AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some time ago I received a group of photos showing the arrival of a large crate of captured war material from Iraq. The location would appear to to be a military base somewhere in CONUS. There are a large number of AK bayonets, a few RPGs, a couple of British Enfield rifles, and a batch of various AKs. Interestingly the weapons were all disassembled prior to shipment. Those with a sharp eye please share your observations...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Guy had help. Collected all the crap, boxed it up and shipped it home. STORY goes that all the other cargo had been put away except these boxes. Someone popped the lids and the rest is history. Personally I think he pissed off a partner in crime and got thrown under the bus. I was stationed around the corner at Hurlburt

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What an unfortunate situation. Hard to believe someone could be that naive about importation regulations (or foolish enough to try & slide something of that magnitude across the plate hoping they would get away with it). One fellow AK bayonet collector thought possibly this cache might have been the source for a number of Iraqi Tabuk AKM T2 bayonets which seemed to come on the market a few years ago. I guess it is possible if the stuff was seized by U.S. Customs and they opted to auction off legal to own items like bayonets.

I recall back in the mid-1980s a guy on the west coast went to a US Customs auction & bought a Canadian C1 FN/FAL! The buyer was as ignorant of what he had as were the Customs officials. I think he kept it until he passed away a few years ago. Makes me reflect back to a comment one of my D.I.s made when I was at the MCRD San Diego in early 1971 as a boot. He was lecturing the platoon in the squadbay about a Marine's role in combat. He said "A Marine has two duties. The first is to close with and destroy the enemy. The second is souvenirs." So True...!

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Iraqi bayonets... there was a guy in Baghdad when I got there, EARLY days of 2003 (same timeframe and Major Numbnuts here) who had footlockers filled to capacity with AK bayonets. I'd imagine he was probably one of the biggest suppliers of Iraqi bayonets. His lockers took up a hell of a lot of space on the M-1 tank they rolled out of Baghdad on. Believe he was 101st but they were catching a ride north any way possible including tanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts