AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard today that one can bring back pre 1899 firearms from A-stan!?!?!? :confused:

I thought it was a big nono. Arnt even mags fround upon?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I heard they let them, then said no, then started it back again. Most of the stuff I've seen has been pure garbage. Early on they were scrubbing the dates off of Enfields, Mosin Nagants, etc and restamping 1898 on them.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
I've seen few old Martinis, recently brought back with paperwork on GB, so it must be true.

·
Registered
440 Posts
When I was there in 2004, you could bring back antique guns (1898 and prior).
I never did. It was set up to be a major hassle unless you were a REMF. You couldn't ship guns from the post office on our camp, but you had to take them to Bagram about thirty miles away.
Being a lowly enlisted Infantry schmuck, you couldn't just go to Bagram when you felt like it. I didn't really care too much, as the sellers all knew Joe would pay stupid money for junky old single shot antiques, many of which were fakes.

We were allowed, intermittently, to ship bayonets through our post office. I think they just waited til enough O's had bayonets to ship, then permitted it for a couple weeks at a time. Managed to get several AK bayonets and British Enfield bayonets home.

What didn't get home was the live 23 mm Soviet AA round that I appropriated from the compound we were guarding. Got a nasty gram from the postal slobs in Bahrain telling me such things were frowned upon. SOB's.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I brought home a nice Martini-Henry for my brother. I saw some really cool stuff get shipped home. A friend of mine is an expert on the Martini's and other era rifles. He worked at the bazaar and would help figure out what parts were Khyber or off the wrong rifle and help you put them right before buying. He probably shipped home thirty Martini's and who know how many other rifles

·
Super Moderator
26,315 Posts
I brought 15 AK mags home from Iraq, including a Romanian drum. It just depended on what rotation you were.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
In 2009 I brought back a nice Martini Henry.
I shipped back quite a few Russian AK bayonets, until they stopped allowing them.
I was able to get back some Russian AK magazines that came out of amnesty boxes. Funny thing was, I only wanted Russians, but Customs said if I took the Russians, I also had to take every AK magazines they had in storage. The horror...

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I brought 15 AK mags home from Iraq, including a Romanian drum. It just depended on what rotation you were.
anything note worthy? amazes me the stuff that seems to turn up where you'd least expect it

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In 2009 I brought back a nice Martini Henry.
I shipped back quite a few Russian AK bayonets, until they stopped allowing them.
I was able to get back some Russian AK magazines that came out of amnesty boxes. Funny thing was, I only wanted Russians, but Customs said if I took the Russians, I also had to take every AK magazines they had in storage. The horror...
So......how many was that!?!?!

Im only asking about the import cause there's a guy on another forum whos stationed at the AFB in Afghanistan and is offering pre 99 Martini Henrys and Mosins. I was thinking it would be cool to have a pre 99 MN from Afghanistan but I dont want problems with the alphabet boys

·
Super Moderator
26,315 Posts
anything note worthy? amazes me the stuff that seems to turn up where you'd least expect it
The ones I brought back were:
East German
ChiCom
Romanian
And 1 lone Izzy marked Russian.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
So......how many was that!?!?!

Im only asking about the import cause there's a guy on another forum whos stationed at the AFB in Afghanistan and is offering pre 99 Martini Henrys and Mosins. I was thinking it would be cool to have a pre 99 MN from Afghanistan but I dont want problems with the alphabet boys
Only one MH, just to go with my Russian display. Pretty cool with lots of inlays.
As for pre-89 stuff, beware. My "go to" guy could get almost anything. He is the one who found my DShK tripod I brought home. I told him I wanted a pre-99 Mosin. He finally came in with one that had a stock decorated with stickers, looked fantastic. Then I saw it was a 1932 dated receiver. He said no problem, next week it would be a 1898 receiver.
The Afghans/Pakis are really, really good now at faking stuff. They regularly check our collectors forums to see what he are finding to identify a fake. The next week, those mistakes will be fixed.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
No ATF worries on these. They go through JAG and customs to get the rifles home. As long as they don't use a "modern" caliber and are before the proper date they're good to go. No legal worries for you getting one from the guy in Afghanistan.

Just be aware they sell anything from completely fake rifles, legit rifles with wrong or homemade parts to legit historically correct rifles. Don't listen to the internet crap with "experts" saying every rifle brought back is a Khyber made rifle.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Only one MH, just to go with my Russian display. Pretty cool with lots of inlays.
As for pre-89 stuff, beware. My "go to" guy could get almost anything. He is the one who found my DShK tripod I brought home. I told him I wanted a pre-99 Mosin. He finally came in with one that had a stock decorated with stickers, looked fantastic. Then I saw it was a 1932 dated receiver. He said no problem, next week it would be a 1898 receiver.
The Afghans/Pakis are really, really good now at faking stuff. They regularly check our collectors forums to see what he are finding to identify a fake. The next week, those mistakes will be fixed.
Some solid info there, I knew from pictures they cared about the stuff being accurate but I had no freakin clue the went as far as checking the boards

1 - 14 of 14 Posts