AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever done this??

i presume its no big deal, drill the hole in the proper place, make sure its not in any reciprocating parts way, loctite it, etc.

but i get nervous drilling rec'rs lol.

its a romanian AK74 FWIW.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i am amazed, i have posted this 'q on 3 different forums with no answers i figured lotsa folks had tried this lol,

i spoke with a local 'smith last week and he said it should work fine, just drill the hole in the right place, and stake the swivel screw so it wouldnt come loose, he said if i get too hinky (i get hinky when i drill holes in rec'rs lol) to bring it by his place & he'd drill it for me for free, so he must think it wont be too bad,

will post w/pics how it turns out, wish me luck,

:jiggy:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I personally feel ther is not much demand for a sling swivel mounted on the receiver unless it is milled or an AMD 65. It would be easy enough to do though. Drill the hole on left side, insert sling swivel, loctite and tighten nut. Should not take more than a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I just had one drilled and tapped on the rear of my Draco Champ Pistol, a friend of mine drilled it rear center since it came with no rear sling swivel and of course no stock. It is very thick back there on the end cap and will hold well, but a thin receiver wall? Dont think I would do it. But its your rifle, do as you wish, let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
821 Posts
yeah I gotta say I'm still try'n to figure this one out? why cant you put the sling swivel on the stock? why does it have to go on the reciever?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it has an EG folder on it that i broke the swivel off of (yep i broke an AK lol)and cant find a replacement swivel for it that fits the folder anyplace FWIW.

haave thought about welding a swivel on the stock but i dont think it would work.

am open to suggestions though, a local 'smith had my rifle trying to figure out what to do for ~ 12 months, i just went and got it back last week, i might just suck it up and get a new folder and sell the broken one to somebody who dont need a sling.

:dance:

i got the swivel from kvar today and i think they might have sent the wrong item, am gonna get with them tue and see WTF, like i say been trying to get this going since spring of '07.

:flush:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it was the wrong swivel, am gonna send it back to 'em and just put a new folder on it, ordered a tantal earlier, hopefully it will be the equal of the EG one, which i really liked, am at the point now were i just wanna get it fixed been dealing with this for a yr now lol........

:themao:

thanks for the info though guys.........

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
swivel

If I remember correctly, the swivel loop is retained by a piece of sheet metal that is wrapped around it and riveted to the folder base. You could probably make a retainer from sheet metal and re-attach it with a rivet. It is probably a wise decision not to drill a hole in the receiver for the swivel because it might be an issue to a prospective buyer if you decide to sell the gun in the future.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts