AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is like the AK47 to AKM transition, where the smooth top covered RPKs are older, and the ribbed top covered RPKs are newer?

·
Super Moderator
10,307 Posts
True per blueprint built RPK's have the smooth cover. The Romanians only used ribbed covers as a stop gap measure when they built their RPK's and could in a sense be deem "correct from the factory" but not "correct to blueprint".

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
Here's some uncaptioned photos showing some RPK's with ribbed top covers:

And here's an interesting thought - we know East German RPK's were likely Russian but their manual shows them with ribbed top covers.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ill bet those rifles you posted Ray-Man are re-issued. NO RPK I have ever seen new has a ribbed dust cover. Been there, seen that, DONE that. :byefu:

·
Registered
4,359 Posts
I had an all matching Romanian RPK kit from SPG. These were the kits without barrels they had. Anyway, my kit had a ribbed dust cover and the serial number on it matched to the other parts.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
my 1988 kit is smooth

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
My 1977 all matching ROM RPK-47 kit has a smooth topcover but I can very easily imagine both getting used. Very easily.

ETA; Now RPK-74's........they were all smooth.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
The RPK-74's are going to have a smooth top cover. I think they were made late enough in the game were that's going to be a given.

But the RPK's could probably be found with a ribbed cover, especially in combat (swapping out, etc.). I agree with Tomovich - I can also see both being used quite easily on Russian RPK's. The Romanian RPK's seemed to be found with both styles as a standard.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I think the Russian ones in fact started out ribbed. I have a 1964 dated RPK manual where all pictured are ribbed.

·
Registered
8,007 Posts
I have to agree on that - I've seen photos of early Russian RPK's and I've observed ribbed top covers as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts