AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been (over?) analyzing this the entire day today.

:neutral:

I own and/or have fired every single quality production handgun out there. My two favorite handguns are (quality) 1911's and the SIG P22X series. This is where I'm stuck...

For carry, I'm torn between two of my favorite handguns, one is a full size 1911 (Wilson Combat CQB) in 45 ACP, and the other a SIG P226 in 9mm (my 2nd 226, bought new this year). Both guns have thousands of rounds through them and have been 100% reliable. So, reliability isn't a concern here, only features and personal preference.

SIG P226...
Grip: feels great in my hand, not perfect, but great.
DA/SA Trigger: would MUCH rather prefer an SAO or DAK SIG, but can't due to state law.
Lack of Manual Safety/IS: No real complaints.
Mag Cap: 10 + 1 or 15/17 + 1. Even though I live in a ban state, pre-ban mags are still "easy" to find if you look hard enough.
Quality Mags: Expensive either way.
Accuracy: I am very accurate with the P226 in SA mode.

WC CQB 1911...
Grip: feels perfect in my hand, "like a glove". That said, I'm not too fond of the grip safety, though it's not a big deal.
SA Trigger: Love it, period.
Manual Thumb Safety: I don't have a problem with it.
Mag Cap: 7 or 8 + 1... ehh, more is good.
Quality Mags: Inexpensive when compared to the price of SIG P22X mags.
Accuracy: I am very accurate with a full size 1911.

As you can see, it's give and take. It comes down to first shot accuracy and mag capacity - both of which can make the difference in a defensive situation.

What would YOU pick and why?!

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
I've carried both, currently own a couple P226's and carry them as well as S&W M&P's.

There's a lot to be said for having 16 or 18 rounds of Speer 9mm 124 gr. +P Gold Dot or 127 gr. +P+ Winchester Ranger SXT vs. 8 rounds of 230 gr. Speer Gold Dot.

I'd feel comfortable with either.

I'd wear the two different handguns around the house for several days each and find out which one is more comfortable and accessable for you to carry.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You will find those bigs guns a heavy load to carry all day. Even harder to concel well due to their size. Around the house is one thing, walking around actively outside is another. I prefer compacts for regular carry.

Look at a Sig P228 or P229 or one of the new XDs or even a Glock. Kahr makes a grat 9mm. Those extra 25 ounces less will let you carry extra ammo and not dig into your hipbone....

If you are not sure, try wearing a rig with the right weight around...

-Cabby

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I've been faced with a similar problem, I've carried my Springfield Armory Champion, almost everywhere since 2001. I decided to carry my Glock 19 on a recent trip and it did'nt even feel like I was carrying. Now I carry the G-19, but I feel guilty for retiring the Champion.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Kenelm52 said:
No, nothing longer than a day class.
There are many things that a multi-day pistol training class can tell you about what works for you vs. what doesn't that the square range cannot. Many previously unforseen things may become glaringly obvious.

My recommendation would be to take training and then judge. Alternately you could get involved in a gun game like IPSC or IDPA; while not the same as training you can can valuable insight as to what works for you.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Cabhammer said:
You will find those bigs guns a heavy load to carry all day. Even harder to concel well due to their size. Around the house is one thing, walking around actively outside is another. I prefer compacts for regular carry.

Look at a Sig P228 or P229 or one of the new XDs or even a Glock. Kahr makes a grat 9mm. Those extra 25 ounces less will let you carry extra ammo and not dig into your hipbone....

If you are not sure, try wearing a rig with the right weight around...

-Cabby
+1

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you are torn between the too ... look at carry systems and stuff like that for both....you really wont see the issues with that until you have carried them for a week or two. For example... I carried a HK USP for a number of years... nice gun but when ever I would sit in the car, the seat belt would routinely hit the mag release and eject the mag... I got in the habit of pushing the mag in every time i got out of the car to make sure it was seated.... this is something that you would not find out about unless you lived with the gun for a bit.

I have carried a 226 in past and now carrying Glock 33.. I like the smaller size as it is easier to conceal...... the 1911 is slimmer so that should be easier to conceal.... not sure if you looking at ccw or open carry..... ccw presents a new set of issues IMO....

also if it is going to be close to your skin.. or exposed to the elements the sig finnish sucks.... (Blued, not k-kote).. after a few years with my sig during the hot humid part of the year (Monsoon in AZ). I would oil mine before going on duty and brush the light coat of rust and re-oil at the end of the shift 10 hours later. This was only a problem where it was exposed to sweat and the elements... like on the back of the slide by the hammer where the holster did not cover it.

Most people with later nickel and k-kote guns didn't have this problem. loved the SIG. If I had kept it though I would have had it refinished though

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've carried both. Concealed, I feel as though I'm just a little faster with the 226 BUT I find the 1911 to be more concealable with t-shirt/jeans.

I don't have a problem concealing or carrying a full sized handgun - I actually prefer full size over compact/sub compact. That said, during the more unbearable days of summer, I'll carry my 229, Commander, or even just a J frame.

Living in MA, I am not able to shoot any where near as much as I did when I was in ME. I've done some training and competing in ME, but it's been a while (years).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would rather the higher capacity of the two. I want from a 45 to a 9 because I could actually afford to practice more. I am very happy with my choice and feel much more confident now.

Go with what ever you feel most confident with. :dance: :dance:

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right now, I'm leaning towards the SIG 226. I'm sure that'll change soon enough :goof:

I may just stick with what I've been doing recently... choose by my mood/the specific situation.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I carry a Springfield armory micro compact .45 kind of the same but different. Ill take a .45 any day.

Another thing you have to look at is reliability.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have you given a different pistols any thought? I own or have owed both 1911's and the 226. Yet one of my all time fav's is my trusty CZ-75. It can be carried cocked and locked (condition one) or hammer down for DA.

As a matter of fact, I like it so well that I just gunbrokered a CZ RAMI 2075(the 3" barrel sub-compact model) It also gives you the option of using a short 10 round mag for concealment or a 14 round mag for an extended grip.

Just a thought

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
I have carried the .45, and both Sigs, then I tried the Springfield XD40 sub compact.....It is with me 24/7.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Kenelm52 said:
I've been (over?) analyzing this the entire day today.

I own and/or have fired every single quality production handgun out there. My two favorite handguns are (quality) 1911's and the SIG P22X series. This is where I'm stuck...

For carry, I'm torn between two of my favorite handguns, one is a full size 1911 (Wilson Combat CQB) in 45 ACP, and the other a SIG P226 in 9mm (my 2nd 226, bought new this year). Both guns have thousands of rounds through them and have been 100% reliable. So, reliability isn't a concern here, only features and personal preference.

SIG P226...
Grip: feels great in my hand, not perfect, but great.
DA/SA Trigger: would MUCH rather prefer an SAO or DAK SIG, but can't due to state law.
Lack of Manual Safety/IS: No real complaints.
Mag Cap: 10 + 1 or 15/17 + 1. Even though I live in a ban state, pre-ban mags are still "easy" to find if you look hard enough.
Quality Mags: Expensive either way.
Accuracy: I am very accurate with the P226 in SA mode.

WC CQB 1911...
Grip: feels perfect in my hand, "like a glove". That said, I'm not too fond of the grip safety, though it's not a big deal.
SA Trigger: Love it, period.
Manual Thumb Safety: I don't have a problem with it.
Mag Cap: 7 or 8 + 1... ehh, more is good.
Quality Mags: Inexpensive when compared to the price of SIG P22X mags.
Accuracy: I am very accurate with a full size 1911.

As you can see, it's give and take. It comes down to first shot accuracy and mag capacity - both of which can make the difference in a defensive situation.

What would YOU pick and why?!
I would pick the P226. I like the fact there is no manual safety. Less to fiddle with. Basically, the SIG is as safe as a double action revolver and just as quick to bring into action. It uses a firing pin safety, which is not released until the trigger is pulled to the rear. Practice your double action first shot, and you will have a gun that is as safe to carry with the chamber loaded, and as quick to bring into action as anything on the market.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've had almost the exact same dilemma several times, and changed my mind more than once. Currently it's SIG P220 carry version, though I like the slimmer profile of my Springer Champion. I used to carry the SIG 239, and have also experimented a bit with carrying the G19. For me, the DA of the SIG is a plus for the extra "safety factor" - but not everyone feels that way. There's no doubt in my mind that the 1911 profile is a bit more comfortable due to its slimness though.

Part of this depends on your physiology and how you plan to carry. If you're a really big guy you can probably get away with concealing a bigger pistol comfortably.

I'd suggest getting a good quality IWB (or whatever style you choose) holster for both guns and trying each for a while. Sell the holster you don't end up using; the small monetary loss will be worth it.

Also, +1 to whomever mentioned taking more training as a way to know what works best for you. You may decide that one gun is a little more comfortable, but you shoot better with the other. You mentioned capacity as one factor. I'd argue that shot placement trumps capacity just about every time, so you should carry what you shoot best. More training helps in that department too.

One other related thought - look into the Safepacker holster. It's a great alternative to carrying the weapon directly on your person, and enables you to carry a larger gun than you could comfortably conceal in your waistband.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts