AK Rifles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into my local gunstore where I have done a lot of bussiness as well as a FFL transer or two. The are three sales men one of which ownes the store, I have Bull shited with all many times before. I went in there today because I had a few hundred bucks to spend out of my tax return and they always have Ak's on the walls but never payed any mind to them.

So I asked the sales men if the two Ak's on the walls where wasr's.
He said he had no idea.
I said could I see one I'll tell you, it says it on the side of the reciever.
He asked am I 18.
I said 19.
He said you have to be 21 to touch them.
I said its 18 years of age to purchase a long gun in the state of Florida.
He said 21 state law.

Then a look came. So I said its your shop I wont agure with you and I started to walk out. Then he said yeah, now get out.

Im so pissed what would you do.

Im gonna go back in with the Florida state Gun Laws in black and white and tell them I will never do bussines with them again.

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
Guy has an attitude.

Find another gunstore. I would not give him the sweat off my balls.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
wrish22687 said:
Im gonna go back in with the Florida state Gun Laws in black and white and tell them I will never do bussines with them again.
That's probably what I would do. I hate it when people do stuff like this. Make no mistake, it's prejudice plain and simple.

For instance, I was over the state line in Indiana not too long ago and was looking at many things, ARs and AKs among them (primarily pistols though, as I was looking for a 1911 specifically) and my friend was handling every 50 year old mil surp in the store. Shortly there after two black gentlemen came in and were looking around and then asked to see an AK. At this point I had probably 5 different 1911s on the counter that I was comparing and the salesman had pretty much walked off, leaving me with several guns in front of me. The other salesman, dealing with the other shoppers, began to grill them about their use for an AK, asking why they'd ever want one... were they going to go hunting with it, etc., etc. and it was a good 5 minutes before he even reached to unlock the case it was in, when not 5 minutes before he had pulled the same gun out to show me and ran down the history of it and showed me some interesting details, as if I was a long lost buddy. Once I saw that, I motioned for the other salesman to come over, I had him put up all the pistols, including the one I had pretty much decided to buy, got my buddies attention and we walked out... I haven't been back and have no intentions to.

People, what can ya do?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
No offense but what state line? Look it's easy to get sucked into the whole politically correct mentality. This guy was thinking of his shop, his income, and what if these two "black gentlemen" were buying for reasons other than legit. See I live around Cincinnati, must gun shops are like that because we have an extremely high amount of homicides and shootings in the predominently black neighborhoods and the gun shop owners don't want to contribute to it so they ask questions. I am not racist, I believe every up standing American should be able to buy a firearm, however it is just that, the numbers speak for themselves, and this gun store owner maybe felt uncomfortable. Sometimes people give you a bad feeling and it isn't the color of their skin- chances this gun shop owner might have been a veteran, might even be former law enforcement, or at least has been in the business long enough to spot an illiget sale or a potential sale that could be used harmfully. My gunshop owner always asked questions and that if he gets a bad feeling he points to a sign- "We have the right to refuse selling to anyone." I was in there one day, watched two young guys come in, they looked the goth types, had tons of tatoos, and were asking to buy a handgun and a shotgun, he asked them some questions like what range were they going to, etc. They seemed really nervous so he refused to sell them the guns, chances are he may have saved someones life. So don't be some idiot blind liberal pacifist that looks at the world with rose colored glasses, the fact is we nearly lost our rights to own firearms because a certain gang element in our society has put a dark shadow on our right to own guns in the minds of other law abiding citizens. The reason, they are afraid, they are tired of watching the news each and every night with three to five homicides a day in their town and they don't know how to stop it. Your gunshop owner may have saved some peoples lives- he may have got a bad feeling from these guys and made the correct decision. If they came back in a week asking about the AK again and maybe made some small talk who knows but the last any of us want is another shooting done broadcasted with use of an AK- it is bad for us all.

Bryant

CaptainSKA said:
wrish22687 said:

That's probably what I would do. I hate it when people do stuff like this. Make no mistake, it's prejudice plain and simple.

For instance, I was over the state line in Indiana not too long ago and was looking at many things, ARs and AKs among them (primarily pistols though, as I was looking for a 1911 specifically) and my friend was handling every 50 year old mil surp in the store. Shortly there after two black gentlemen came in and were looking around and then asked to see an AK. At this point I had probably 5 different 1911s on the counter that I was comparing and the salesman had pretty much walked off, leaving me with several guns in front of me. The other salesman, dealing with the other shoppers, began to grill them about their use for an AK, asking why they'd ever want one... were they going to go hunting with it, etc., etc. and it was a good 5 minutes before he even reached to unlock the case it was in, when not 5 minutes before he had pulled the same gun out to show me and ran down the history of it and showed me some interesting details, as if I was a long lost buddy. Once I saw that, I motioned for the other salesman to come over, I had him put up all the pistols, including the one I had pretty much decided to buy, got my buddies attention and we walked out... I haven't been back and have no intentions to.

People, what can ya do?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Bryant said:
So don't be some idiot blind liberal pacifist that looks at the world with rose colored glasses
Hey, wanna watch the name calling? Especially since you don't know dick about me? Look, what I saw was blatant racism. The guys weren't coming in there looking like gang bangers, it was two nicely dressed guys in their mid-30's... they looked like every other blue collar member of that community and spoke like normal, educated human beings. They were clearly upset with the questioning, but answered all the questions he asked... No, it's not for hunting, just plinking. We normally shoot at LaSalle or Jasper Pulaski park, etc., etc.

I don't look at the world with rose colored glasses, and I understand someone's right to refuse service, but what I saw was racial prejudice, similar to what our 19 year old brother experienced in FL. I had only been in that shop a couple times before and the salesmen/owners didn't recognize me... there was no reason to let me look at whatever I wanted to unsupervised and yet harrass the other shoppers.

Bryant said:
the last any of us want is another shooting done broadcasted with use of an AK- it is bad for us all.
So is blind acceptance of improper and unfounded treatment of fellow citizens. I flew to and from Dallas this past weekend and there were people of middle eastern decent on both flights, as well as the one to and from Roanoke, VA last month and the trip to Austin the month before that... law-abiding citizens that love America as much as the next person (I know, I spoke to several of them as I was sitting next to them), and yet your logic would state that they no longer have the right to air travel... If we're going to make rules based on the history of a few, we caucasians should no longer be in power of the government or major corporations, because we screw those up every day.

Sorry about the OT rant, but people who denigrate to name calling when they know nothing about me really piss me off.

Bryant said:
No offense but what state line?
Not that it matters but I live on the Illinois side of the Illinois/Indiana border. Why, ya happy I don't live in your state? Or you just gonna chock my comments up to being a "liberal" Chicagoan? Cuz I got news for ya, I've only lived there for 5 years and spent most of the rest of my life in "red states".

·
Registered
551 Posts
It's the business' call. They realize if they treat people more cautiously they can in turn lose business (don't think that they haven't thought about that), but on the same token if they sell to anyone even someone who walks in and says yeah I'm gonna go kill someone (probably happened, but just showing an extreme) the business could be under liability, or the owner could just feel like shit afterwards knowing the gun he just sold went straight into a homicide.

I'm guessing it's a stressful business. No matter how much I like firearms I dont' think I could EVER get into the FFL business. That's just my take.

-mark

·
Registered
181 Posts
To me it is painfully obvious that they don't want your business and it won't matter one iota whether or not you bring in a copy of your state's laws. Find another gun shop and be sure to let your friends know about the way you were treated.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Man, you guys have some odd people running the stores in your neck of the woods. At my gun store, they call me by name when I walk in, and even send me a Christmas card every year. --> no joke!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Thats because your gun store does it right, and is run by professionals. It sickens me that there are so many dealers in the coutry that are not business people. At best, most of the are people that got into it as a hobby and have opened a business. If it were not for people like that we would not be in business, let alone have the following here that we do.

In being open a few short months we have already outgrown our 3000 sqft shop and are in the process of buying a piece of alnd to open an indoor range and store on. How can we do that? Because we treat the customers right, we do what we say we will, we dont lie to them, and never bash on their choice of equipment or the compatition here locally (even when they are hobby shops). Customers respond and appreciate it.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I feel you bryant.

As for CaptainSka. I get what you mean I think.

But it seems you were intolerant of the gun owner, and you come off as a liberal type when you can't accept someones God(if you believe in Him)-Given American Right to be concerned, and yes. Even close-minded about anyone. This IS still America. And only recently has it become un-popular, to believe what you will, instead of what the masses tell you to.

Hell. I grew up in Minneapolis, MN. Which most don't know is liberal as hell, and the worst for political correctness pushi-ness.

Don't know what I mean. Type in the words. Hmong. And Vang. See what you come up with. All the political correctness, imho, sometimes causes more friction between free-thinkers, than if sleeping dogs lay. Let it go. Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

I moved to Texas. More my feel.

Sorry. My opin.

God Bless America

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
762hurts said:
I feel you bryant.

As for CaptainSka. I get what you mean I think.

But it seems you were intolerant of the gun owner, and you come off as a liberal type when you can't accept someones God(if you believe in Him)-Given American Right to be concerned, and yes. Even close-minded about anyone. This IS still America. And only recently has it become un-popular, to believe what you will, instead of what the masses tell you to.

Hell. I grew up in Minneapolis, MN. Which most don't know is liberal as hell, and the worst for political correctness pushi-ness.

Don't know what I mean. Type in the words. Hmong. And Vang. See what you come up with. All the political correctness, imho, sometimes causes more friction between free-thinkers, than if sleeping dogs lay. Let it go. Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst.

I moved to Texas. More my feel.

Sorry. My opin.

God Bless America
You guys kill me. I'm intolerant of the Gun owner being intolerant and racist? You're damn right. Somethings are right and some things are wrong. Sure, he can refuse service to everyone... it's his "God (yes I do believe in Him) Given American Right" to refuse service to anyone... but when it is so obviously based on skin color and nothing else, then that is wrong. Label me what you will, if you actually knew me you wouldn't call me liberal or conservative... because I actually do think for myself. Let's face it guys--you can hide behind parties, labels, religions and whatever else, or you can pull your head out of your ass, think for yourself and start to change this world into something that makes sense.

I'm not trying to be "politically correct", I'm trying not to be racists and pre judge people because their black, white, red, yellow, purple, blue, orange or some other color. Can't people see that there's a difference between the two??

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where are you in Fl? THere has to be somewehre else to buy from. I am in the ocala area if you need some one to direct you in the right places

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
The background check or specific and articulable facts should determine whether or not someone is sold a gun. Not their race.

There is an asshat dealer in my home town who either gave me shit or ignored me when I was 18-20something. I've since stopped going in his store altogether (never to return) and he's missed tens of thousands of dollars in gross sales since. F*#K him!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The background check or specific and articulable facts should determine whether or not someone is sold a gun. Not their race.

There is an asshat dealer in my home town who either gave me shit or ignored me when I was 18-20something. I've since stopped going in his store altogether (never to return) and he's missed tens of thousands of dollars in gross sales since. F*#K him!
Thank you very much for your input guys it means alot.
Did I mention these guys at the shop are off duty cops or retired cops so they have of a complex but there usually tolorable.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Hold the [email protected]#$ing phone! "Greentimber" and "CaptainSKA" are right on. I understand that it's "the store owner's call," but this is a blatant example of stereotyping someone based on race.

There are a lot of white people out there I wouldn't sell an air rifle to. However, if their background checks out, they STILL have the RIGHT to buy what they want. Who am I to judge, based on personal feelings or pre-conceived prejudices.

Hell, at least they came to a store to purchase. Most potential criminals avoid dealers and background checks. The perpetrator's mindset is that it's easier to steal a weapon, if they intend to do criminal acts with a gun.

The store owner should just post a sign on his door, "White Only."

What bullshit.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I see both sides, I'm not one of these types that turns a blind eye to simple realities that I see every day. Almost 95% of shootings in my area are by one race of people, I wish it weren't the case but it is a fact. Sorry but I'm tired of losing my rights because of punks in our society and frankly these gang banger types are the worse kind. Sorry but I would ask questions if a white guy in a business suite came into my store asking right away to see an AK47- I would be suspicious, maybe he might go on an office spree or something. It is a societal problem, one where a group of people have music that glorifies the gangsta' lifestyle, get rich or die trying mentality. During the riots they pulled white people from their cars, threw bricks through their windows, and damn near stoned a woman to death, because they were white. So honestly if I were a gunshop owner I would refuse people that acted nervous or right away wanted something that could lay some shit down because the last thing you want to see when you close shop at night is to see that AK47 you just sold on the evening news. Sorry but you can't help but to be racially biased, it wasn't a bunch of white guys that flew those planes into those buildings, just like it isn't a bunch of white guys on the evening news every night bustin' caps into people either. Sad but that is the way it is.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Bryant said:
However the first time I bought from him, he gave me the third degree, asked me what I was going to do with the pistol I bought from him, yes I was angry but then he simply replied that it didn't matter how I was dressed, he does the same for everyone.
Good for him. If he does it with everyone, that's fine. That's the whole point to this crap.

Bryant said:
sorry but if I were on a jet and saw a bunch of middle eastern people on board, yes I would be nervous- it wasn't a bunch of white guys that flew those planes into those buildings so get real!
Get real? Here's real for you... there are millions of peace loving Middle Eastern Muslims in this country and around the world, that would never, ever do the things that happened on 09/11. That's real. Don't prejudge people based on the actions of a few. How would you like every Jewish person in the world to freak out at the sight of you (or not conduct business with you), because of the actions of a few Germans in power 60+ years ago? It's the same thing.

Bryant said:
When you see black gang bangers every night of every day on the news, one shooting after another it sends a message.
Yeah, and when you live your whole life in black communities that are peaceful, or when you work with black people every day who are hard working and honest it sends a message. Dude, the problem ain't their skin color. Poor white people, poor Latinos, poor Asians, and poor Arabs all do the same thing... take what they can, when they can. The problem is a lack of education and a proliferation of poverty. Fix those problems and see what happens to neighborhoods like you grew up in.

Bryant said:
Go hug a tree.
For the last time, I'm not a liberal or a tree hugger (though there is merit in being a good steward of the Earth that God gave us). I just think it's time we started addressing the real problem and giving everyone a fair shake at life.

Again, if you want to question every single person and be suspicious, fine... do exactly that and we have no problem. But to hand a stranger (me) who also had a shaven head and multiple tattoos and earrings showing 5 different hand guns and walk off, and then grill a better dressed (and probably better speaking/better educated) black man about his intentions is wrong. I'll take the 5 minute interrogation if that's what it takes to buy a gun, hell I'd expect it the way I look.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.