AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repost but... Is it just me, or has the activity on this forum gone through the floor?

Even before the format change seems like the same old threads would linger for days now they linger for weeks.

Have we covered it all? Wrote all we needed to write? Asked all the questions? Given out all the info?

This used to be my favorite place to go on the 'net. Is everybody else at a new forum? Tell me where the party went?

Dang it! It's almost gift exchange time too!

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Many people are still burned out from the past year of horrible prices ... and combine that with the fact the barrel ban killed AK building to the point kits are finally drying up.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
I think part of it is because many people have cut back on purchases due to prices. Not only the crazy cost of ammo, but when a WASR-10 is around $600, and MAK-90s $700 and up, people stay away. The golden days of imported AKs are right now behind us thanks to ATF and others in the government using import restrictions and bans as a way to infringe on our rights.

I am not saying the current generation of US made AK variants are bad, far from it, it is just that the prices are making people think twice about purchasing an AK or two or three.

Also due to ammo prices, range trips are down, so nothing there to brag about or just share either. Me personally have not fired any of my toys in nearly 6 months due to ammo costs. I just about died when .22LR went from $7 straight to $15 a brick of 500. Then suddenly the affordable ammo (.22LR) is considered a bargain at $25!!! 7.62x39 considered a good buy at $250 a case when I used to get it for 1/4 that. Granted those days will probably never come back, but my income hasn't kept up with the cost of ammo, and I am sure others aren't shooting as much for the same reasons.

This still is a great site for information, especially about the newer AK variants. Am hoping traffic will pick up, but looking at other sites we are not the only ones that are slow.

Always the optimist, I am hoping that in the not too distant future things change for the better. And being a realist, these next 3 years will not be easy on those of us who value the second amendment as it was written, with no "reasonable restrictions" implied or stated.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Screw reasonable restriction's. "Shall not be infringed". How hard of a concept is that for some people to grasp? If you find gun's icky don't buy one. But nobody has the right to deny me my 2A right's.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I check the place out every day but I dont have much to talk about. Havent had any money for gun projects or anything for a long while. Hope to change that in the near future but even if I up with the cash I doubt I'll have the time.

Reactions: Nu2AKSKS

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sorry if this is a repost but... Is it just me, or has the activity on this forum gone through the floor?

Even before the format change seems like the same old threads would linger for days now they linger for weeks.

Have we covered it all? Wrote all we needed to write? Asked all the questions? Given out all the info?

This used to be my favorite place to go on the 'net. Is everybody else at a new forum? Tell me where the party went?

Dang it! It's almost gift exchange time too!
I'v been thinking thinking this for months now. The bulgarian forum used to be one of the most popular, and now only a few threads down and your into post over a month old. I think a lot the questions we had in the early days of the forum have been answered. A lot of small details about production years of this part vs that part is now more readily available. So there is less of a "quest" now for knowledge, which is what got more than half the fun sometimes of doing a build.

Stuff that was almost mythical in 06 is now imported in mass quantities (saiga 12 exp 01-30 for example).

Also, a big thing I think, is that a lot of the core members are gone now or less active. Templar isn't around, AK_Nut is gone, Q gunner passed away, some of the guys from overseas (shifty, that guy from the Netherlands, etc...) are gone, Zane_Zackerly was always starting up discussions and posting pictures, and he hasn't been on in a year and a half.

Then you have the whole barrel ban, kits drying up thing. So its a combination of things, I do miss the old days though....

·
Registered
367 Posts
It's a weird time in the AK world. Surplus is gone and there is not much excitement or expectation. There used to be a large group due to the overall cheapness of everything, but that has now been supplanted by the over-saturated AR market. People have a hard time spending more for an AK.

There is also a changing demographic that now favors a tacticool (I hate that term) AK with as many AR parts as possible. That group views us and this site as esoteric old duds.

I'm personally about burned out with gun forums in general. Everything has changed since 2001 when I first started reading/posting.

