AK Rifles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a WASR AK and it doesn't have the well in the buttstock to store the cleaning kit. Is it possible to buy the buttplate with door and drill a hole into the stock for the cleaning kit?

I don't know if the contours of the stock would match the buttplate but I would imagine anything can be made to fit if you are willing to putz with it. Where would I find the diameter/depth/shape needed for the cleaning kit? II assume its not just a round hole as the door needs to open inward. (I've never seen one - sorry) Is it easier to just buy new furniture? I'd kind of like to modify my own stock, but I don't want to destroy it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,315 Posts
I don't know if that's possible or not, but it would be whole lot easier to buy another AK stock that already has the proper hardware, then swap it out.

Reactions: Delacroix

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
JoeMomma is right. It is easier and just as cheap to buy another stock. Butt plates and trapdoors are pretty much available, the large spring that goes in the hole, on the other hand, is not so readily available. Typically, butt plate with trapdoor is $10 - $20 and (if you can find one) the big spring is another $5 to $10. With Romanian stocks going for about $20 each (sometimes less) and the difficulty in drilling the stock at the right angle in the correct spot, buying a complete stock is your best option. IMNSHO.

MDI

I don't know if that's possible or not, but it would be whole lot easier to buy another AK stock that already has the proper hardware, then swap it out.

·
Super Moderator
10,328 Posts
Another vote for getting a stock already fitted for the cleaning kit.

It looks simple enough but there is some skill and engineering that went into designing the cavity for the cleaning kit to properly allow it to be removed and reinstalled with ease under spring pressure. Trying to freehand that work at home is pretty risky with a low probability of success.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JoeMomma is right. It is easier and just as cheap to buy another stock. Butt plates and trapdoors are pretty much available, the large spring that goes in the hole, on the other hand, is not so readily available. Typically, butt plate with trapdoor is $10 - $20 and (if you can find one) the big spring is another $5 to $10. With Romanian stocks going for about $20 each (sometimes less) and the difficulty in drilling the stock at the right angle in the correct spot, buying a complete stock is your best option. IMNSHO.

MDI
I haven't found a website that was anywhere near that low of a price. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks to all that answered.

·
Super Moderator
26,315 Posts
APEX lists Romanian laminate stocks with hardware for $15.00
This would work, just remember that you may need to fit the stock slightly before you install it.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Actually Apex is up to $20 or $25 on their Romanian stocks depending on which one, by what I just checked on their site.

I just finished set up at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show and I have a non-G Romanian stock that I will sell for $25.00 shipped. Or if your in Dallas area you can come by the show and pick it up for $20.00

MDI

APEX lists Romanian laminate stocks with hardware for $15.00

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually Apex is up to $20 or $25 on their Romanian stocks depending on which one, by what I just checked on their site.

I just finished set up at the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show and I have a non-G Romanian stock that I will sell for $25.00 shipped. Or if your in Dallas area you can come by the show and pick it up for $20.00

MDI
Can you send me pics please?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Stupid question I guess... Can you explain G and Non G please? Trying to learn about AKs...
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/28-romanian/75876-big-guide-romanian-ak-variants-accessories.html

From the excellent above linked post:
"G" - the rifle of the Romanian Civil Patriotic Guard, or "Garda" Which is Romanian for guard. The guard is basically the Romanian version of our Army National guard in the United States and was mandatory for young men and women. It was staffed by about 700,000 citizens. In order to issue the rifles to the guard troops, they were modified to make them semi automatic by cutting the tail off of the disconnector and removing the auto sear. The back end of the buttstock had a black stripe painted vertically along the edge and the rear sight block got a large orange letter "G" stamped on the left side to signify that it was a semi automatic guard rifle:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/28-romanian/75876-big-guide-romanian-ak-variants-accessories.html

From the excellent above linked post:
"G" - the rifle of the Romanian Civil Patriotic Guard, or "Garda" Which is Romanian for guard. The guard is basically the Romanian version of our Army National guard in the United States and was mandatory for young men and women. It was staffed by about 700,000 citizens. In order to issue the rifles to the guard troops, they were modified to make them semi automatic by cutting the tail off of the disconnector and removing the auto sear. The back end of the buttstock had a black stripe painted vertically along the edge and the rear sight block got a large orange letter "G" stamped on the left side to signify that it was a semi automatic guard rifle:

Awesome! Thanks for the education and the link! I appreciate the answer,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts