AK Rifles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Don't alter it. The second you modify it, value drops significantly.

·
Registered
488 Posts
...Unless configuration as a "user" is paramount, as it it is usually for me.

I've been a serious collector -gave up on it. I'd rather have unrestricted enjoyment with my firearms than have a yoke of investment placed on them. Also, I don't care to impress anyone with "my collection".

That's just me.

Lollygagger :neutral:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sensitive about altering a nice Norinco, but my eyes are going. I am hoping to have a smith blue the rail to match the receiver.

An 84s with a Kobra should be great.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Well if you want to "enjoy" your guns, why ruin a nice collector. Get a Yugo or heck a WASR and add a scope mount onto that. Sell the rare one to someone who IS a collector and buy yourself 2 or 3 AKs you can customize. If you have no care about collecting, well then why do you have to mess up a CHINESE AK... why not a Romanian or Yugoslavian or heck a JoeKen toss together AK. You can sell the Norinco and get enough cash to BUY two JoeKen AKs that already have the side rails on them. Or, do a fair trade, sell the Norinco and then buy a pre-ban Yugo AK that already has the scope rail on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Q-gunner2

You make good points but it isn't about the money. Hell, if I was sensitive to the costs involved I wouldn't be into AK/AR/FAL/H&K/Uzi...you name it!

I feel the same way you do and I run just about everything I have bone stock original. No WASR for me, but I already have an ugly but great shooting SAR-3, a SAM-5s, and another safe queen 84s (keeping my Poly AKS, Krebs, an AK-USA 74, and lots of others company). But I love the 84s and am picking up another as a shooter.

Can't the rail be done tastefully? I'm not Tapco-izing it! I'm getting sensitive here about being accused of "hacking up" a beloved Norinco.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
714 Posts
It can be done and it can be done well. I don't think anyone is accusing anyone in this thread(just my take on it, I'm not speaking for anyone) I just think that everyone that has spoken up about it has valid points. Especially if it is a minty specimen. Get a beater to modify, let someone who is serious about collecting have the pristine ones that they will never shoot. I personally shoot all of mine, they only have collector value to me.They are my collection. :cool:

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Lollygagger said:
If I wanted to collect something...

It would say something like C-O-L-T on it.

Lollygagger :neutral:
That's what people said when they hacked up Mosin Nagant Remington M-91s 10 years ago. Hey, it's only $60. Now they sell for over $300. Same deal with Finnish M-27s and M-28s. People sold them as "91/30s" without knowing what they are, but look on GunBroker, even shitty looking ones go over $600. So if you found a M-28, bought it for $60 because it said M-91/30, boom you have ten times as much cash just like that. Sporterize it and it becomes a bastardized POS.

For instance, there was a Norinco folder for sale with FOUR Chinese bakelite mags (7.62x39mm) with box and all for $1,250. Nobody bought it, because the finish was parkerized instead of blued. Someone told me to offer him $600 on it, because sporterized that is what they are worth. You are putting money into it (buying the scope mount) and loosing money on it (damaging the collectors value).

If you do it, at least pick a beater specimine. LNIB is way too good to hack up. If I had one LNIB it wouldn't get shot. If I was tempted to shoot it, I would sell to a collector, take the cash and buy a used but VG condition rifle that I COULD shoot, and use the spare cash on mags or ammo or what not.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My opinion?

If you want the Kobra or a scope, get the side rail and be happy. We're not talking about a war relic here, we're discussing a commercial venture by the dreaded communist Chinese! Certainly a collectible, and I'm a huge fan of 5.56 Norinco AK's. By all accounts they're just about the worst buy in the AK world. Great rifles with a few select complaints, the simple fact that even 5 round mags are illegal for importation due to legislative policy should knock a few hundred off of purchase price. They're AK's--not HK's.

Seriously though, in the history of firearms, modifications to suit the individual shooter are a legacy we can't ignore. Kobras are cool. I don't think they're very attractive but they work pretty good and that's the whole issue isn't it?

Do what's right for you. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the matching blue job. The cast crap mount on the Rommies usually is a tad off-color and once your optic is mounted it's covered anyway. Personal preference there.

For the potential buyer that says "no" to a modified rifle there's certainly another who'll say "cool, an optics rail".

I say enjoy the firearm as you wish. Nobody lives forever and money isn't really worth much. It's an AK, as long as you avoid those bolt-on AR stocks and what-not......... :mrgreen:

JMHO

1 - 11 of 11 Posts