AK Rifles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved houses, and had to move my guns. After the move, I inspected each firearm for rust. After disassembling my SGL-21 (true Legion import from 2009, not a conversion); I noticed that the front sight base seemed to be sloppily welded to the barrel, what appears to be extra weld on the seam and face of the crown. I assume this was done here in the states by Kvar/Arsenal.

I immediately pulled the muzzle brake off of my Arsenal SLR-105, and noticed it looks immaculate and smooth.

Questions: Is this normal and will it affect accuracy?

First two pics are of the SGL-21 crown and last are
of the SLR-105 crown.

(P.S. the SLR-105 is the most accurate AK that I own)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree that it's not welded. That will come off with a little elbow grease. I really like this BRASS scraper:

OTIS BRASS SCRAPER SET | Brownells

I worked at an indoor shooting range that had a Gatlin gun and I had to use a mallet on the end of the brass scraper to chip off the carbon fouling in the action of that thing. A good solvent and a BRASS brush works wonders too. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I agree that it's not welded. That will come off with a little elbow grease. I really like this BRASS scraper:

OTIS BRASS SCRAPER SET | Brownells

I worked at an indoor shooting range that had a Gatlin gun and I had to use a mallet on the end of the brass scraper to chip off the carbon fouling in the action of that thing. A good solvent and a BRASS brush works wonders too. Good luck!
+1 on using a brass scraper. Definitely softer than the barrel and won't cause any crown damage with an errant slip.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Please do not use a motorized wire wheel to get this off.
Soak in whatever you want PB Blaster,Kroil whatever.
Dental tools or other kind of metal picks will work.
I tested the boiling water method on a demilled barrel tip and that worked too.
Softened up the crud and it scraped off easily.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts