AK Rifles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had in my 62 yrs fired several AKs and owned ARs. Fired full auto ones also, but i always gravitated to the AR given personal choice.
That has changed. After owning my first AK, a wasr , Im sold on the AK platform.
After catching on to the iron sights which wasnt that hard and realizing one can mount any optic one wishes to one, i honestly wouldnt trade this thing for any AR 15 built.
Scoped I can shoot sub 1MOA groups with it at 100 yards. And and do it in rain , mud, aint cleaned it for a month , with ammo that costs less than half but hits harder.
AK is simple , tough , reliable, and will do anything I will ever ask of it. Granted a 300 yard shot where i live is almost impossible because of terrain. So ill never be asking it to hit anything at 500. Even though ive watched AKs make 600 yard hits on man size steel.

I can hunt anything that walks around here with it, defend my home and self with it, without having to fuss over it.

Never was crazy about prom queen type women. Gorgeous biker chick always was thing.
Guess that must carry over to my rifles. Lol

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Best not to claim accuracy with any rifle on an internet forum because somebody will always take issue with your claim.
A rifleman that knows his tool can do amazing things even at distance.
Aks are great rifles we all agree with that and they can shoot very well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sub.,or even MOA with an AK and/or a WASR is very rare.
You must have gptten an exceptional one.
;)

Typical AK groups are is 3-4 MOA
Actually it surprized me a little also. Because that is what ive read also.
Granted im a decent shot, its off of bags front and rear. No wind the times i shot at 100.
Or maybe ive gotten lucky a few times .
But so far its held pretty much that size group .

·
Technical Advisor
16,189 Posts
It is about the rifle and ammunition as much as the rifleman.
Accuracy expectations of an AK with milspec ammunition is well documented in Soviet and other military documents.

Some riles and rifleman can attain groups that are better than the expected performance of the rifle, the ammunition and the average rifleman.

That is exceptional., but possible.

The internet also has many claims of exceptional accuracy.
;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is about the rifle and ammunition as much as the rifleman.
Accuracy expectations of an AK with milspec ammunition is well documented in Soviet and other military documents.

Some riles and rifleman can attain groups that are better than the expected performance of the rifle, the ammunition and the average rifleman.

That is exceptional., but possible.

The internet also has many claims of exceptional accuracy.
;)
Best not to claim accuracy with any rifle on an internet forum because somebody will always take issue with your claim.
A rifleman that knows his tool can do amazing things even at distance.
Aks are great rifles we all agree with that and they can shoot very well.
I see what you mean lol.

·
Technical Advisor
16,189 Posts
I did not take issue or dispute your claim., but noted that your performance and the rifle and ammunition are exceptional.
Congratulations. :)

·
Premium Member
2,712 Posts
I like AK's. That's pretty obvious, since I'm here. However, if I had to make the choice, I would choose the AR-15 every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. (Specifically, FN or LMT) To each his own. They both have their good points, as well as their bad. No one tool is perfect for every situation.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had in my 62 yrs fired several AKs and owned ARs. Fired full auto ones also, but i always gravitated to the AR given personal choice.
That has changed. After owning my first AK, a wasr , Im sold on the AK platform.
After catching on to the iron sights which wasnt that hard and realizing one can mount any optic one wishes to one, i honestly wouldnt trade this thing for any AR 15 built.
Scoped I can shoot sub 1MOA groups with it at 100 yards. And and do it in rain , mud, aint cleaned it for a month , with ammo that costs less than half but hits harder.
AK is simple , tough , reliable, and will do anything I will ever ask of it. Granted a 300 yard shot where i live is almost impossible because of terrain. So ill never be asking it to hit anything at 500. Even though ive watched AKs make 600 yard hits on man size steel.

I can hunt anything that walks around here with it, defend my home and self with it, without having to fuss over it.

Never was crazy about prom queen type women. Gorgeous biker chick always was thing.
Guess that must carry over to my rifles. Lol
Welcome to the dark side!!
I was always an AR guy until about 4-5 years ago, I built my first AK on a polish parts kit and fell in love with the platform: to me it is the perfect battle rifle in almost every way. And much much better in cold climates than every Military rifle that I know of!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always had respect for the AK’s place in the annals of small arms, but hadn’t had interest in owning one until recently. It’s just simpler to stick with what you know. Can’t really say what has pushed me into this direction (or this forum), other than the acknowledgment of the Kalashnikov reputation…and not so much a technical or performance perspective.

My foray into this will be via the latest Galil. That IWI.US has a public service discount and convenient direct order online, makes the decision fairly easy. Not 100% AK, but should be a good fit (and start) for my collection.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was familiar with the 7.62x39 rd due to a sks that i ownd several yrs. Killed a few deer with it. One out to 200 yrds with irons , which is about as long a shot distance one is likely to get on a deer where i live due to terrain.
So the lobbing trajectory of the rd wasnt new to me.
The 10 rd limit of the sks put me off though as it was the primary home farm defense etc rifle along with my late wife and my pistols we carried daily.

I didnt truck my AR around that much . The sks had that role. The ar 5.56 was relegated to specfically anti human defense as imo the 223 is a marginal deer round much less a bear defence rd.
The wasr will run plenty accurate for any range ill need it to do.
Its dirty, it runs
Its dry it runs
Recoil spring breaks it can atill be fired like a bolt action.
Gas system fails same thing it can be run.
Im pretty comfortable being able to take down anything that walks in my state with 30 rds of 7.62x39 fmj if i need too.

Ive never been a gun " collector" all my guns are working guns, hauled around, exposed to the elements carried daily, shot at least a few rds often. I keep the maintenance up on them but not fanatical about it.

The AK 47 just meets all my needs in a rifle without having to be babied.

Since i got my glasses i almost prefer the iron at 100 yrds etc to a scope. Though ill run the scope on it for the granddaughters to deer hunt with .
Really like the rifle alot. Other than maybe one day getting a bolt 243 again cant imagine needing another rifle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts