AK Rifles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm traveling home to visit family in Alabama for July 4 (I'm in TX) and it's my understanding that AL will allow SBR/SBS ownership as of July 1st. What forms do I need to fill out to bring my Krink over, and I'm also (possibly) going to visit family in Knoxville, TN... do I need to fill out two of these forms?

· Registered
11,464 Posts
PolsVoice said:
I'm traveling home to visit family in Alabama for July 4 (I'm in TX) and it's my understanding that AL will allow SBR/SBS ownership as of July 1st. What forms do I need to fill out to bring my Krink over, and I'm also (possibly) going to visit family in Knoxville, TN... do I need to fill out two of these forms?

You need to get ATF approval to take an NFA weapon across state lines, out of the country, etc... you do this on a Form 20.

Sample: http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/form20.html

· Banned
4,281 Posts
PolsVoice said:
I'm traveling home to visit family in Alabama for July 4 (I'm in TX) and it's my understanding that AL will allow SBR/SBS ownership as of July 1st.

you might have a problem there, if the law goes into effect on 1 Jul, and the form is processed before that, it might be be disaproved.

what I would do is call the NFA branch and ask if they will approve the interstate move for after 1 Jul if the form reaches them before that day.

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigAL said:
better send it in quick, it takes a month or more.
really? I was hearing 1 to 2 weeks...

ALSO...

anyone ever fly with a NFA item? I fly with my pistol all the time, but this'll be the first time I take the krink. Anything I should be aware of?

· Registered
5,054 Posts
PolsVoice said:
BigAL said:
better send it in quick, it takes a month or more.
really? I was hearing 1 to 2 weeks...

ALSO...

anyone ever fly with a NFA item? I fly with my pistol all the time, but this'll be the first time I take the krink. Anything I should be aware of?

My last one took around 1 month..

· Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have a link to an official release on the pending legality of SBR/SBS in AL? I'd like to print it out and send it with my form...

· Registered
11,464 Posts
Caligula said:
PolsVoice said:
I'm traveling home to visit family in Alabama for July 4 (I'm in TX) and it's my understanding that AL will allow SBR/SBS ownership as of July 1st.

you might have a problem there, if the law goes into effect on 1 Jul, and the form is processed before that, it might be be disaproved.

what I would do is call the NFA branch and ask if they will approve the interstate move for after 1 Jul if the form reaches them before that day.

That won't matter. The ATF doesn't approve the form universally, they approve it for the dates specified. If the dates specified are after the Alabama legislation is officially implemented, he will have no issues.

Of course, if he visits earlier (or leaves later) than the form states, he will be in trouble whether it is after the AL law takes effect or not... regardless of how doubtful it is a LE officer will care enough to pursue it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.