AK Rifles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I Warmed the trunnion up with some Map gas (200-300 degrees) and stuck the end of the barrel in some liquid Nitrogen. Slid right in, had time to line everything up, and away we go! I dont need no stinkin press!
Nitrogen will not harm the barrel, in fact it helps stress relieve it if anything. Cryogenic freezing turns retained austenites into Martensites and aligns the grain of the metal better.
You guys should try doing the same. No Nitrogen?? try this. Get some dry ice, break it up into small chunks and put in a insulated cup, and pour a few inches of rubbing ( 90%) alcohol in it and let the mixture cool up a bit.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
i just polish the barrel and trunion with some fine emory cloth.. to there it slides in 3/4 of the way by hand ,, tap it all the way in with a block of wood
no press needed

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw a tv show on how the pocket rocket racers send there trans . gears out for cold treating it makes them almost bullet proof. they use liquid nitrogen and slowly bring them back to room temp.just like you said it aligns the grain in the metal .CO 2 is not as cold as the nitrogen is that what the alcohol is for.I used freezit spray (-86 deg.) when i installed my barrel it is used to test for open circit board breaks also stops the itch from skeeter bites.I posted some picts. over on the image gallery at gunco .I like new ideas :cool:

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
The spray will not work as well as submersing method but it will work. You probably would need to use a couple cans to acheive the temps of the Dry ice trick. The dry ice method should get you down to a bit under -100F because dry ice is 109- and alcohol freezes at 178 below (pure)

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Alot of people put the barrel in the freezer overnight and thereceiver/trunion in the oven for a half hour or so, it works from what i've heard, but you have to move quick. Me personally i pound in the barrel with a hammer, i can do it in under five minutes and everything lines up great. McM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts