AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any parmedics/docs here who can educate me on IV fluids.

My limited knowledge is that standard saline is administered in many situations to simply keep people hydrated and to keep Blood quantity up?

I'd like to add some IV stuff to my medical supplies and wanted to know what was involved. I already have a box of the catheters which I think is the hardest item to find.

I am less concerned about the techniques involved in administering it as I would imagine there will always be somebody around that is trained to start an IV. My thinking is that within a half mile of me there are probably 100 docs, 1000 nurses etc and NONE of them probably keep supplies on hand.

·
Super Moderator
25,857 Posts
I"m CLS qualified, and while it seems like a good idea to keep IV bags in a med kit, their shelf life is short.
Its harder than you think getting an IV in, it took me several tries to get it right.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Like posted above, the shelf life sucks, the tubes turn yellow after a couple years as well. I dunno how to check the catheters without removing then from the packaging, but if the tubes go bad in sealed plastic Id be willing to bet your catheters will do the same thing. Unless you get this stuff for free I can imagine it will cost you a bit to replenish your stocks, expect to buy new stuff every 3 years if you want to stock this stuff. If youre gonna stock it Id suggest learning to use it as well, I dont know any schools outside the military that teach you to give an IV without becoming a RN or MD.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can understand the tubes yellowing from UV but does that make them unusable in SHTF?

Also the .9% saline should be stable for a LONG time. Perhaps its the containers that are made biodegradable by the MFR.

·
Super Moderator
25,857 Posts
Robpiat said:
I can understand the tubes yellowing from UV but does that make them unusable in SHTF?

Also the .9% saline should be stable for a LONG time. Perhaps its the containers that are made biodegradable by the MFR.
I"m not sure, but I"ll ask our medic about that. If your able to rotate your stock, and know how to give an IV, or saline lock, go for it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Check with DragoonIX.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've been a paramedic for 14 years and always keep a well supplied jump bag in the car and home. Wifes a trauma nurse too, if I go down she damn sure better put me back together!! HaHa. My home bag is fairly complete with IV fluids, sutures, airway devices, trauma dressing, ect. ect. As for the IV fluids, administration sets, and catheters have a fairly long shelf life if kept out of direct sunlight. The fluids are good for dehydration, but in a trauma situation they are used to increas volume whithin the vascular system so you are less likely to crash. They are still no substitute for whole blood wich has that all valuable ability to carry O2, which normal saline does not. If you really need whole blood in a trauma situation and have no avilable ER or trauma center you are probably going to die anyway :grin: Plug hole, replace what was lost, pray!!

·
Registered
709 Posts
N.Franklin said:
If youre gonna stock it Id suggest learning to use it as well, I dont know any schools outside the military that teach you to give an IV without becoming a RN or MD.
The guys hanging out down by the homeless shelter with the sign that says "Please Help" might be able to show you how to run an IV. And I'm only half joking. I've seen more than one junkie that was turned loose by county hospital with a couple of IV antibiotic bags and instructions to run the IV themselves.

·
Registered
378 Posts
BuckG said:
N.Franklin said:
If youre gonna stock it Id suggest learning to use it as well, I dont know any schools outside the military that teach you to give an IV without becoming a RN or MD.
The guys hanging out down by the homeless shelter with the sign that says "Please Help" might be able to show you how to run an IV. And I'm only half joking. I've seen more than one junkie that was turned loose by county hospital with a couple of IV antibiotic bags and instructions to run the IV themselves.
Would you trust your life to a junkie? :cool:

·
Registered
875 Posts
transfusion

The fluids are good for dehydration, but in a trauma situation they are used to increas volume whithin the vascular system so you are less likely to crash. They are still no substitute for whole blood wich has that all valuable ability to carry O2, which normal saline does not. If you really need whole blood in a trauma situation and have no avilable ER or trauma center you are probably going to die anyway Plug hole, replace what was lost, pray!!
I saw a combat medic (who was a er nurse in the civy world) perform a temporary transfusion in iraq. there was no dustoff due to sandstorms and we had to take the humvees all the way back to LSAA. I am cls qualified and know a little, but couldn't follow all of it. im pretty sure he basically used an iv catheter on each end and gravity somehow. too bad i cant remember it all.. it would b useful. just better be damn sure you know your bloodtypes. :goof:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts