AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PG-AKMS-1.jpg
800px-PG-AKMS-2.jpg

This one has always bothered me. The movie is Patriot Games and being that it came out in the early 90's and some of it was shot in Europe I would think if they wanted a Russian AKMS they would be able to get one pretty easy for filming?

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I can tell you it's NOT

Albanian-same general look as Chinese
Bulgarian because they didn't make a true AKMS
Chinese-FSB, GB, front trunnion rivet pattern & dished where the bbl pin goes, ribbed top cover
East German-I believe they produced 2 types of side folding stocks but not underfolders
Egyptian-never made an AKMS either
North Korean-gas block
Yugoslavian-FSB, GB, and lack of a bulged trunnion and retainer spring lock

Unlikely Hungarian based on the furniture having a palm swell and no I grip but that could've been changed. If you can get a still shot from the charging handle side with the bolt closed you could prove or rule it out depending on the carrier having the lightening cut or not. Also the gas tube lock would be stamped vs milled.

Might be Polish or Russian

·
Registered
358 Posts
As has been said, Polish or Russian. Leaning towards Polish as the wood doesnt look like Russian lacquered. The scenes of them training in the desert might have better light. In the book they were "Kalashnikovs with folding stocks from the factory in Kazan with pre charged plastic magazines" Or something to that effect

1 - 6 of 6 Posts