AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got second one in today from well known vendor and discovered it has the same problems as the first that was sent back. Is this normal for the tantals to have the chrome chipped at the muzzle and the rear trunnion rivet heads not properly formed ?? Last I checked muzzle damage was bad mojo in the accuracy dept. Anyone having one of these please weigh in before I contact the vendor for a second time, so far out $40 in transfer fees. Thanks guys

I don't want to raise a stink over something that's normal, but I have yet to see a muzzle crown or rivets look like this after the 15 or so AKs I've owned :neutral: .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Do some searching on different boards and you WILL find talk of flaking of the chrome bores on some kits that were sold

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
There have been numerous accounts of polish guns having flaking bores, mainly tantals. I had two kits that were flaking at the chamber end. I'm sure the sandblasting to the muzzle didn't help either. I would contact them and see what they have to tell you.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
You shouldn't be paying fees each time. You can even send the rifle straight back to the MFR and have it returned to your house. If, for whatever reason, you have to go through the dealer, I would hope he wouldn't charge you each time.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have an interarms tantal and I do not having any flaking on the crown and my rivets do not look like that. Mine is early model built on a armory usa receiver and not the nodak they are now using.

Now this is speculation, but the Interarms tantals have been in high demand the last few months and it could be that their quality is slipping as they ramp up volume.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
The rivets suck.

The bore thing is "normal"... in that the builder in all likelihood did nothing wrong (unless he sand blasted the crown, which doesn't help but also wouldn't cause the pit), that is just how the kit came to him, as some kits did come like that. Personally, I'd re-crown it and call it good if that was the only thing wrong with it.

On the other hand, the rivets are terrible. It looks like how rivets look when you press them with the flat head, before you turn to the scalloped end to form the heads.

·
Registered
990 Posts
muzzle is most likely fucked for accuracy, and those rivits arent even mashed down at all from the looks of it.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Re: Interarms Tantal advice needed ASAP ...!!

56type said:
Not normal, but not uncommon either. I have seen this with a few Tantal kits aswell as some AKS-74 kits.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My sar-2 has a chip like yours on the crown, i freaked when i saw it, but it has'nt caused any accuracy problems.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll be sending it back due to the rivet issues and especially the muzzle crown. Maybe the third time will be it ...... :neutral:

ETA; Upon closer inspection I guess I can add FSB cant, and the right side front trunnion rivet doesn't have a head formed on the inside of the magwell. :shock:

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You would be better off having one built out of a nice parts kit. if the first 2 had issues I doubt #3 will be any better.

·
Registered
446 Posts
you could recrown the muzzle. but those rivets look like pillsbury biscuts before you bake em. nope send her back.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got off the phone with my vendor, who after pulling several from his stock and contacting Interarms, tells me Interarms is saying the rivets are supposed to be that way. This info is coming from the head guy at Hi Standard/ Interarms.

However I just went to the Polish section of the forum and checked out the Factory 11 link which clearly shows that the rivets should have traditional looking rivet heads. I don't mean to disrespect/bash anyone involved but I have to pose the question of "who knows more about the design, the original factory in Poland, or Interarms.

In any case that is how they are now being built by Interarms whether we like it or not. All of the rifles that were examined today have the rivets this way. If it's not too much to ask, would those who own or have built a tantal on the NDS 2T reciever please post pics as I have asked the vendor to check this post to do some comparasions of apples to apples so to speak. I've also examined several Century Tantals and noticed the rivets look like what I'm used to seeing. Thanks All..... I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Interarms is not bound to the standards that exist on factory Tantals. Yeah the rivets look like ass, but I don't see how you can expect a budget assembly line rifle to be built "visually correct".

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I guess I figured if century could get it right it wouldn't be to much to expect the same from Interarms.......Especially since others have posted that their rifles riveting looks to be of the type we are used to seeing on AKs and were built by Interarms.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Those rivets are supposed to look that way ONLY if you stop applying pressure halfway through the build! That rivet head isn't properly formed, and these other guys' pictures can be one source to prove it.

Will it affect the build? Hardly. The only way the rivets back there would be affected if for some reason the grenade launcher was used and fired with heavy blanks. I saw in-field photos of an AK that had that happen, but I forget if it was accidental (with the wrong blanks) or simply a fluke. This was on a factory build.

So I don't think those rivets would hurt anything as-is. However if they are trying to say "go away" then I would consider getting a refund. But that's just IMO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts