AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter Rifle
I have been wanting to get an AK clone so I can use the less expensive 7.62x39 ammo. I like that the Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter Rifle is American made. The price is up to $960 now.

Has anyone got one, if so how do you feel about this rifle? I want one for target shooting and a stand by weapon just in case. How will it handle steel cased ammo? soft point ammo? HP ammo? Any thoughts about this rifle?​

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
IF it's built right.. it'll eat any ammo you throw into it.

However "you better shop around" comes to mind. If you're on a budget, there are several places that have less expensive options in stock.

Centurion 39 Milled AK 47 Rifle

Even found you a better price on the Centurion.

Personally I would stay away from Century products. I've owned enough of the things in the past to have learned my lesson.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Not worth $1k. Probably worth slightly less then half. American made rifle....GREAT!! :rolleyes: Nothing says quality like Century and some random autsourced company that has been putting AKs together for a few years...maybe. Clearly all thouse other countries that have been making AKs for 50 years or more havent gotten right...yet.

Sorry dude, dont mean to sound like an ass but you gotta look at what youre buying first. How long have American mfg been making AKs? (not to be confused with putting together one from a foreign parts kit). Century can sometimes MAKE (not to be confused with IMPORT) an ok rifle but I wouldnt want to be the beta tester on that perticular rifle.

I dont own that specific rifle but I know Century's reputation.

Check out the for sale ads here. Often a lot of good stuff comes up at very good price.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/34...164496-1985-polish-akms-uf-inrange-built.html

At least this is in the correct price range

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Doesn't it have a non chrome lined barrel? I don't know I never have seen myself paying that much for one. It just does nothin for me. It reminded me of the GP 75's that were marked up for having dimples. Shit you look you will find a better rifle in a WASR 10/63. Or for $100 more I am seing converted saiga's lately.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
What they said. First of all prices are slowly coming down some, shop around and keep looking. The way I look at it, Americans know AR platform weapons, Europeans know AK platform, I honestly would never buy an American made one, I want military grade parts in my AK's. Not to mention Century has a spotty history on some of their things. I've owned two CAI AK's in the past, a WASR 10/63GP and a Tantal. Sold them both and replaced the WASR with a demilled Polish and a Tantal with a original barrel.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Plenty of Chinese, saiga, MAADI, FEG AMD. I mean for $1k, I can make sonthing happen a hell if a lot nicer than that "thing."

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Look at the imports first before buying an American built AK.
I would first look at Arsenals, Saigas and PAPs.

·
Registered
551 Posts
FWIW, J&G will sell you a Century RPK for $830. The Centurions have always been pricey (IMHO), but there's bound to be a better price on one than $1K out there.

·
Premium Member
13,070 Posts
IF it's built right.. it'll eat any ammo you throw into it.

However "you better shop around" comes to mind. If you're on a budget, there are several places that have less expensive options in stock.

Centurion 39 Milled AK 47 Rifle

Even found you a better price on the Centurion.

Personally I would stay away from Century products. I've owned enough of the things in the past to have learned my lesson.

A grand will buy a lot of AK! Be patient and keep looking..Search every description you can think of--cheap ak--$1000.00 ak-try them all. You will find what you want!

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Just Stopped at my LGS. They got a used trade in. A kick ass Arsenal AK106 in 223 for $899. Very nice clean rifle with a unusual but cool handguard with small rails

·
Registered
404 Posts
Two years ago they sold for 329 new and had 3 different receiver brands in use, some came with scope rail, some had keyhole problems. I don't think its worth 1000.

My bad thought was about century 74 sporter, disregard.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'll chime in. 6 months ago I was in your position, wanted a 7.62x39 AK variant. I didn't want to spend much on it and as a result went the cheap route. I bought a Century Arm PAP M-70 Gen 1. Great fit and finish. However, couldn't reliably feed a magazine. More FTF's than I could count. All a result of the crappy single stack bolt and feed ramp. $200 from a gunsmith later, yeah it works. But I lost confidence in it.

I bought an Arsenal SAM7R recently and let me say, the extra $400 it costs was WELL WORTH it. Has fed all 600 rounds I've put through it so far. No gunsmithing required, came with the right double stack bolt, machined feed ramp and fit and finish is excellent.

You can go the less expensive route and "hope" it works. Or spend a little more now and not look back. I'm not saying all Century Arms AK variants are crap, but it is hit and miss. Plenty of horror stories on the forums about the problems I mentioned.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I recently picked a C-39 or Centurion 39, up from Atlantic Firearms and trust me it would be worth $1,000.00 IMO. I took it right out of the box and loaded it up and shot @ 100 yds. This rifle not only hit paper @ that distance but it grouped pretty well also. I was just using some surplus ammo and it did a great job.The Tapco trigger is really smooth. Now when I'm back home I'm anxious to see what it does at 200+ yds etc with better ammo. I own several AK variants but this is my first milled receiver rifle and it feels and looks great. I'm thinking about grabbing up another while Atlantic still has them in stock. Did I mention this is MADE IN AMERICA? I didn't but IT IS! Made by Americans and as far as I know the only 100% AMERICAN made AK rifle. As I said before if this rifle was $1000.00 and knowing what I know now..I'd still buy one. BUT..it isn't $1000.00...it's under $700.00! The clean lines and craftsmanship is impeccable. I got the darker brown wood version which I liked best. So if you've always wanted to get into a milled receiver AK then this is one you should check out. I know I know...so much has been written about Century but I own 3 other AK's no not a WASR but others...and all including this rifle has never had ANY issues whatsoever. No canted sights or any other problems. Atlantic at least does a quick check of their rifles before sending them out. Sure they aren't going to catch every problem but this C39 is perfect. When shooting it you know you have something substantial in your hands. Nice solid rifle. Just thought I'd put in my two cents worth regarding this rifle. Oh, and it's got the American flag on the side of it which I feel is pretty cool. new6.JPG new3.JPG DSCN2183.JPG DSCN2186.JPG
Check them out here ----> http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ri2169c-n-detail.html?Itemid=0

·
Registered
96 Posts
A milled receiver AK for under $700.00 is a great deal I think. It is my money and I'd buy another one. 22 have you shot one of these rifles yet? You might be surprised how nice it shoots.

·
Super Moderator
13,774 Posts
I prefer to build my rifles. I can currently build a euro military surplus milled rifle that shoots great for a little over $400.

Being more of a collector/shooter I don't really have a need for a US made AK.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts