AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
697 Posts
The wooden toggles are a very big clue..... But the color looks off... I am not the total expert. Could be ......hopefully someone else will chime in

G

·
0 Posts
I think those shoulder pads came off of a PKM sling?
BTW, I need some...anyone got a source of original ones or perhaps some nice reproductions. PM me.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
(As worn) the far left pocket does not look rubberized???

That would be a good sign it is not ChiCom in origin

As mentioned the toggles DEFINATELY do not look ChiCom

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Possibly Vietnamese ??? Does it hold 3 or 6 mags ??

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
pouch

Chinese, i have one taken in the first gulf war with a rebublican gaurd stamp, also have one with the chinese stamps

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had alot of req for more pictures, so here's some more detailed one I took when home on leave...

Loaded with 6 AK-74 mags

Close-up of toggles

Accessory pouch that has pocket inside with second elastic band. My other Chicom rig does NOT have this

Back (shitty pic)

Chicom rig

G

·
0 Posts
Do I see a faint hint of Arabic writing on the chest rig, in the above pics?
Yep it sure does...Iraqi bringback...probably Chinese.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chicom above was brought back by me from Afghanistan, I just posted it to show the difference.

I mailed it home before I could have any terps translate it, but probably Pashto, maybe Urdu or Dari...

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
m

People's Army said:
The Shoulder pads look like they are off a Soviet Yoke Harness. :grin:
I was thinking the same thing the padded straps don't look chinese.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
From my undertanding, the pads are used on the harness but also put on other things. When they're put on a Russian sling, you have the instant "RPK padded sling." :smile:

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
My best guess would be Soviet,........................whats the story on the Panama Hat? I'd like to see more pics of it too!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Panama "Afghanka" hat I bought at a FOB in Afghanistan, there's a vendor that sells Russian items and sometimes has pretty neat stuff. They generally have them in stock for $15-20 unissued, but usually with the red star pin, not the subdued one I got. On my way through Bagram coming back from leave I found the other common hat the Soviets wore during the war, looks like a patrol cap w/ ear flaps in the same color tan, but I don't know what it's called. I'll post pics of that when I can...

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
kaltesherz said:
The Panama "Afghanka" hat I bought at a FOB in Afghanistan, there's a vendor that sells Russian items and sometimes has pretty neat stuff. They generally have them in stock for $15-20 unissued, but usually with the red star pin, not the subdued one I got. On my way through Bagram coming back from leave I found the other common hat the Soviets wore during the war, looks like a patrol cap w/ ear flaps in the same color tan, but I don't know what it's called. I'll post pics of that when I can...
i got one & was told it was some kind of experimental hat. does it have like a face mask?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, it's just like all the other hats in pictures from the 80's, it seems if they weren't wearing an Afghanka or Ushanka they were wearing one of these. As soon as I get back to my cop in a few days I'll post pictures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts