AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It still amazes me after 30 years of messing with firearms that I've never gotten around to buying an AK47. Don't get me wrong, I've always intended to get one, it just seems like everytime I decide to pull the trigger, someone offers me a stupid deal on something else and I end up passing on it. Now that I've finally gotten to the point where I feel I have a NEED for one(LOL) I need to start figuring out which one of the many models to get. If price wasn't the most important factor, which model would you guys go for? Valmet? Polytech? I plan on shooting it as much as possible, so a safe queen isn't going to cut it......

· Registered
23,513 Posts
That's one of those impossible, personal questions.

I've got an AMP-69 which is one of the most retardedly rare AK's in this country.... I've also got a custom 308 bullpup who's capacity for kickass is unmatched...there is simply no other firearm in existence that can match it...

it all depends on what you want in an AK variant. Do you want "pre-ban" imports... Mitchell, Polytech, Norinco?

Do you want modern? Red Jacket 103 or Mario at POHF...

If you want a rifle for OMFG ZOMBIE END OF THE WORLD... then I would equip a very sturdy 7.62 AK rifle with a red dot (kobra), a long distance scope, and a good flashlight with pressure switch.

valmet you'd be hard pressed to find replacement parts for...let alone parts for it or someone who could work on one.

· Registered
3,540 Posts
Well, a Polytech Legend would be the ultimate AK for me. You could probably find one that is not a safe queen that you wouldn't mind shooting a lot.

I think a factory built pre-89 is the best choice if price is not too much of a worry and you only want one AK

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
10Gauge said:

I've got an AMP-69 which is one of the most retardedly rare AK's in this country.... I've also got a custom 308 bullpup who's capacity for kickass is unmatched...there is simply no other firearm in existence that can match it...

it all depends on what you want in an AK variant. Do you want "pre-ban" imports... Mitchell, Polytech, Norinco?

If you want a rifle for OMFG ZOMBIE END OF THE WORLD... then I would equip a very sturdy 7.62 AK rifle with a red dot (kobra), a long distance scope, and a good flashlight with pressure switch.

valmet you'd be hard pressed to find replacement parts for...let alone parts for it or someone who could work on one.

Are Valmets really hard to work on? Being Finnish, that was actually the one I was leaning towards. I'm not wanting to trick one out, I just want the best representation of an AK, so to speak. The main goal is to have a fun shooter that is accurate out of the box and LOOKS like an AK is supposed to, none of those thumbhole stocks, or any other alteration that was required during the ban.

· Registered
3,255 Posts
I have a Norinco sidefolder, an M92 SBR and a Polish underfolder. I also still have my first ever rifle and it is my Norinco underfolder. I bought it new and it has served me well with well over 10K rounds and zero malfunctions. 10Guage is right. It's an impossible personal preference question. Some guys HATE underfolders....for me, the choice would be simple. I would choose my Norinco. It's a factory built rifle, worn in just the way I like it and it has many many good memories attached to it. Simply the BEST $313.95 I ever spent! Buy a good one...a well built one...one you don't mind scratching and dinking because they're SOOOO much more enjoyable when you don't mind using them and you don't worry about every little mark you put on it. I also recommend one with an original barrel, not a new made one. That's my advise and I'm sticking to it!

· Registered
1,907 Posts
Ammo prices being what they are, I would recommend a 74 to someone that is entering the market now. A nice starter package would include an SGL-31, a couple $120 crates of 7n6, and some $10 74 mags from TGI (you'll have to search their forum section for the coupon code) and maybe some steel Tantal mags from Apex. This isn't the cheapest route, but I think it's a fair price for a Cadillac of a rifle-ammo combination. I think it's one of the best deals in the gun world right now, let alone just the AK market.

If you've gotta go 7.62, which is a great caliber, but doesn't have the same market cheap readily available steel core ammo, then get an SGL-21 (sorry I'm not creative), and stack up tins of Yugo M67 and pick up some $9 steel mags from AIM and $25 Valmet mags from TGI. The gun is cheaper at first, but the ammo is much more expensive, and the mags are too if you are like me and prefer the lighter Valmet and Circle 10 poly mags.

Considering authenticity, quality, price and availability, those would be my 2 top choices.

· Registered
23,513 Posts
Laplander said:
10Gauge said:

Are Valmets really hard to work on? Being Finnish, that was actually the one I was leaning towards. I'm not wanting to trick one out, I just want the best representation of an AK, so to speak. The main goal is to have a fun shooter that is accurate out of the box and LOOKS like an AK is supposed to, none of those thumbhole stocks, or any other alteration that was required during the ban.
They're very hard to come by these days. If you have the coin to spend on one... it might be your dream rifle. That being said...you're going to pay fantastic prices to keep it in operation after SHTF... parts are hard to come by as I understand it.

The ban is no more... so you don't have to worry about bullshit like thumbhole stocks unless you're restoring a rifle like a Mak-90 or a Daewoo that was imported during the ban.

If i was going for an OH SHIT rifle that will last me forever... I'd pick an AK 103 made by Will at Red Jacket or Mario at POHF.. both of these guys would scour the ends of the earth for what you'd want your rifle to be..

· Registered
1,773 Posts
Since you've never owned one, go w/the "real McCoy" and buy a Russian SGL-20/21. A "real" Russian AK made by the plant that has always made the AK for the Russian military - right now they're pretty affordable... Shoot the shit out of it, decide whether or not you like the platform, and if you do - go the "afficianado" route and buy the Valmet later (being of Finn decent, that would kick ass). Valmets are GREAT, but +1000 on the parts availabilty issues - my friend had his firing pin break and didn't shoot his for several years (when he finally found a replacement).

Get the SGL...

· Registered
2,175 Posts
Any AK that has a side folding stock and ends in 74!! :grin: I agree with above though, and everyone has different tastes!! I can't stand yugo anything, and those funky polish 74 things (Tantal?). Would only take one if they were free! :twisted: :goof:

· Registered
3,582 Posts
+1x100 on the SGL21 ,its the real thing, like a Harley made by Harley... :hail:

· Registered
1,318 Posts
find and have built a russian Ak47 type I...

or type II
III
akm
74, 74s

or the tula krinks now available....

thats if you could only have ONE...

try and hunt down all of the above and you'll have all kinds of fun... :grin:

· Registered
1,809 Posts
As others have said, Valmet is a great choice but expensive and not a true AK--really an AK variant, so replacement parts are scarce. A great collector's item and shooter due to its longer sight radius... but probably not the best place to start.

Steer away from anything Century-made unless you are looking to do it as cheap as possible. They tend to have QC problems and you don't want your first AK to have to be sent back. Most of their guns are OK, some are complete lemons.

Anything from Arsenal is usually a decent buy, their SGLs are based on an imported Russian Saiga sporter and usually quite nice. This would be my first choice for a shooter, followed by a pre-ban Chinese. There are so many flavors, it would be hard to choose just one.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nexus/mk.7 said:
Ammo prices being what they are, I would recommend a 74 to someone that is entering the market now. A nice starter package would include an SGL-31, a couple $120 crates of 7n6, and some $10 74 mags from TGI (you'll have to search their forum section for the coupon code) and maybe some steel Tantal mags from Apex. This isn't the cheapest route, but I think it's a fair price for a Cadillac of a rifle-ammo combination. I think it's one of the best deals in the gun world right now, let alone just the AK market.

If you've gotta go 7.62, which is a great caliber, but doesn't have the same market cheap readily available steel core ammo, then get an SGL-21 (sorry I'm not creative), and stack up tins of Yugo M67 and pick up some $9 steel mags from AIM and $25 Valmet mags from TGI. The gun is cheaper at first, but the ammo is much more expensive, and the mags are too if you are like me and prefer the lighter Valmet and Circle 10 poly mags.

Considering authenticity, quality, price and availability, those would be my 2 top choices.

I've looked at a couple of those SGL20/21s on gunbroker, but can't get into the polymer stock set up. I know I could change it, but I really want one that came with wood.

Is there really that much difference between a milled receiver and a stamped one? I've also looked at the 74s, but really want the 7.62 caliber. I don't plan on owning more that one AK, just because of storage space, so I want to make this purchase count.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.