AK Rifles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time listener, first time caller!

Looking at a Centruy Imported Wasr 10/36. The usual symptoms are there, canted front sight post, wide open magazine well.
Upon inspecting it further I observed a twist to the receiver that seems to start around the magazine well.
Additionally, the rear trunnion seems to buldge out the rear of the receiver. The bolt cycles, by hand, just fine and doesn't jump the rails. There is some rub on the piston on the sight block and gas block, but isn't really gouging the piston head or rod. There is marking consistent with the piston head rubbing on the interior of the gas tube, but doesn't feel rough to the touch.

Is this all typical Century "quality" or is this more of a leave at lone kind of condition.
Any insight would be much appreciated
Wood Building Flooring Floor Cylinder

Comfort Wood Grey Flooring Art

Bumper Finger Everyday carry Gas Wrist

Musical instrument Automotive tire Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Reed instrument

·
Registered
718 Posts
It shouldn’t be a Century built gun if it’s a true WASR. Should have been imported. No telling how the receiver got bent; your pictures aren’t the greatest. Does it shoot fine? If it shoots fine then whatever.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It shouldn’t be a Century built gun if it’s a true WASR. Should have been imported. No telling how the receiver got bent; your pictures aren’t the greatest. Does it shoot fine? If it shoots fine then whatever.
Yes,

It's a CAI import, not a domestic build.

Haven't shot it as I am mulling over trading for it.

I'm starting to get the sense that a twist to the receiver isn't an inherently problematic matter.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Welcome to the group!

The Romanians weren't known for their quality build but they usually function like an AKM should. Century builds were anywhere on the board from good luck to no problem.

The fact that your bolt cycles ok is a good sign, and the gas piston rubbing anywhere in the front is not unusual. I have several AK variants with gouge marks on the end sides of the gas piston yet the rifle functions properly. That is why the piston is supposed to be slightly loose on the carrier. To be able bounce around within reason and not affect bolt cycling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Romy Sars 2 Aims has a slightly offset gas block (not unusual given others comments) altho the front sight is aligned...the piston shows mild contact but nothing out of the ordinary but runs flawlessly and is very accurate.
Shooting tells the tale....one of my favorite shooters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, so now that I've spent more time with it, this is where I'm at.

I think a majority of the problems are stemming from how the Rifle Dynamics AR Buffer tube adapter was installed.
In an attempt to remove just the castle nut I tried:
  • Kroil
  • heat gun
  • Brute force with a hammer and brass punch
Using an AR Armorels tool and a vice, the castle nut had not budged. I'm at a point where I believe the installer used entirely too much force to cinch it down and, in turn, warped the rear trunnion and receiver. It's a guess, but the drift of the receiver is in the same direction as the threads, and while in a vice, the movement of the receiver was in similar fashion (the lower area flexed more than the railed section) to the force against the castle nut.

The canted sights, however, fixed with a hammer and wood.

Is it functional? Appears so. Still haven't had time to shoot it, but hand cycling the weapon gives me no reason to believe there is any area the BCG would bind.

But that stupid crooked ass buffer tube is driving me nuts and I really want it off.

Is there merit to getting a new receiver and rear trunnion and treating this like a parts kit? Or am I really over thinking this and need to let it be?

Ultimately, I'd like to get milsurp romanian furniture and restore it to its original glory...

·
Registered
158 Posts
They are imported by century, which is usually their best product line. Yet century in general would ship anything out their door working or not. Just a mix bag at best buying from them. Hope you can fix the twist in the reciever.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok.

So.

Ended up cutting off the castle nut on buffer tube and with some serious heat, was able to defeat the obnoxious amount of red loctite applied.
Skipping through some rookie stuff, drilled out one of the screws attaching the adapter to the rear trunnion tang.
It appears the barrel is straight, and lines up to the rear trunnion, but front trunnion off to the right significantly. Funny enough, I don't think the front sight post is canted, seems lined up with the sight block.
I'm going to get it back up enough with some parts to test fire it, honestly I don't forsee that being too much of an issue, as contact with piston rod to gas tube and sight block is there, but doesn't seem compromising and bcg moves in and out of battery freely.
I guess I'll chuck this up to yet another "quirky" century arms build...

Thanks for everyone's input!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts