AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...would you take a NIB Arsenal milled AK or a stamped pre-ban Polytech? For argument's sake let's say they're the same price. By the way, the Poly is NIB as well. I've personally never owned, or even shot a milled AK, though I sure would like to. The Chinese AK just seem's so iconic, I'd have to go for that. For the record, I do own a Norinco MAK90 I bought in the mid 90's.

·
Super Moderator
26,343 Posts
Polytech

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
If those were going to be the only choices of AK that would ever be available, it would have to be the Arsenal despite the unnecessary extra weight of the milled receiver.

·
Super Moderator
6,313 Posts
poly, the standard that others are graded by!

·
Registered
22,625 Posts
Depends. Pre-ban or not? Anything fancy about the poly like double underfolder, spiker, or side folding bake stock?

I had a milled AK and sold it.. it was smooth and all but really any well running AK is smooth. Just didn't do anything for me.

Value-wise i'd say polytech all day. Unless they start flooding into the country which will not happen.. a factory chinese AK is something that will only go up in value.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
What is the purpose of the purchase? To collect or to shoot?

If the former, the PolyTech, if the latter, the Arsenal.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't have a milled yet.

Then again, I don't have a Chinese rifle either...

I'd probably go with the pre-ban Polytech. I can find a milled rifle later if I wanted one that bad.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a milled reweld yugo and it is a great rifle. If you are wanting to buy a rifle for a shooter and change things get the milled rifle. If you are wanting to add to a collection and not shoot it get the polytech. It would be a crime to buy a NIB poly and take it out shooting there are plenty of used polys and norincos out there for that.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Another for the PolyTech. I had 4, still have the DU spiker and a great looking Poly Legend shooter. Looks shot but the bluing and stock look very nicely aged and no dents or scrapes or cracks on the furniture. Its nice to be able to shoot a legend. Sold my NIB Legend UF a while back for 2500.00.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What did the Chinese AK's sell for when they were first imported? If I recall correctly, I paid paid 279.00 for my MAK90 in the mid-90's, To much I'm sure. I didn't have the interwebz back then. As an aside, I bought a nice Russian SKS at the same shop for 179.00.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Another vote for the pre ban Chinese. Reason being that it is pre-ban and never to be imported again. The Arsenal is nice, but there should be enough of them floating around for you to obtain at a reasonable price. The Poly will go up in both collector and monetary value. You said it is NIB, do you plan to shoot it? Personally, I like the collector aspect but I like to shoot my guns as well. That is why I would never buy something NIB. I own pre ban Chinese rifles that I do use but not abuse.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would shoot either one. It's like owning a restore'ed car and not driving it. I don't need an expensive garage ornament or wall hanger.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts