AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an S&W revolver fan. Dry-firing an S&W revolver is fine...as long as it's not a rimfire.

In fact, it's recommended.

1000's of "rounds" of dry-fire practice smooths out the action on S&W revolvers...kind of like a free "trigger job".

What's the general concensus regarding dry-firing an AK clone?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Unless you keep count of rounds fired from a magazine, you're going to dry fire it every time you need to change mags at the range anyway, since the AK doesn't have a bold hold-open.

Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Well actually you can drop the hammer without doing a completely dry fire. What I do is pull back the charging handle, pull the trigger and ease the bolt carrier forward, at some point the hammer will release and you can take the carrier forward and the hammer will follow, but without needlessly hitting the firing pin like you would every time you dry fire. It sounds complicated but once you do it a couple of times it's just like second nature. The concept is exactly like riding the hammer forward like you might on a revolver or 1911 to release the hammer pressure.

Obviously this wouldn't work on an AK with an auto sear since this is exactly what that part is designed to prevent from happening. :goof:

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
Exothermia said:
Well actually you can drop the hammer without doing a completely dry fire. What I do is pull back the charging handle, pull the trigger and ease the bolt carrier forward, at some point the hammer will release and you can take the carrier forward and the hammer will follow, but without needlessly hitting the firing pin like you would every time you dry fire. It sounds complicated but once you do it a couple of times it's just like second nature. The concept is exactly like riding the hammer forward like you might on a revolver or 1911 to release the hammer pressure.

Obviously this wouldn't work on an AK with an auto sear since this is exactly what that part is designed to prevent from happening. :goof:
The disconnector will keep it from happening on any firearm.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm not describing it well it enough. What I am telling you to do is dry fire the weapon with the bolt carrier not in the forward position. Just far enough forward that the hammer will go forward, then ride it forward. This wouldn't work on an AK with an auto sear because the hammer will not release until the bolt is in battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts