AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://ak-builder.com/images/thumbnails/1/120/thumbnail_lower_die_assembled.jpg thumbnail_lower_die_assembled.jpg

I have an older Tapco flat that the rails are not already bent, my friend has the Ak builder jig and looks like it will bend it but what about the top rails ????, the AKB website shows this pic of a flat where the rails are not pre-bent.

I remember years ago at a build party there was some sort of jig that allowed you to fold the flat and then turn it sideways in the jig and fold the top rail sections over, I thought it was AK builder, has the jig changed in the last 4-5 years ??

any idea on how I can bend the top rail on this flat ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes the AK builder jig has changed. the newer improved version was made for all the pre bent top rail flats that hit the market a couple of years ago. If you have an older flat you will need to use the older jig to get you top rails. The nice thing about the older jig is you can still fold flats with the pre bent top rails. I have the older jig and have bent the newer flats.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the AK builder jig has changed. the newer improved version was made for all the pre bent top rail flats that hit the market a couple of years ago. If you have an older flat you will need to use the older jig to get you top rails. The nice thing about the older jig is you can still fold flats with the pre bent top rails. I have the older jig and have bent the newer flats.
thanks I should have never gotten rid of my 555th jig I had years ago, at least I could hammer the rails over like we had to many moons ago

kids these days have it so easy....geesh :cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
The original AK Builder jigs were made for Tapco flats without bent top rails. After you bend the flat, keep it in the jig and bend over the top rails with a hammer. It's crude but it works. I built many guns that way. I don't know if the current bending jigs are able to accommodate hammering the top rails. Unless they've made changes in the past several years, Tapco flats have some dimensional problems. I would spend the money and buy an AK Builder flat. They're much better than Tapco.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The original AK Builder jigs were made for Tapco flats without bent top rails. After you bend the flat, keep it in the jig and bend over the top rails with a hammer. It's crude but it works. I built many guns that way. I don't know if the current bending jigs are able to accommodate hammering the top rails. Unless they've made changes in the past several years, Tapco flats have some dimensional problems. I would spend the money and buy an AK Builder flat. They're much better than Tapco.

yeah, the new AK builder jig is like an I beam ( see pic in 1st post ) and a top plate that you flip over in the press and it will pinch only the center 1.5 inches or so of the flat and it folds it, there is no provision for the top rails.....I think the older model you could turn the flat on its side and it would snap or crisp the top rail over

I found a thread somewhere , where a guy used 2 pieces of key stock and then pinched about 1/8 inch near where the top rail would be and then just hammered it over

I've had this laying around and just trying to find a way to bend it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts