AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. The ORF VZ-58 receiver has been out for a bit now, and I know quite a few members purchased them...I guess I'm just surprised that I haven't heard of many builds thus far, especially since this forum was such a huge part of the receiver's creation. Are any of you building on these yet?

Sorry if this has been covered before..I've gotten wrapped up in a Soviet AKS-74 clone, and I haven't been to the Czech section for a bit.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I've put together two.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
I have one completed and 11 more ready for paint but missing fcg parts, haven't had the cash for the compliance parts yet. Took a bit of fitting but they seem to be sweet.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Same here, some fitting here and there but nothing major. The biggest problem I had was with the lack of press fit of the barrel to trunnion/barrel-hole. I had the barrel knurled, which solved the fit issue... but upon pressing the barrel in it had the tendency to twist to one side. So I had a bit of an issue getting the sights lined up... but that's not entirely the receivers fault. For future reference, I'd probably only knurl 3/4 of the barrel area. The other known issue is that the cut that holds the piston keeper thing (crescent shaped piece) isn't deep enough, but that's an easy fix. Also, the trigger in the compliance parts set is a little too long... it catches on the trigger guard. Again, easy fix.

The hardest part for me was figuring out how the FCG went together as I'd never seen a whole rifle in any detail. Now that I know that though, two rivets, press and pin barrel then assemble. Snap.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Jacques said:
How did you get the rivets in? I have seen ORFs cut punch, but wondering if there is another way.
Good old American ingenuity. I set the trigger guard rivets by hand. I made the tools to do so from some .5" bar stock from the hardware store, drill (for the buck), angle grinder (file will work).. etc. and a punch set. Whatever works. Don't buy a tool when you can make your own within an hours time.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SA58 said:
Same here, some fitting here and there but nothing major. The biggest problem I had was with the lack of press fit of the barrel to trunnion/barrel-hole. I had the barrel knurled, which solved the fit issue... but upon pressing the barrel in it had the tendency to twist to one side. So I had a bit of an issue getting the sights lined up... but that's not entirely the receivers fault. For future reference, I'd probably only knurl 3/4 of the barrel area. The other known issue is that the cut that holds the piston keeper thing (crescent shaped piece) isn't deep enough, but that's an easy fix. Also, the trigger in the compliance parts set is a little too long... it catches on the trigger guard. Again, easy fix.
I truly appreciate all of the work Todd and the folks at ORF do, not only with the VZ-58 receiver, but also with the Galil receivers and others. That said, I respectfully question how it is possible to have such terrible QC. I just don't get it...I've had two of the most respected builders in the AK community flat out refuse to work on any more of their receivers, and one who would only do it if I paid twice his normal fee :sad: I really am excited about the ORF VZ-58 I'll be building soon, but the lack of consistency in their products does bother me. I know they put out a lot of receivers, and therefore there will be problems that come to light...but then again, so does DCI, and they have almost zero problems.

Anyway, just a few comments. I'm not trying to start any problems. Todd is a really nice guy, and I do appreciate his efforts.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Jacques said:
How did you get the rivets in? I have seen ORFs cut punch, but wondering if there is another way.
orf cut a punch so they can rivet with the spring installed. You should not need a cut punch as you should turn down rivet head so spring sits around it. The spring should not be riveted down.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
[quote="mco119 I know they put out a lot of receivers, and therefore there will be problems that come to light...but then again, so does DCI, and they have almost zero problems.

[/quote]

you cant compare a galil or vz58 receiver to an akm

I too wish todd would step up qc and add a few $$ but for the price these receivers are the best you'll get

·
Registered
227 Posts
obiwanbonjovi said:
Jacques said:
orf cut a punch so they can rivet with the spring installed. You should not need a cut punch as you should turn down rivet head so spring sits around it. The spring should not be riveted down.
I haven't got that far yet, but what holds the spring down?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
obiwanbonjovi said:
....but for the price these receivers are the best you'll get
I certainly don't doubt that. I AM excited about owning one of these receivers, and I think the price (especially the pre-buy forum price) is outstanding compared to other options. Like I said, Todd's a cool guy to deal with, too. Still, if you drop $250 (or $350 for those who didn't get the forum price) on something, you should be able to fairly expect it to run with little problems out of the gate. You shouldn't have to deal with "fitting" on a $250 item. Again, I'm excited to get this receiver. Just minor frustration on my part.

Hope I'm not going to cause my own thread to get locked...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I expected some fitting. This is pretty much a new adventure, a lot more complex on the receiver end then an AK, or an AR for that matter. AR receivers, you just machine them mil-spec, everyone exactly the same. These on the other hand....there is too much variation in the kits to really get a grasp on what is consistent. I would tend to believe there was a lot of hand fitting in the assy line on these.

I understand what you are saying, but I have seen people with quality problems with CMMG, Stag, Keltec(OH MY GOD SEVERE) etc. etc . I bought a Nodak Spud receiver a couple of months ago and the selector hole was a little off. There is always a work around. Not everything is perfect in this perfect world :grin:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jacques said:
This is pretty much a new adventure, a lot more complex on the receiver end then an AK, or an AR for that matter....there is too much variation in the kits to really get a grasp on what is consistent. I would tend to believe there was a lot of hand fitting in the assy line on these.
Excellent points. Probably helps explain in large part what's going on.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
Jacques said:
obiwanbonjovi said:
Jacques said:
I haven't got that far yet, but what holds the spring down?
The selector holds it in place it should fit around rivet though, the rivet keeps it from sliding forward and back.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Boss429 said:
What does the ORF barrel fixture do?
Let me ask this question a different way. I've pressed 5 AK barrels and never needed anything like the ORF barrel fixture-What's different?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Boss429 said:
Let me ask this question a different way. I've pressed 5 AK barrels and never needed anything like the ORF barrel fixture-What's different?
On the AK the rear sight block centers between a couple of ears on the front trunnion. This helps with the alignment when pressing the barrel in. If the sight block isn't between the ears it's not going on correctly

The Vz.58 does not have this alignment feature. You need to be fairly close for this. This is where the fixture comes in or you can eyeball it. This fixture is not required but it helps out.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm looking at my vz58 kit and follow you %100, just can't picture the jig in use from the picture Rapid fire has posted on their site.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts