AK Rifles banner

Is it finally time for a .308?

2K views 28 replies 21 participants last post by  regal 
#1 ·
Seems like as of lately there has been a real influx of affordable .308 ammo on the market. For one reason or another, I still don't have a .308 rifle. I was planning on getting a CMP garand this summer, but maybe I should go for a .308 while the getting is still good. Is there any sign that the price of .308 is going to get any lower?

On the other hand, maybe a saiga 12 should be my next priority, but who knows.

What do y'all think?

#2 ·
i would like to get a saiga 12, but everytime i save for one, something else needs a new home. like four nagant revolvers begged me to give them a new home. i got one Israeli k-98 in 308 a french mas in the same caliber and haven't fired them in years. go with the shotgun.
that's my two cents.

#3 ·
i have recently gotten a little 308 happy, bought the Springfield sar 8 overstamp, picked up a polytech m14 few weeks ago, and looking for a FAL now,

For the same price as 223, they are a hell of a lot funner to shoot

#9 ·
Well, this an AK forum, so I would suggest a .308 Saiga. Built at a real Russian AK factory & a great gun. I have one & I love it. Check out SAIGA12.COM. It's easy to make it look like an AK, or it's not expensive to have a pro do it. It has to look like a hunting rifle to be importable, but all that crap comes off, & underneath it's still a true AK. GARY N4KVE

#10 ·
I have a BM-59, which I hate and really need to get rid of, and I just bought an LR308 (DPMS AR10) and love it. I added a Super Sniper scope, Burris Fast Fire, and plan on swapping out the ACE stock. 16" barrel. Weighs in at 11.5 pounds unloaded though, so it ain't light, but it's fun and was $800.

#12 ·
Wakko said:
I have a BM-59, which I hate and really need to get rid of, and I just bought an LR308 (DPMS AR10) and love it. I added a Super Sniper scope, Burris Fast Fire, and plan on swapping out the ACE stock. 16" barrel. Weighs in at 11.5 pounds unloaded though, so it ain't light, but it's fun and was $800.
How much? Take M14 Mags? Baretta built? Info man.. INFO!!!!!

#13 ·
For me it is. I accidentaly won an auction for a Saiga .308. placed a low bid not expecting to win- and did anyway. 308 is a nice round, but I really prefer to have compensator/brake on these.

#14 ·
ive been thinking of getting a saiga 308 and putting it on my mill and seeing if i can get it to take a little more easy to find and cost effective mag with all the fal, g3, m14 and all of the other 30 cal mags i have im sure i can find somethin plus it would just be cool i think, so i say go for 308 its just a lot more fun

#16 ·
Wakko said:
How much you selling that BM-59 for?

#18 ·
Argh! :evil:

Last Oct I got into the .308 when I purchased a M14 (M1A) from Exotic T***. It functions so nice but I have not had any luck with sighting in with the scope. Too many OT issues to share here...

... anyway, thanks for the heads up that I paid an extra $130 for 1K rds last October. :doh:

#19 ·
The only 308 I have or have shot since I qual'd with an M14 in the Navy decades ago with an M14 is my PTR91. I gotta say this G3 clone is a peach. The sights work really well with my old eyes. The trigger is heavy but crisp. Easy to work with. An excellent service rifle trigger. Once you learns the in's and out's of it it is easy to strip and clean. No tools needed. Recoil is like my Garand. Nice low fequency thump. Easy to work with. Accurate. Nothing bad I can really say about it.

I'd love to get another and have drooled over the one mahineguneddie is selling. But I'd have to part with some other stuff first.

#20 ·
I did some shopping yesterday at work and took the time to fondle the PTR91, SOCOM16, and DPMS LR-TAC20 rifles. Out of the three, the shortened M14 was my favorite. I thought I'd like the G3 type best, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. The AR10 was just too damn heavy. I think that the saiga 308 is the one for me, but I've never actually handled one yet. Who's got them for sale online?

#21 ·
Bread is People said:
I did some shopping yesterday at work and took the time to fondle the PTR91, SOCOM16, and DPMS LR-TAC20 rifles. Out of the three, the shortened M14 was my favorite. I thought I'd like the G3 type best, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. The AR10 was just too damn heavy. I think that the saiga 308 is the one for me, but I've never actually handled one yet. Who's got them for sale online?
I embraced the .308 about 12 years ago when I purchased a Springfield Scout. I tried the AR-10
and I've fondled the G3 type and Saiga, but the M14 type meets my wants and needs best.
I now have an assortment of M14s with 18.0" and 22.0" barrels. Have you tried the Bush/Scout yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.