AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot has been posted about mushrooming of the tail end of the bolt carrier on Yugos with Tapco triggers. Mine isn't too bad, but I'm looking for an easy change that doesn't involve reprofiling the Tapco hammer or buying a whole new trigger group. I also put in an ALG spring, but it caused a few jams, so my O-PAP has the original spring back in.

Is it possible to just replace the Tapco hammer with another AK hammer, such as this Radom hammer?: https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AK-HAMMER-NEW-FULL-AUTO-p2886.htm

This change will not put me out of 922(r) compliance (I've changed out a few of the foreign components to domestic ones). Also, I assume there are no compliance issues with putting in a "full auto" hammer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
what us components do you have on the rifle? no all count towards 922r.

also mix-matching FCG parts could alter how trigger feels/breaks. in some extreme cases might not engage correctly if control surfaces/angles are different enough. you probably won't have an issue but something to be aware of.

·
Technical Advisor
15,517 Posts
If you are experiencing any carrier safety tail peening it is easier and better IMHO to mod the hammer face.
If you Google there are videos on You Tube etc.
Only needed if peening is evident and extreme.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
My YUGO M70 has a TAPCO hammer and I have had no mushrooming issues.
The axis pin hole size may be different My original Yugo trigger group has the small diameter size TAPCO is large.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the feedback. Looks like the easiest solution is to round off the two sharp edges to the Tapco hammer (obviously not being too aggressive). In addition to the peening, my bolt does not move easily over the hammer (due to one of the sharp edges on the hammer). Thanks AKBLUE for the suggestion to noodle around for videos--rounding off the edges on the hammer doesn't look difficult at all--just need to pay careful attention to filing it off evenly, slowly, and conservatively.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts