·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Pics are up. All I can tell you that its bloody marvelous! :grin:

Everything matches!!! No numbers on the rear sight block or safety. :dance:

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Ok, stop it! You guys are starting to suck me into another kit!

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
ClayC said:
Ok, stop it! You guys are starting to suck me into another kit!
:twisted:

Pics are not great, much better in person. Blue is very nice. Wood has some kind of clear coat on it and that might be coming off depending what the story is on it. Grip is a really dark resin type.

Wood is very similar to romanian hardwood.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
man..... that would look really sweet with one of the polish shells I have sitting around. :smile:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
ClayC said:
man..... that would look really sweet with one of the polish shells I have sitting around. :smile:
Sounds like you have no choice but to buy a kit, it is your destiny.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
14mbr3tt4 – what year is stamped on your trunnion – 1966?

I was surprised to see the natural finish bolt and carrier. Seems when the Poles began AKM production they continued with the same style finish as the milled rifles.

Even in the field there seems to be a mix of wood type and finishes.

Pile of euro deacts.

Reactions: Brksanman

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My first kit is on the Fed Ex truck "out for delivery"

I opted for the hand select kit from AOA with most of the finish still on the metal parts. I might end up getting another BFPU kit if I can find one with a 1964 dated trunnion and all matching parts.

PM me if you end up with one for sale.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
any reason you want one year as opposed to another? whats the relevance of the year? Anything? Is one year better than another? have the 60's rifles seen action or something?

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Some people want a rifle made the year they were born. For some older guys it is slim pickins unless you play the milled game.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
MPiKM-72 said:
Some people want a rifle made the year they were born. For some older guys it is slim pickins unless you play the milled game.
gotcha. I do that too when I see a krink in 83'. thanks

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MPiKM-72 said:

You nailed it.....I was born in 1964 so I would like to have a Polish 1964 AKM. I have a Romanian 1964 dressed up to look like a Polish rifle (top rifle in pic).
Now I have the chance to pick up the real thing. :grin:

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of a birth year rifle for a little while now but I usually dont see many 1971 trunnions.
I thought all these polish akm kits were 60's but now that I see AZGreg's I might have to call.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Khem said:
I've been toying with the idea of a birth year rifle for a little while now but I usually dont see many 1971 trunnions.
I thought all these polish akm kits were 60's but now that I see AZGreg's I might have to call.
I have seen two; a non-G Romy that I almost have finished, and a Romy MD-65 that I sold to a buddy.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
MPiKM-72 said:
14mbr3tt4 – what year is stamped on your trunnion – 1966?

I was surprised to see the natural finish bolt and carrier. Seems when the Poles began AKM production they continued with the same style finish as the milled rifles.

Yes it is 1966. 4,116 away from this deact.

Wood on mine looks Romanian though as well as the grip, but its too soon to know for sure.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I can't help but wonder if early Polish grips had inverted checkering like this Polish deact. I agree the wood looks like worn early Romanian - probably made from similar wood species laminate. They get that reddish tone going between the layers.

All my hand on experience is with the 1980's and later underfolders.

FWIW - Here is a older worn Romanian stock with older worn Polish handguards. They match pretty well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Anyone wanting a kit with a specific year should call APEX.

I called this morning and asked if they could get me a 1966 kit with a laminated buttstock.

The gentleman I spoke with told me that at that time they had only gone through about 40 kits. If I were willing to wait a few days, he would get one in that configuration if they found one.

About 3 hours later he called back to tell me that a laminated stock 1966 was going out to me on Monday.

Great service!

I now have a worthy home for my last virgin Romanian barrel and Polish receiver blank!

1 - 20 of 168 Posts