AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,616 Posts
I had one. They are really cool and work well, however mine fogged up really bad and got condensation in it at a rainy training class. The rear lens then dislodged and fell out.

All optics go bad .01%-1% of the time, even Leupold, Aimpoint, IOR, Night Force etc. When your Russian scope fails you will fee a cavernous emptiness around you when looking for a repair center or customer service.

I have since decided I would rather have 1-2 rifles setup right, than a bunch of half-assed ones. I picked up an Ultimak and an Aimpoint Micro(Which is the most expensive optic I own, what a ripoff) and it is a tough combo to beat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
Robpiat said:
I have since decided I would rather have 1-2 rifles setup right, than a bunch of half-assed ones. I picked up an Ultimak and an Aimpoint Micro(Which is the most expensive optic I own, what a ripoff) and it is a tough combo to beat.
I googled the Aimpoint Micro and saw some of the asking prices. :shock:
They were asking more than I paid for my Aimpoint Comp ML2 with La Rue Mount,both being used. I couldn't justify paying nearly $500 for the sight alone,especially when you could find Aimpoints used for a fair price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
It's the first Generation PK-A, I have the updated version, PK-AV, those reddots are not quite as robust as the rifle they are designed to mount on.probably a lot less strong than the PSO or POSP scopes. mine have seem about 500 rounds of 5.45 so far and has already begin to show problems related to the switch self turned off while shooting. They are very fine collector pieces but are not best choices for long term field usage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,616 Posts
bazkook said:
Robpiat said:
I have since decided I would rather have 1-2 rifles setup right, than a bunch of half-assed ones. I picked up an Ultimak and an Aimpoint Micro(Which is the most expensive optic I own, what a ripoff) and it is a tough combo to beat.
I googled the Aimpoint Micro and saw some of the asking prices. :shock:
They were asking more than I paid for my Aimpoint Comp ML2 with La Rue Mount,both being used. I couldn't justify paying nearly $500 for the sight alone,especially when you could find Aimpoints used for a fair price.
Well the micro has the mount built in when using it with the ultimak. No need for additional gadgets. I figured I could buy a used ML2/ML2 for $300 or so. The Micro T-1 was 465 shipped from DPMS when they had a sale going. I have always been very stingy on optics and just wanted to do 1 rifle right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,948 Posts
I like mine and still use it. Actually I was out playing with it Sunday on a hot open field, blew through 180 rounds or so.

I've probably put 2k of 7.62x39 on mine, if not more. 3 Weeks ago the rear lens cracked on me:



So I finished breaking it up and removed it... I then inquired about it to a few different people... Doug (Tantal) is the only one that gave me a real response.

I have seen this happen before, they often have a little slack in the rear glass and this allows it to bounce around when the rifle is fired, often getting broken. This piece of clear glass is uncoated and not optically important in any way, but serves to keep the interior of the sight clear of debris. If you can bust the glass out without disassembling anything, you can get it out with needle nose after it's in two pieces. Push it with your finger and see if you can angle it sideways, then pull it out. The gas is already gone, I can almost assure you. I see no reason why you can't disassemble it if you wish to replace the glass. I would also mount a rubber o-ring of the correct size to act as a recoil absorber. VCR belts of the correct diameter work great for this.
The Functionality of the unit has not been affected by the busted rear lense and I continue to use it... I'm still trying to figure out a way to seal up the rear unit with a new lens of some sort. I was thinking about using the Glare hider/extension deal and installing a piece of robust glass and sealing it that way... either way. I've put mine through some pounding and continue to have fun with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
That must be one of those Russian optics that I keep hearing about - you know, the ones "built like a tank."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,948 Posts
Thekatar said:
That must be one of those Russian optics that I keep hearing about - you know, the ones "built like a tank."
Russian thinking:

If it falls off, it must not have needed it.


American thinking:

Fucking pile of shit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,374 Posts
Tyrvidar said:
Thekatar said:
That must be one of those Russian optics that I keep hearing about - you know, the ones "built like a tank."
Russian thinking:

If it falls off, it must not have needed it.


American thinking:

Fucking pile of shit

:grin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like the answer to my question is "no". Ah well.
Have to save up for something better then.

Thanks guys!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
344 Posts
Thekatar said:
That must be one of those Russian optics that I keep hearing about - you know, the ones "built like a tank."
Thats what i heard too, but they were not talking tiger tank but a sherman,
Friend bought one, it fogged very easily and somehow the rear lens fell out and busted, during first week and he returned and and got a hassle so he called his cc co. and is disputing the charge! Poor dude! :roll: :shock:
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top