AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I made a couple post already but I guess I should formally introduce myself. My name is Matthew, I am a 23 year old male living in New York state. Just out of college scraping to get bu, which is why this winter after much careful saving I splurged for my first "self present" in years and got myself my first AKM 47. Well most of one that is. I purchased a Polish AKM 47 with already populated and headspaced barrel. I got this from ArmsofAmerica. Sort of. It's not here yet. It's been just shy of three weeks, roughly 15 business days so far since I placed my order. I just had some general questions. Have any of you here dealt with armsofamerica before? How was your experience? I was told there would be a maximum ten day delay backorder on my kit, and 4 days to ship it. Which makes 14 days. Today I called and they said they haven't gotten a new shipment yet but definitely this week, and that my kit shoul be worked on and finished by mid next week at the latest so getting it to my house would be the end of next week or early the week after. That would make five weeks! 25 business days on a 14 business day expected. I'm not really irritated or anything because Mike the Customer relations guy said they were delayed due to the latest big scare with the 855 ammo ban. I was just wondering if this is typical, and what kind of quality I should expect from my kit. So far I have been pleased with armsofamerica's customer support. They seem up front and honest and apologized for the delay.
On another note have any of you guys built a Polish AKM 47 fixed stock kit? What should I expect? Thanks in advance and I look forward to chatting with you guys and hopefully soon to be posting pics of my kit and build progress.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Well, Ive got a couple things to say,

1. Welcome! You are going to love it here.

2. congrats on the purchase. Im sure it will be a great first gun for you.

3. You asked about AOA. Well, Ive had one experience with them. I helped a friend get a vepr 12. They were 999 or something on preorder or backorder(I forget). So he placed the order and I believe paid. When they finally came in AOA called and said that there would be an upcharge if he still wanted it. I told him to tell them to fuck off, but he paid anyway.

4. About the delay time, yep, if they really were 100% morally correct, they would have told you right away that it would be delayed. They didnt. What if you had a class to go to or something, that you paid $500+ for? Kind of fucked. I would tell them to go fuck themselves and get something else, unless you are set on that kit at that pricing.

5. There isnt going to be any difference building this kit and any other populated barreled akm. As long as your ready for that you should be fine.

5. You tend to have to wait for things in the AK market sometimes. Thats just the way it goes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I sort of figured that. The only problem is I'm really det on a wood fixed stock kit. Ak builder did have Hungarian AKM 47's with polish furniture and I eyed them for months while saving bit by bit but of course by the time I'd saved up they were sold out. Now they DO have Hungarian under folder kits well priced, and also a black polymer fixed stock kit. I don't care for polymer though and I really don't know about an underfolder. I hear they're inherently less accurate than a fixed stock kit. Plus in NY underfolder stocks are strictly a no no. That's why I went with AOA. they were the only place that had fixed stock wood kits left in stock that I could find.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Welcome to the forum, this place is an outstanding resource. My experiences with AoA has been great. Between my build buddies and I, we have purchased at least 10 kits of varying types and condition, plus numerous small bits. I have been very happy with every kit I have personally received. All were complete, with no missing small parts like pins and such, and they usually were in really nice condition. There hand select option is also in my opinion worth the money. I also bought a hand select beretta 92s from them, that pistol was exceptional, I mean like brand new. The items I got were as described and when there was a problem, they fixed it. About there shipping delays, they do mention when there is going to be a delay. In fact I am pretty sure a lot of there barreled kits have a 1-2 week delay. I dont know, maybe I have been lucky so far, but I will continue to do business with them.

As far as building Polish AKMs, I have built a number of Polish kits from AoA. It is a pretty straight forward build, what are you doing as far as the receiver?What shop skills do you have? Once those questions are answered, do your research. This forum is a wealth of information, dont be afraid to ask questions. But, with that being said, do your part and research as much as you can, your mind will be blown once you spend some time digging around in here. Enjoy the hobby

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My kits already populated and headspaced and installed barrel. I had thought about the barrel bucking method but the guys here turned me away from that. I'm going to get a 100% NDS receiver. I'll probably pick up the Toft tool barrel removal and install tool, and the toth tool jaws for squeezers/bolt cutters. I have a method planned out for ahome made jerry rigged way to do the rear trunnion that will save me money, as well as the same method for the center support rod. I would love to find some members here in NY or nearby MA or NH with tools or know how willing to help a newbie like me out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Welcome... the nds reciever will have center support installed. Would not do barrell bucking bar, find a cheap press used or find someone that has one you can use maybe even rent Lowe's sunbelt. Then just save for ak builder tools, if you only do one build sell the tool's. I also just ordered from aoa just a barrel it's been 3 day's no e-mail on shipping yet. Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've had good experiences with AOA they've treated me right and helped me out a lot. I would prefer going through Desert Fox Sales to buy kits if they've got them in inventory. Bachir is a stand up guy I've met him at a bunch of gun shows and even talked to him on the phone today about purchasing a Polish AKM kit. You should acquire a Childers Gun's receiver for your polish build that's what I used for mine.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the benefits of a childers receiver over a Nodak spud?

·
Registered
642 Posts
What are the benefits of a childers receiver over a Nodak spud?
The Childer's were built off of Polish blank receiver shells. They're more authentic looking they have the desirable (only to authenticity lovers) Y & I stamp to indicate the auto/safety sear axle pin goes. The other X & Y reinforcement stamps look more like the originals and so do the mag well dimples. On the NDS the mag well dimples are a copy of the commercial export Hungarian AKM's they don't look as authentic as well as the stampings.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I'm looking at the options for the receiver. Dot hey come with the rails installed already ornot? Also what is the "reinforcement plate"? Is it standard on a receiver or necessary?

·
Super Moderator
25,774 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As far as AOA I have ordered a kit and some barrels from them before and a few small parts, I had good customer service with them. When I bought my polish kit I put

"Would really like to have a hardwood kit" in the comment section. I received a hardwood kit. I've never bought a Childers receiver but I have read good things about them and you can get it with

the selector marks already done.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The Childer's receivers are 100% ones and require an FFL so yes they do have rails already installed. The reinforcement plate is only necessary if your building an under folder kit. It provides a more rigid foundation around pistol grip area. When stock is folded and firing it induces more stress on pistol grip. Also it's for when paratroopers and armored vehicle personnel when they jump out of plane, chopper, tank extc. When their hand is on the grip and when they land the sudden impact won't bend the receiver.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Guys. I think you've got me sold on a Childer's receiver. Think I'll get selector markings on it, and holes for the front and rear trunnion and center support pre drilled.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just finished 11 rounds of rust bluing on a Childers receiver. The other parts in the photo have their original finish. You can't go wrong with the Childers for a Polish build. It will even cost you less than the NDS and will come standard with the Polish selector markings.

That's gonna be a beautiful rifle, please post the pics when it's done. That receiver is nice... good job on the rust blue. Want to try it sometime. Home brew on the rust blue or did you order

a product?

Why do all my posts get weird text formatting? They look fine before I hit post button?

This has been bothering me for a while.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Home brew on the rust blue or did you order a product?
I used Pilkington's solution from Brownells. I would have tried the Brownells brand which is less expensive but they were out of stock at the time.

On the topic of AoA, I have had good experiences with them. When I had issues they worked to fix it. I have been tempted to pick up a hand select Polish kit from AoA. My kit came from Atlantic when AoA was out of stock a few months back on the barrel-less kits. There are some nice hardwood stock kits out there but mine has the laminated wood (also cool in its own way).

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Have used AoA many times. Have run into an item or two listed on the website that were out of stock but other than that no issues at all. Would buy from them with confidence and I've shopped them all...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts