AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this Imbel kit in Late January, and after scoring a receiver off Gunbroker, had Glen Riddle at Magnum Gunsmithing build it. Its hard to believe this is the same rifle now, the attention to detail is simply outstanding. I"d like to thank jr suds, and INFANTRY for pointing me in the right direction.
I took it out for function test today with 100 rds of blanks. After a few mags in rapid fire, I ended up with a gas setting of "3" instead of the "2" it was on.
The only trouble I had with it was when I tried turning the gas to "4"...short cycle, and failure to extract. Even on "3", this thing tosses spent brass like an AK...ten to fifteen feet!

What it started out as:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

After the build:

Details:

I ran across this SADF LBE, as well as the bayonet. It can be a lttle confusing when your putting it together, but once you figure it out, it rides well, and seems like a solid piece of kit. My only complaint is the buckle...it sucks! I will find an issue US pistol belt, then use the buckle off of that, and have someone sew it on.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I got the painting of the numbers and both sights off a website while doing a little research. The white Imbel logo was Glens idea...I thought it was a nice touch.

I"m drawn to the FAL for the same reasons I am the AK series...robust design, reliability, and years of service use.
I sure can"t wait to get the L1A1 completed...but thats gonna take a little bit more time.

Until I put my target up tomorrow, here is a pretty cool link to the Austrian BH 1st GdKp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpbO8-5H ... re=related

Although those guys are good, these guys are the world standard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y90UPLLo6nY

One of my favorite sets they do...

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sidecarnutz said:
Joe

Just let me know if you want a new buckle sewn on. My pleasure to help you on it.

That is a beautiful rifle!
You were the first person I thought of Rich. :smile:

G

·
Nice Imbel! Careful tho FALitus is contagious I started with an Imbel and the collection grew from there all i need now is a L1A1.

IMO the Imbel brake is one of the good ones to.....Wonder how it would work on a AK.

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had an STG58 built back in 95 when kits were well under $200, but I have that set up as a DMR, and wanted one for general use that was lighter.

Quick question for the FAL guys; for my L1A1 build, what would you use for 922 parts?
So far, I"m going with a DSA receiver, USA piston, and mag floorplate and follower which gives me four. I need three more, but unsure of what kind of US made furniture to go with, unless someone makes US fire control parts. Ideas?

G

·
JoeMomma said:
Quick question for the FAL guys; for my L1A1 build, what would you use for 922 parts? So far, I"m going with a DSA receiver, USA piston, and mag floorplate and follower which gives me four. I need three more, but unsure of what kind of US made furniture to go with, unless someone makes US fire control parts. Ideas?
I use Falcon Arms trigger groups in mine, Counts as three.

· Registered
4,405 Posts
Damn Joe, I only had them build mine and not refinished. Your's is lookin sweet as hell and I'm wishing I would have had mine done. Glad your happy with the work he did, he's a good man.

These FAL's bring me back to the early 80's as a kid looking at SOF mags when my mom was shopping.

· Registered
789 Posts
JoeMomma said:
I had an STG58 built back in 95 when kits were well under $200, but I have that set up as a DMR, and wanted one for general use that was lighter.

Quick question for the FAL guys; for my L1A1 build, what would you use for 922 parts?
So far, I"m going with a DSA receiver, USA piston, and mag floorplate and follower which gives me four. I need three more, but unsure of what kind of US made furniture to go with, unless someone makes US fire control parts. Ideas?
Hay Joe
Over on Falfiles there is a guy selling US made Inch type cocking handles. Its counts for 922R (as the operating rod I think) Falcon makes Hammer trigger and sear. Century Arms (of all peapol) makes a pretty good Stock grip and four arm for the money (less then $30 as I recall off of there websight) and all three count tward 922. There is a guy on the Files that sells US made Inch patern barrels all so (Pat somthing).

Beutiful gun by the way.

Best of luck
Old Sarge

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.