AK Rifles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've got all my parts rounded up and I'm starting to build my Chinese milled spiker clone and I have a question. I'm using an original Chinese milled threaded barrel and want to know the best way to installing it. I was just going to chuck the receiver in the vice with padded jaws, put a proper size wrench on the barrel flat and crank it on.

Now I know from building FAL's that you just don't put the receiver in a vice and start cranking without a receiver wrench. Problem is I can't find any receiver wrenches for a milled AK receiver.

Any thoughts?

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. And would it be safe to assume that if by chance the barrel is over timed in reference to the receiver that I can add a breaching washer to correct it (like with FAL's)?

· Registered
1,399 Posts
The problem with AK threaded barrels is that they have to time and headspace at the same time . If the barrel times right when torqued and the headspace is off, you have to either file the bolt lugs or in some cases face some off the breechface and ream the chamber deeper. It ain't cut and dried with just timing the barrel...................and it ain't fun.

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
loner42 said:
The problem with AK threaded barrels is that they have to time and headspace at the same time . If the barrel times right when torqued and the headspace is off, you have to either file the bolt lugs or in some cases face some off the breechface and ream the chamber deeper. It ain't cut and dried with just timing the barrel...................and it ain't fun.
Yeah, I know that it isn't going to be as easy as a press and pin barrel but since I want to be a full time gunsmith someday (hopefully in the not too distant future) I feel the experience is worth the frustrations.

· Registered
2,382 Posts
Correct me if im way out in left field, but if the barrel components are not installed (the RSB cant be for sure) and the gas port is not drilled what is left to time? The extractor cut right?...and that can be a little off one way or another and be fine correct? So screw in barrel, HS, and then press on the barrel components.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
I was assuming this was a complete barrel with all the components. Where did I miss that it was an uncut barrel ?

· Registered
2,382 Posts
Doesn't say one way or another. Even if it was an assembled barrel, wouldn't it be better to remove all the components for install and HS, then re time them to the barreled receiver?
loner42 said:
I was assuming this was a complete barrel with all the components. Where did I miss that it was an uncut barrel ?

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The barrel I'm using is a complete take off from a Chinese M22 rifle, so all of the components are already pinned to the barrel and the gas port is drilled. I've already removed all the components from the barrel. I'm going to go with CNC Warrior for the receiver and they said that they need the barrel I intend to use or the original stub (don't have) and they will custom cut the threads to the barrel. Now I don't know if that means that they're going to cut it so it times correctly or if they're just going to make sure that the thread pitch is the same. I'm thinking though if I can get it to headspace correctly but it's slightly off I'll either shim the barrel or take some off the shoulder (which ever is needed).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.