AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about making a Tabuk/Dragunov themed long barreled AK out of an AES-10B, something to replace my Norinco SKS I just sold to a friend.

Since the AES-10B has a thick barrel and reinforced reciever, how much does that help accuracy? With a scope? Is the accuracy gain worth the weight?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Compnsatyr said:
I was thinking about making a Tabuk/Dragunov themed long barreled AK out of an AES-10B, something to replace my Norinco SKS I just sold to a friend.

Since the AES-10B has a thick barrel and reinforced reciever, how much does that help accuracy? With a scope? Is the accuracy gain worth the weight?
In my opinion i think it is!

Drakin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
The velocity gain is a big plus if you ever have to shoot any varmints hiding behind car doors etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,054 Posts
I would leave it "as is". The AES10 B is the best deal on the market. You are not going to accomplish anything by screwing with it...

The RPK is a weapon designed for longer periods of sustained fire at longer ranges...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
While the RPK is more accurate than the average AK, it is NOT and never will be a candidate to be a 'sniper rifle'. Wasn't designed for it. It was designed as a squad auto and never was intended to be a designated marksman weapon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Asking for sub 3" groups is hardly asking for a "sniper rifle". However, that's not too far from a designated marksman rifle, and it's the only way I know of to get an 18"-20" barrel on an AK without going with a new custom barrel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,477 Posts
Hate to break it to you but a 'sniper' rifle is suppose to give sub one inch groups at 300 yards (not 100 yards) and a DMR is suppose to give sub three inches at 300 also. Anything less than that is just a plain old battle rifle. I will agree it is a picky point but some of us that have been snipers are anal retentive that way.

If you are just looking for a sub 3 inch at 100 yards gun, 'most' heavy barrel AKs/RPKs will do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, well I thought a PSL was a DMR and they are not 1MOA from what I hear.

Other than the AES-10B, I've never heard of any commercially available AK's with advertised heavy barrels. I'm just going to get a saiga instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
My AES-10B will do 3 inches at 100yds.

AK's can't normally do that, but these RPK's normally can. Same ammo.

Recoil is lower at the same time. They are fun rifles to shoot!

I'm going to scope mine eventually. I can't find a good deal on a 4X PSOP type so I might end up buying a mount that mounts to the factory side rail and gives you a piccatinny over the top. Then I can get one inch rings and mount whatever scope I want. Probobly just a 4X32.

I removed the bi-pod and carry handle to drop the weight. The bipod weighed a pound and half! Once that was off the end of the barrel the rifle became much handier!

In this configuration the rifle weights about 9 and half pounds. Lighter than a Springfield M1A and they can be handled without a bi-pod just fine.

They are not a sniper rifle, but more accurate than typical AK"s and they are inexpensive.

aksrbest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
If I was going to want a scoped 7.62x39 AK type firearm, it would definitely be my AES-10B. It has a longer barrel, heavier barrel, a built in scope rail, and a bipod. I own 3 AKs and 1 SKS. My AES-10B shoots tighter and is easier to shoot accurately than my AKs and SKS.

I'm actually going to probably get a little 4x PSO or some such scope for it in the future.

The AES-10B is no "sniper rifle," but mine is noticeably more accurate than my AKs and SKS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Shrike37 said:
If I was going to want a scoped 7.62x39 AK type firearm, it would definitely be my AES-10B. It has a longer barrel, heavier barrel, a built in scope rail, and a bipod. I own 3 AKs and 1 SKS. My AES-10B shoots tighter and is easier to shoot accurately than my AKs and SKS.

I'm actually going to probably get a little 4x PSO or some such scope for it in the future.

The AES-10B is no "sniper rifle," but mine is noticeably more accurate than my AKs and SKS.
I'm going to scope mine too.

At first I was thinking of a PSO type scope but now I"m thinking of getting a mount with a picatinny rail so I can use any scope I want. Like the 4X32 I already have for example.

I've seen a mount that goes on the side rail and puts a picatinny rail over top of the dust cover. It was about $40.

aksrbest
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
My yugo m72 rpk can easily hit sub 3in groups at 100 yards with iron sights, and fist sized groups at 200, using brown bear ammo. shooting prone.

Its hard to find a normal ak that can even come close to that. I agree its not a sniper rifle, but i would consider that very accurate for its design vs. weight.

Drakin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I like to hear! I too intended to scope it and drop the bipod and carry handle.

If you are going to scope an AK and shoot for accuracy, you should choose one with a good foundation. The AES-10B has a thick barrel and a reinforced reciever. Not a bad start!

I'd like to see an accuracy comparison between the AES-10B and a 20" saiga, using the same ammo and optics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
695 Posts
Compnsatyr said:
That's what I like to hear! I too intended to scope it and drop the bipod and carry handle.

If you are going to scope an AK and shoot for accuracy, you should choose one with a good foundation. The AES-10B has a thick barrel and a reinforced reciever. Not a bad start!

I'd like to see an accuracy comparison between the AES-10B and a 20" saiga, using the same ammo and optics.
Dont forget the yugo m72 rpk, which actually has a thicker barrel than the romanian version. My freind has a romanian and my yugo can out shoot his any day of the week ;) or he could just be a bad shot.

Drakin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
My Yugo M72 will shoot sub 3" groups at 100yds with Wolf "military classic", with iron sights... I have a hard time due to aging vision and have planned to install a scope. A guy at work has an Izmash manufactured quick release scope mount for me...50 bucks. From what I have figured out I'll probably need one of those long-assed Belarus scopes to give me the eye relief I need. When I got the RPK and fired it the first time I was amazed at the lack of recoil and the "lazy" bolt action, I like it very much. I installed one of those bolt carrier recoil pads and was impressed at the way it sped up the bolt action, allowing very quick three shot taps that hit man-sized targets at 50yds nicely. I have heard from some folks the buffers can damage the mechanism because of the forward slamming but a few mechanics tell me to forget about it. If I experience any undo wear or malfuction I'll simply remove it.
Mounting a scope on this rugged, man-gun, doesn't fit its image IMO, but then again its good to be able to hit what your shootin at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Fearless 51 said:
Mounting a scope on this rugged, man-gun, doesn't fit its image IMO, but then again its good to be able to hit what your shootin at.
That's what the 75rd drum is for. Just walk your shots right up to your target.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
i realy like mine.i dont think its akward or the wieght is a hinderance. its not that heavy. i recently purchased one and am very pleased with the rifle.and the quality of the one i purchased. built like a tank.nothing bent or canted. mags do not wobble. cycles without a flaw. to me thats what a ak is suppose to be like...i.e. reliable and indestructable.
i dont think a ak is a good sniper rifle per say as long range sniping goes.with a longer barrel or not. but a designated marksman rifle it could be.kaz
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top