·
Technical Advisor
15,530 Posts
Things have gone quiet. Dunno why. I guess like others have stated., just less to talk about. This has always seemed a more a collector and information compiling site vs builder site and maybe the collecting part is saturated or not much to gab over. Lots of crickets in some of the sun forums. Best information source on the www though.:)

·
Premium Member
13,077 Posts
This is the reason behind all of our problems-

Once the wound finally starts to scab, Saturday returns to rip it off afresh...:twisted:
Mr. "Lock Friday Funnies Thread" himself...the notorious Rotdorn the Destroyer aka ...the prince of puns,the baron of buffoonery, the king of comedy, the wizard of whoopie!

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Money also plays a big part I think. I've tried many different AK variants. They were cheap(er) at their peak in 2000-2005. If I would have got into AK's a year or two ago I'd probably only of had the chance to buy one or two. The best and most exciting time for AK's in the last two decades was 04-05, after the AWB expired and before the barrel ban. There were plenty of options for cheap factory AK's and building a non-neutered parts kit was simple. I bought a SLR-105A1R for $460ish new...and ammo was dirt cheap for it. Even 7.62x39 was still cheap. Firearms aren't as fun if you don't shoot them (or can't afford to)....and many of us bought cheap, stacked deep, and then shot a lot. I went through my pre-panic priced stash in a few years...and by 2011 didn't have any left. Since then...shooting has taken a back seat to other hobbies with more readily available resources. Just the way it is.....its difficult for younger AK fans to get into the game now when you can buy a decent AR for the same price as a decent AK.

ETA: I'll just add that the barrel ban is working as its creators intended...and ultimately it's more effective than the MG ban in 86. At least receiver's aren't high wear items...so most MG's on the market will remain there for years to come. Barrels on the other hand are consumable parts with a very finite life span. Quality barrels will become more and more difficult to find over time. Sooner or later someone in the US will have to step up and market a high quality barrel...but the price won't be pretty....

CMS

·
Technical Advisor
15,530 Posts
I agree about the barrel ban. But not sure that barrel longevity or wearing out is the issue. Though the jury is still out on long term durability of US barrels., I have not heard lots of failure reports on them.
Seems to me it is more about the extra time, tooling and skill to assemble a rifle with a virgin or semi-virgin barrel coupled with the high kit prices. It makes building much less attractive as home hobby and more pricey for a send out to a FFL builder etc..

·
Registered
483 Posts
There was a huge influx of AK craze. Lots of people from other platforms got in to them really fast all at once it seemed '04-'12. Personally, I acquired about all I'd ever want, burned out, and sold off. Still love them, but once you have all that you wanted to collect, it gets pretty boring. Most all there was to learn got covered and most all of the collector grade kits are in the hands of the collectors now so there's just not that much more going on.

I also had to accept that I'll never likely own a "real" example of my favorite models, only carefully built semi-auto clones with many original parts. Even most post samples are "builds." An AK isn't an AK without the safety sear to me. And even when there's no mechanical difference when the same parts are riveted in to a different receiver, something in that process sort of kills it for me (even though I LOVE building so much!).

I have noticed that it seems with every major format change, we lose activity here.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
There was a huge influx of AK craze. Lots of people from other platforms got in to them really fast all at once it seemed '04-'12. Personally, I acquired about all I'd ever want, burned out, and sold off. Still love them, but once you have all that you wanted to collect, it gets pretty boring. Most all there was to learn got covered and most all of the collector grade kits are in the hands of the collectors now so there's just not that much more going on.

I also had to accept that I'll never likely own a "real" example of my favorite models, only carefully built semi-auto clones with many original parts. Even most post samples are "builds." An AK isn't an AK without the safety sear to me. And even when there's no mechanical difference when the same parts are riveted in to a different receiver, something in that process sort of kills it for me (even though I LOVE building so much!).

I have noticed that it seems with every major format change, we lose activity here.
An FFL 07/SOT isn't too terribly expensive, but obviously you can't get licensed just for personal use. Having a machine shop and a place to do business is pretty much a must...and you actually have to run a business...not make machineguns to take out and shoot with your buddies. I'm fortunate enough to know and help out (when I can) an SOT in the area with a few FA AK's and AR's. They're fun to play with but like everything else, the novelty wears off after a while.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts