AK Rifles banner

Improving the AK (Not a purists thread!)

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  stackscustominc 
#1 ·
If you could change anything on the AK's design what would it be?

#7 ·
a mag release like the G3... both paddle and button... and then one of those left handed charging handle top covers on a 74 with poly and a railed gas tube...

the 74 muzzle brake is just heaven to shoot, the round damn accurate and lethal, and the mags fit most pouches and are durable...

just one of those top covers that don't change nothing permanent would be really handy...

#9 ·
short stroke gas system
left hand charging with right hand eject
optics rail on right side of reciver
thumb selector
iron peepsights that are windage and elevation adjustable
on 223's ar15 magwell adapter
hinged top cover
fixed bayonet like on some chinese ak's
74 sidefolder

#15 ·
No bolt hold open is for a reason. Ak's were designed without it just like l1a1's for a reason, to keep debris like sand or dirt or whatever from blowing into the ejection port and mucking things up.

I think the hinged top cover like on the krinks would be a good idea. One less thing to do during re/disassembly. I shoot with peep sights mainly because I shoot my fal more than anything. But I prefer the ak type sights for distance shooting. A longer sight radius would be a very good thing for an ak though. Throw in some night sights for good measure. Opening up the notch in the rear sight wouldn't be a bad idea. Alot better for dusk or sunrise type light settings though night sights would probably take care of that.

#16 ·
Start with a Valmet M76 (stamped).

Go with the Yugo trunnion and thicker receiver.

Add the Galil or Tantal thumb safety.

Use the SVD adjustable gas system.

Put the charging handle on the gas tube like the INSAS.

Beef up the cartridge a bit.

Actually, that pretty much describes one of my AK projects-in-progress...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.