding will always be the gold standard. But the MIG has been great for welding holes shut, building the trunnion bottom for the SF stock latch and some other stuff.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I seen guys who bolted these together later find bolts missing when they got to their destination!

I installed them with an impact driver after squaring the frame up.

Then I go back and weld up the joints to back up the fasteners.

These trailers rattle down the road and get shook all over the place. You gotta build them well to get safe use from them! Me? I'd rather do this labor well now and not on the side of the freeway somewhere later on.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Never messed with the HF TIG setups, but some of the lower-end TIG machines are a scratch-start, meaning you need to apply some pressure and drag it a bit to fire up the arc. Kinda like stick welding.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, i ran that bitch up and down some steel pretty hard and got nothing. slut tease whore! :twisted:
i did the same with the arc rod holder tio be sure and got the same response.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Yeah, time to take it back for an exchange. Hope the next one works OK for you. At least HF is good about exchanging stuff.

My son has a number of TIG certifications now and repairs propellors at his job. He warned me off the cheaper HF units. Described for me how they lack the pedal control for better arc starts and stated that the ones his cheap boss bought all wound up as scrap metal quickly in daily use. The quality just wasn't there in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts