AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm gonna through myself in front of a bus here. Can't believe what I did yesterday..

I tried to remove the gas tube off one of my SLR107s with the bolt carrier still in. Dust cover on and everything. Took out the mag, checked the chamber and then went to work.... Why? I can't tell you why..

I can't get it off with my hand (obviously) so I run some of that yellow plastic rope through it and tie it to a large post and start jerking real hard on it. The upper plastic hand guard breaks. I figure with that I'll sit down for a sec and rest. The moment I sit down I have a WTF moment and realize the rifle is not field stripped....

I filed strip it and the gas tube comes right off.

So as stupid and angry at myself as I feel I just want to know what parts to look at to make sure I didn't fuck anything up.

Besides the handguard that I broke could I have fucked anything else up? Gas piston looks straight, same with gas block, not sure what else to check though?

I was a dick to my girlfriend yesterday and I think St. Valentine j shoved his cock down my throat as punishment..

·
Registered
22,613 Posts
might want to check the gas tube itself. Where did the upper handguard break?

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
Post some pics up and lets take a look.

Reactions: Speedfreak

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gas tube actually looks good. I can snap some pics but honestly besides the handguard nothing visibly looks wrong. Hence why I am mostly laughing about the stupidity of this situation.

But I was yanking as hard as I could 15+ times with the gas tube tied to a large weight bearing post...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

photo2-1.jpg

In the first pic the front trunnion looks crooked to me...it could be the way I'm holding the camera, but I took a few and they all looked like that...I exerted a lot of force but I don't think enough to move the front trunnion.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Edited by JoeMomma:

Keep up this stupid shit your pulling, and your going to be on the outside looking in. Last warning...next time, your gone.
I will not post pics of my jun.... Oh wait for 20 bucks, nope thats not right.
Looks like a pee pee slap. Who's your Daddy? Joe Momma thats who..

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
:grin:

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
The pic of the RSB does look twisted. Has it always been like that? Do you see anywhere where there is fresh marks from movement? Have you looked down the barrel? Does the bolt/carrier move freely?

Its kinda hard for us to judge as we don't know exactly how much force you used. Using a screwdriver is different than using a crowbar so I'll assume that you used a crowbar. If that's the case then look for things that I suggested above.

Also, it would be a big help to you if you knew your rifle before this happened. A AK is a AK and we all know that no AK is perfect. Canted sights and RSB are common on AKs so maybe yours always had it and you just never noticed it. Point being is don't over analize the rifle when it comes to these things upon your inspection.

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
How do your rivets look? Does there appear to be any deformation at all?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bolt carrier moves freely. I don't have any pictures of the rifle before the incident but the RSB/front trunnion never looked off until I took pics from that angle.

When the rifle is assembled it looks straight and still passes the "table test" ie both ears of the front sight are flush with the table as is the rear sight leaf.

Crowbar like force would be accurate...

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
Well, it sounds like you just had a brain cramp, but no real permanent from what I've seen and you described. The last thing I would try is to put it all back together, give it a function test (no ammo obviously), then hit the range as soon as you can.

I'm assuming you have already zeroed your rifle, so if that's the case, and it not only functions, but is still zeroed, you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
Bolt carrier moves freely. I don't have any pictures of the rifle before the incident but the RSB/front trunnion never looked off until I took pics from that angle.

When the rifle is assembled it looks straight and still passes the "table test" ie both ears of the front sight are flush with the table as is the rear sight leaf.

Crowbar like force would be accurate...
All rivets look good
Sounds like you good to go then. JoeMomma pretty much summed it up. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Why the instigating? Not everyone in CO is a pothead...

I find it a little ironic/idiotic also since according to your location you are from Oregon...

·
Premium Member
13,774 Posts
We've all done stupid things that turns out to be no brainers. Ya gotta expect some shit to be flown your way op. It's all in good nature though.

·
Super Moderator
26,331 Posts
Keep it on topic gentlemen....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts