AK Rifles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering..what makes builds by Ted Marshall any better than a build by anyone else? Again, I'm really not bashing, but I just don't understand how I would've been better off paying $200+ more than what I paid for mine and waiting months to a year longer than I waited. I payed $265 for Jesse at 762LLC to demil, build, and completely refinish my AKS74U clone exactly how I told him to. The build took about 3 or 4 weeks from me sending it out to him sending it back. I also needed it back by a certain date and he met that deadline, and even sent it via faster shipping to ensure it got here in time. I understand that Marshall Arms may do the engraving and everything as well, but I still paid way less sending that to someone else before having the rifle built than I would have had to pay for Marshall Arms to do it. Even PoHF.

So I guess the point of my thread is this: How exactly is the same build worth hundreds of dollars more, months/years of more waiting when you can get the same exact quality, sometimes even better, for so much cheaper and less wait?

In case ya haven't seen it, here's my AKS74U straight out of the box. (It's awesome to have a gun sent directly to you. I love NFAs :cool: )

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
First off your rifle looks great..There are many things that factor in when you talk about these well named builders...For one thing these guys are known professionals...Like when you take a car to be fixed to at a big dealership compaired to a hole in the wall mechanic..Your going to pay for that experiance...Now these builders have big buildings that have rent to be paid,electric. so on and so forth..That all gets factored in..
Dave

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
IBTL

Blanco_Diablo said:
you can get the same exact quality, sometimes even better, for so much cheaper and less wait?
"Sometimes even better..."

So I'm guessing you have 2 or 3 Marshall Arms builds laying around to first hand compare with your other builds to base that statement on?

....I'm not bashing, just asking mind you.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SturmGrenadier said:
IBTL

Blanco_Diablo said:
you can get the same exact quality, sometimes even better, for so much cheaper and less wait?

So I'm guessing you have 2 or 3 Marshall Arms builds laying around to first hand compare with your other builds to base that statement on?

No I don't. I've seen plenty, though, and I see no difference between those and mine. I'm not saying mine is better than anyone elses, I'm not saying anyone elses is better than mine. I've just never gotten the whole paying more money thing. I guess it is the thing about paying for the experience and the fact that they're well known professionals.

G

·
0 Posts
I'm glad someone started a post like this. I have my AKS-74U kit from Copes that needs to be built, and I am on the verge of choosing a builder.

Does having a kit built by someone like Ted Marshall or Mario from PoHF add to the overall value of any kind of firearm? I hope this doesn't sound like a ridiculous question, but with a lot of things in life, you pay for not only the product, but a little more for a certified, quality, respected builder. Does this kind of thing apply here?

·
Registered
519 Posts
That is truly an outstanding weapon you have there. I have a rifle built by Arizona Response, I weighed all the pros and cons and looked at the "gun shop" AK's available and the average going price, heard about this shop and sent an email, received a prompt and informative response, along with many questions I had answered. When I received the rifle, first examination proved a fine build with attention to small details, exactly the type of furniture I ordered, a finish that holds up 10 times better than the high priced "squid ink" on my SLR107F, and a trigger as SAOS. I think I truly got what I paid for in relationship to other options as I'm sure you did with your ultimate rifle. As with all "custom" work, there are many unsung heroes out there doing fantastic work for nearly half the price of the experts. One thing I do understand is that many of the big time builders have probably invested a good deal of money into equipment and are passing that expense onto the purchaser. I couldn't be happier than I am with my ARS rifle, the accuracy is not far behind the Arsenal rifle, but then the Arsenal rifle can't compete with my Norinco Match. Its in the trigger...I think thats where he got me.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
there is detail, then there is detail

·
Registered
446 Posts
nice! :grin:
to your question its like buying a jaguar you are paying for the name.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Blanco_Diablo said:
SturmGrenadier said:
IBTL

[quote="Blanco_Diablo":3f0h5koa] you can get the same exact quality, sometimes even better, for so much cheaper and less wait?

No I don't. I've seen plenty, though, and I see no difference between those and mine. I'm not saying mine is better than anyone elses, I'm not saying anyone elses is better than mine. I've just never gotten the whole paying more money thing. I guess it is the thing about paying for the experience and the fact that they're well known professionals.[/quote:3f0h5koa]

You have seen them where? Internet, pictures, or handled them in person. Did you get to field strip them to see the internal riveting? I'm just curious what basing your statements from. Sometimes you pay for reputation, warranty, extra detail. A lifetime warranty from a new builder that may be in business six months doesn't mean much. One that has been in business for 10 years could be a better choice. I don't know Jesse or his build quality so I'm not saying anything negative about him. I won't comment on the quality of his builds just by your pics either. Are you getting a discount from him for posting your pics and his name all over the board? It just seems like you like to show that off an awful lot.

·
Registered
163 Posts
[quote="StreetTrends]
You have seen them where? Internet, pictures, or handled them in person. Did you get to field strip them to see the internal riveting? I'm just curious what basing your statements from. Sometimes you pay for reputation, warranty, extra detail. A lifetime warranty from a new builder that may be in business six months doesn't mean much. One that has been in business for 10 years could be a better choice. I don't know Jesse or his build quality so I'm not saying anything negative about him. I won't comment on the quality of his builds just by your pics either. Are you getting a discount from him for posting your pics and his name all over the board? It just seems like you like to show that off an awful lot.[/quote]

Ouch :shock:

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
That was a completly legitimate question Blanco. I guess you got
the general idea, that some builders have a following that is most
times deserved, and sometimes gained by other means. The ones you mentioned all seem to build great rifles, and have a lot of experiance.
Over time, and with repeated business they decide what the market will bear, and adjust accordingly. There is a factor of overhead involed as well, of course.

I have done business with the builder you mentioned, as he is a member here. I doubt your getting a discount of any kind, and dont recall you showing this off any more than others do.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
What I said wasn't intended to snub blanco. It just seems like he's started a new thread about his krink alot. From the time he got the kit, when it got engraved, process of being built, when he got it back, the first time he shot it, when he got a new grip. That and the pics and vids are in almost any thread that contains krink in it. Just search Blanco_Diablo and krink. Again this isn't to bash blanco. My main question was has he handled Ted's guns?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
StreetTrends said:
What I said wasn't intended to snub blanco. It just seems like he's started a new thread about his krink alot. From the time he got the kit, when it got engraved, process of being built, when he got it back, the first time he shot it, when he got a new grip. That and the pics and vids are in almost any thread that contains krink in it. Just search Blanco_Diablo and krink. Again this isn't to bash blanco. My main question was has he handled Ted's guns?
It is his only AK, and a SBR. I don't see how that is advertising for a builder when he almost never mentions who built it with his pictures and since he doesn't make a note of it (I.E. with a watermark) on his pictures.

Hell, until this thread, I had no clue who built it.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
not to shaby for just the one :grin:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
First off, that is one beautiful AK! To me, a build done right is a build done right regardless of who did it or the price. I chose Overland Industries to build my rifle because of great feedback on the web, resonable price, and fairly quick turnaround time. I think in my case it was about 5 weeks. Am I satisfied with the product? Yes I am. Would I chose them again? Yes I would. In fact I already have. I am not saying anything bad about anyone, but I feel that I got maximum bang for my bucks. What more can I say? I ended up with a beautiful build with all the attention to detail that one could ask for.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
One of the biggest things you find with certain builders is consistency. Many of the builders are great out of the gate but get busy, backed up, and make mistakes.

That being said, My best builds are by a local gunsmith you've never heard of. I have a few from very well known and respected builders that have had issues. All of them were resolved.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
It's responses like this that make me wonder.

Blanco_Diablo said:
BigAL said:
[quote="Blanco_Diablo":1de61on0]www.762llc.com. Jesse will build your Krink exactly how you want it. He charged $245 to build, which includes full refinish and return shipping. He built my AKS74U and it was PERFECT when I got it back. I plan on sending him all my future builds.
That's a helluva price..
Best one I've ever seen. And trust me, this build is just as good IF NOT BETTER than these idiots that charge $300, $400, $500 for freaking 2 hours worth of work. Jesse's a real great guy to work with, too.

In case ya havent seen it:

[/quote:1de61on0]

I just don't see the relavence in calling builders idiots because they charge $55-$255 more then Jesse does. Like i said I'm not bashing anyone, I just find it odd about some of the comments, posts that he starts. Also I was wondering his reasoning behind some of the posts and comments.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I basically have no interest in having any AK "smith" or "builder" work on anything of mine ever again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.