AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an AK_Builder Hungarian UF flat which I bent but have not done anything else to it, no heat treating, no top rails cut, no reaming of the holes, etc. Would I be able to ship this out of state to an individual who is not an FFL?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,703 Posts
oj_diaz said:
I have an AK_Builder Hungarian UF flat which I bent but have not done anything else to it, no heat treating, no top rails cut, no reaming of the holes, etc. Would I be able to ship this out of state to an individual who is not an FFL?
I dont think you can..I believe it goes by % of reciever completed..Your reciever already has pin holes mag hole etc..Someone will be along shortly to clearify ..Those prebent blanks where just that..No holes ..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,171 Posts
i would say no. you could hand it to him maybe but not thru the mail. you could mail it to a manufacturer to use but maybe not a dealer. this is my thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,707 Posts
The understanding I have gotten from the boards over the years is that once bent, it becomes legally a firearm. So you'll have to treat it as such.
Just my opinion based on what I have read. I myself tend to be conservative in these areas. If I mess up a flat after I bend it, I torch it to slag in ways that would make an ATF guy smile. Then start over on a new flat. It's kinda funny, but that has been the main use for my torch the past two years. :roll: I couldn't build from a flat without messing a couple up along the way.
Since you bent it, you are the manufacturer now. If you were to pass it along to somone else to finish I would think you'd have to first stamp all your info into it.
You can see the possible legal ramifications in this area. This is why conventional wisdom says if you build from a flat, keep it for yourself and maybe pass it down through your family after you're gone. But don't sell it or give it to anyone outside your immediate family. Liabilities are involved. Building for your own use is legal. Building with intent to sell or distribute is not. How do they define "distribute" Who knows? That's a gray area to stay out of IMO.

For example, if I wanted to get rid of the Hungy UF I built from a flat, my ass is best covered by demilling it completely and torching the reciever to slag and then just selling the parts kit sans any receiver parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
512 Posts
Legally, the "percentage" that is often referred to when dealing with incomplete receivers, has no basis in law whatsoever. There is nothing at all in the law or in any ATF document ever mentioning 80% completion or any other percent. It is up to ATF solely to decide when a receiver is a receiver. They have decided that a flat with holes drilled in it is not a receiver, and they have decided that a bent blank without holes drilled in it is not a receiver. As for other variations of incomplete receiver to that degree, without an ATF letter saying one way or another, there is absolutely no legal basis for stating whether or not it is or isn't.

For a little explanation, we need only look at a few commonly used factors. For instance, a bent blank is considered an 80% complete receiver, which means that making the cuts, drilling the holes, and installing the rails must comprise the other 20% of the work required. A flat has all the cuts made and holes drilled but must only be bent and have the rails installed. Therefore that work must also comprise 20% of the work required. So how can bending and installing rails comprise only 20% of the work when building a flat but bending can comprise 80% of the work on a bent blank? The answer is ... the ATF does not give 20% of a shit how complete the receiver is, it is solely up to their discretion to decide when a receiver has been made into a receiver and when it has not. If you want to find out for sure either way as to the legal status of what you have, the only legal recourse you have is to request a technical classification letter from the ATF or find one that someone else got for the same situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Exothermia said:
Legally, the "percentage" that is often referred to when dealing with incomplete receivers, has no basis in law whatsoever. There is nothing at all in the law or in any ATF document ever mentioning 80% completion or any other percent. It is up to ATF solely to decide when a receiver is a receiver. They have decided that a flat with holes drilled in it is not a receiver, and they have decided that a bent blank without holes drilled in it is not a receiver. As for other variations of incomplete receiver to that degree, without an ATF letter saying one way or another, there is absolutely no legal basis for stating whether or not it is or isn't.

For a little explanation, we need only look at a few commonly used factors. For instance, a bent blank is considered an 80% complete receiver, which means that making the cuts, drilling the holes, and installing the rails must comprise the other 20% of the work required. A flat has all the cuts made and holes drilled but must only be bent and have the rails installed. Therefore that work must also comprise 20% of the work required. So how can bending and installing rails comprise only 20% of the work when building a flat but bending can comprise 80% of the work on a bent blank? The answer is ... the ATF does not give 20% of a shit how complete the receiver is, it is solely up to their discretion to decide when a receiver has been made into a receiver and when it has not. If you want to find out for sure either way as to the legal status of what you have, the only legal recourse you have is to request a technical classification letter from the ATF or find one that someone else got for the same situation.
Precisely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
oj_diaz said:
I have an AK_Builder Hungarian UF flat which I bent but have not done anything else to it, no heat treating, no top rails cut, no reaming of the holes, etc. Would I be able to ship this out of state to an individual who is not an FFL?
once bent it is a reciever.
Sorry to say

These are pictures of NON-FFL items
Coldsteel Blank


Typical AK receiver Flats




Once you add holes to the Coldsteel blank it is a receiver
Once you make 1 bend (even just the top rail) to a typical AK flat it is a reciever

What you have is this



That my friend is a FFL item even without any heattreating or rails
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
"Once you make 1 bend (even just the top rail) to a typical AK flat it is a reciever"

This is not really true.....

there are more then one company that sells "flats" that have the top rails bent--being sold as 80%'ers without any FFL transfer....As I recall these also have all holes and cuts made--simply need the bottom bends made to complete the receiver.

here is the one that comes to mind right away....prebent upper rails with all holes already done---just needs lower bends plus rails installed.


http://dpharms.com/ak47-receiver-flats-p-47.html


BAF
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top