AK Rifles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew something was wrong. It would really be easy to think Obama had something to do with this. But I aint going there.

· Registered
11,464 Posts
It looks like the same thing this site went through.

The Guns Network link gets a lot of hits. A company owns (registered) that name and David was paying to use it. Now the company is trying to screw over David and keep the name, and he apparently also had server trouble, as he is getting his own servers set up so he only has to pay for name registration and not data hosting.

Just like how Krinkfreak got screwed out of "www.akforum.net" and we are now changed to "www.theakforum.net", it seems the networking group tried to screw David out of the Guns Net domain name. However, because he seemingly has more money (or pride, or whatever) he is taking them to court over it.

At the same time, he is getting his own servers, to avoid paying hosting fees (or to avoid hosting trouble, as this site has suffered from in the past, when asshole hosting companies don't pay attention to us or treat us like shit).

· Banned
355 Posts
Taking them to court over it? :bullshit:

That isn't how you deal with Icann domain infringement. Sounds like more hot air and finger pointing about mistakes hes made. Well, R.I.P. Sad that the data is gone, but the guy didn't back any of it up...

The failure is completely due to mismanagement. I initially offered assistance (as I do with any firearm community in trouble) but retracted after I saw their reaction to all the firearm communities and their problem in general. Decent repository of information, wrong guy to be running that site..... too late now.

My professional opinion is its gone for good, and the guy is blowing a ton of hot air. If it was coming back it would be back already; and even if it does come back, its starting with no data on vbulletin with all but its most avid users gone, so it still "dies". R.I.P.

There is no tinfoil to this one folks. Take a site that's run by a guy with absolutely no clue, no desire to learn, and an ego the size of new york city and it is going to have bad consequences at some point.

· Registered
636 Posts
os-foxtrot said:
My professional opinion is its gone for good, and the guy is blowing a ton of hot air. If it was coming back it would be back already; and even if it does come back, its starting with no data on vbulletin with all but its most avid users gone, so it still "dies". R.I.P.
Anything on the Web is ephemeral. It's only partially real when it's on my hard disk, and fully real once it goes to off-site backup.

If something is interesting, click "Save Page As" and snarf it down! You never know when it might go away.

· Registered
60 Posts
last I heard ,they are in the process of bring it back online.
Same as Gunsnetwork:
This below is as of thursday...

"Guns NetworkWe have both websites up and I will be working on the forums, there will be discussion forums just not hundreds of them any more. We are going to stream line the forums some. We will have an AK-47 discussion forums and there will be a military weapons forums and then Guns Network's discussion forums for now. He still have the main server at his home until it will move moved into it's main home."

"Guns Network You will have to re-register with same username and your password. once we open the website top everyone. Currently they are on a private network. As they would need to be moved to there main home. We do not have the old databases folks and this is why the re-registering."

· Registered
2,356 Posts
I say good riddance to a formerly good site that went bad. WAAAAY bad IMHO...
BUT (unfortunately, again IMHO) David will bring the site back but it will NOT be what it once was. He's too much of a scheister and can never leave well enough alone. I've dealt with him personally and shot with him a few times and know what kind of guy he really is... I know of a couple of staff members over there that have been distancing themselves from him for sometime now. From what I've been told, his old lapdog .308 is still clinging to him though...

· Registered
7,131 Posts
INFANTRY said:
Type-56-1 said:
I knew something was wrong. It would really be easy to think Obama had something to do with this. But I aint going there.

All I can say is... thanks for not going there and bringing tin foil hat crap here. :wink:
Yep, that kinda crap doesn't fly 'round these parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.