AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered a Russian SKS today for 300 dollars. I wish I had a photo to post but I will try to describe the best I can. Dark wood in good shape, all numbers match, is marked 1950R on the top, no cleaning kit in the butt.
I am not very versed in the SKS world so any info is appreciated. All I know is that I bought my Yugo a long time ago for a lot less.

Thanks for any info.

· Registered
1,871 Posts
that sounds like a good deal, most i see are over $400, and if the bores in good shape it should make a good shooter for ya. go for it

· Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey_hi_its_me_vlad said:
sks's are cool, and thats a good price, just don't get too crazy with putting gay things on it :smile:
I have never been into a lot of addons. The Yugo I have is all original with nothing more. I like them better that way. I have seen some tactical sks rigs before, just not my taste.

I just did not know about the price. The last time I though about buying one they were in the 125-150 range so 300 seemed kind of high.

I like to check the market before buying something that is not on my radar.

Thanks for the info guys.

· Registered
422 Posts
That,s a good price, the dated indicated an early russian.
If it is a russian and not the receiver cover on a chinese, that is a real good price.

· Registered
8,046 Posts
Also, most 1950 dated Soviet SKS rifles have a factory spring loaded firing pin. Makes them worth a bit more in some circles.

You may find a rectangle/square stamp on the receiver cover that indicates an arsenal rebuild.

The best indicator I have found for an original, non-rearsenaled rifle is the bayonet screw. Unrebuilt, original rifles have two stake marks to retain the screw. Arsenal rebuilds will have four or more.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
A 1954 tula went on this forum recently for $360 shipped
About 90% Russian SKS rifles I've seen here are 1953-54 dated.
So 1950 is a good catch, unless parts were swopped out.

What I don't get is why these superb S/A rifles that are chambered in a cheap-to-shoot caliber, all original Russian, no longer impoted, and never nutered are so cheap? Cheaper than a slapped together Century plinkers. Some things just don't make sence.
And that's my 3 Rubles (10 cents)

· Registered
3,318 Posts
serzant said:
What I don't get is why these superb S/A rifles that are chambered in a cheap-to-shoot caliber, all original Russian, no longer impoted, and never nutered are so cheap?
Because they came in for less than $100. Back in '06 the Yugos were flooding us with SKSs for $150 and now they're up to $400. So the price DID go up, it's just that it was so cheap to begin with that doubling the price still leaves it being cheap, lol.

At least, that's what I assume :smile:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.