AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had another chance to shoot a S&W M&P (9) today... wow, what a great handgun! The only problem (for me), is all the plastic. I will not own a plastic framed gun or a gun with plastic internals. It's just something I will not do, some people like plastic framed pistols and rifles, and I respect that. Plastics HAVE proven themselves - still, I'm just a bit old school in my preferences.

ANYWAY, I just e-mailed S&W to see if they would consider adding an all steel or steel/aluminum version of their M&P pistols to the existing line up. Long shot, they probably won't, but I figured I'd ask... you never know.

If you hate plastic as much as me and like the M&P series of pistols (I know there's a lot of you out there!), e-mail them, let's see if we can make something happen.

Their e-mail: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
When the Glock first came out, me and another Guy tried to wear one out. 15,000 rounds in two Months just polished the steel rails, no noticable wear.

The only time I saw a problem with a Glock was a rope burn while rappelling. The rope burned through the pistol grip but the gun still functioned fine.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My real concern is... long term life. Say 100 years when I'm long gone. I really enjoy shooting my great great grandfathers firearms when I go to my uncles place. I just don't know if a plastic frame or plastic parts, even if the firearm is well taken care of, would be safe to shoot after that long? Even with the M&P frame being re-inforced with steel mesh... my concern is the trigger, mag release, etc. am I over analyzing this?

My father had an early G17, he accidently melted part of the grip near the trigger guard somehow (I don't remember exactly how), not through, but melted.

I've seen some cracked frames with Glocks, but I've also seen that with steel and aluminum framed pistols as well. Really, it seems to be a rare occurrence either way.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
You're overanalyzing it, I used to be the same way about alloy framed pistols :lol:

Looking back, that was damn silly, because of my little hang up I made myself carry around alot of extra weight.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I respect your preference for a traditional steel sidearm. All my 1911's are either steel or aluminum alloy framed. I have several Glocks and both a 9mm and 45acp S&W M&P. I carry the 45M&P daily so I have full confidence it will perform should the need arise. Good luck with the email to S&W. I signed a online petition to try and get them to make a 10mm M&P. :smile:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I'm still debating a CZ-75 or the M&P for my first handgun purchase. I'm really not turned away by "plastic" guns because they've been around for quite a while now. I just can't justify buying an $800 hand gun like a 1911 but that's probably because the hand gun bug never bit me.

But, I'll say if S&W said they were making a metal M&P it might sway me more towards it even if I had to wait a while.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I have many handguns and the CZ-75 is still my favorite one!!!

This is and will be number one choice! Buy the P-01 with decocker and rail.

heimdal said:
I'm still debating a CZ-75 or the M&P for my first handgun purchase. I'm really not turned away by "plastic" guns because they've been around for quite a while now. I just can't justify buying an $800 hand gun like a 1911 but that's probably because the hand gun bug never bit me.

But, I'll say if S&W said they were making a metal M&P it might sway me more towards it even if I had to wait a while.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
People shoot a whole lot more now than they ever have.

I doubt that your great grandad's guns would have lasted as long as they have if people had been shooting/training/competing with them the way people in our community have since the 80's.

Parts and guns wear out, fact of life.

I'd expect to have to replace strikers/firing pins, barrels, and slides, along with recoil springs of course.

ToddG, who used to work for Beretta and SIG, is currently involved in a 50,000 round torture test on a S&W M&P 9mm.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
They make a cast metal frame for the Glock ya know.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Plastic guns

I traded my Glock 22 for a NIB SLR-95 last year. Another Glock for me hands down. I miss it, just too good of a deal to turn down.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I tried a few Glocks and was never really impressed with them except when I looked at them in the "gun is a tool" manner.
I also never felt real comfortable with the whole plastic gun idea, I know there were other companys beginning to go into that arena and tried out a Springfield XD-45, liked it very much, liked it enough to buy one...I would be very comfortable using one as a duty pistol or military use.
I have always had a fascination with anything HK and bought a little P2000SK a couple years ago, love it...best shooting 9mm I've ever owned. I also own a USP .40 and .45 and am constantly amazed at the quality of build and "feel in hand"...these are heavy, multi-capacity handguns of polymer construction, excellent accuracy potential, low felt recoil for either caliber.
Just my piece for polymer pistols...I still love my little .380 Colt Mustang in stainless for CWC. If I felt the need for more firepower I would carry the P2000SK.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
just out of curiosity, are glocks dishwasher safe?

i'm guessing yes :grin:

as a collectible i'd take a steel pistol. as a carry gun to use and abuse, go plastic. :cool:

·
Registered
902 Posts
skyugo said:
just out of curiosity, are glocks dishwasher safe?

i'm guessing yes :grin:

as a collectible i'd take a steel pistol. as a carry gun to use and abuse, go plastic. :cool:

That would be EPIC if they were, i mean seriously, put some hoppes i the dishwaser part and let her spin!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Technically, yes, they're dishwasher safe. There are only a couple of parts that would rust if left wet. Off the top of my head I'm thinking the extractor and spring, barrel, and pins. Here's my thoughts on it:

WHY would you want something as nasty as a pistol (lead, oil, carbon) in where your food dishes will be?
Takes me literally less than five minutes to field strip and clean the pistol properly. Why soak it in water and hope you get the proper spots oiled?
Dishwashing won't get into the barrel very well, if at all, so you'll still have to run a borebrush through it.

I am not a Glock fan, but I own one and plan to buy a 21SF, and recognize that they're great guns.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I've carried my beloved Springfield Armory Champion since 2000, a few Months ago I picked up a Glock 19 to keep in the house while I'm away. Out of convienence one evening, I carried the Glock instead of my 1911 and immediately noticed the weight difference. I've been carrying the Glock everywhere since then.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tend to over analyze things when it comes to spending money...

I've shot USP's, Glock's, and other plastic framed guns, none "did it for me"... except for the M&P. The gip feels perfect in my hand and I am quite accurate with them.

I've wanted an M&P ever since I first handled one when they were originally released, then after I fired one, I REALLY wanted one. Plus, I've been wanting to add something "different" to the collection for a while now...

I just needed a little convincing I guess... I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge and buy my first plastic gun. Next on the list is a Seecamp LWS32, but after that (or at the same time? :mrgreen:), I'll be getting an M&P9.

I can kinda see where all this is leading... AUG, SCAR (when they are released), etc... :goof:

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Kenelm52 said:
I tend to over analyze things when it comes to spending money...

I've shot USP's, Glock's, and other plastic framed guns, none "did it for me"... except for the M&P. The gip feels perfect in my hand and I am quite accurate with them.

I've wanted an M&P ever since I first handled one when they were originally released, then after I fired one, I REALLY wanted one. Plus, I've been wanting to add something "different" to the collection for a while now...

I just needed a little convincing I guess... I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge and buy my first plastic gun. Next on the list is a Seecamp LWS32, but after that (or at the same time? :mrgreen:), I'll be getting an M&P9.

I can kinda see where all this is leading... AUG, SCAR (when they are released), etc... :goof:

I like the M&P 9mm, but I REALLY like the .45 ACP M&P's. So much so that I bought a second one.

Rule of Two!

One is none, two is one. IF one goes down, you have another one just like it to pick up and keep going. I also have two SIG P226's for the same reason.

Get the M&P, and since you're in a ban state, I'd seriously look at the .45 ACP with 10 rd. mags as standard.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts