AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! Krink, very nice site. Thank you.

I would like to get some help on painting my markings (ie: the "S" for safety, "F", model, even the serial numbers on the trunion) I have seen some ak's with the serial numbers painted white, some even have the meters on the rear site painted.

How do I do this? (very carefully, I know) What is the process? Thank you!

-instante

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Re: I would like help on painting the markings on my recieve

Instante said:
Hello all! Krink, very nice site. Thank you.

I would like to get some help on painting my markings (ie: the "S" for safety, "F", model, even the serial numbers on the trunion) I have seen some ak's with the serial numbers painted white, some even have the meters on the rear site painted.

How do I do this? (very carefully, I know) What is the process? Thank you!

-instante
+1 .... got a few rifles i want to do this to myself

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
It's usually not paint in those pics, but white Crayon or chinese marker. You just grind dow the Crayon/marker into the letters/numbers and wipe the excess buildup with some hot water or alcohol.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I was told by a guy who builds AK's that he uses nail polish and removes the excess with a cotton ball and alcohol when it's still wet. I used a crayon and it lasted until I decided to remove it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
its called grease pencil(stationary stores)...crayon works good also, I did my XD 2 years ago and its still there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hrmm... cant wait until I can go to wally world tomorrow for some crayons.....but my 6 year probably old won't miss some....... :twisted:

Will crayons hold up against aresol cleaning agents? I usually use break free aresol.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I'll throw my tow cents in here. I've done a few AK's, Garands etc.

Needs:
PATIENCE
Testors Enamal - Color(s) of choice.
Dental pick (Sportsmansguide, Cheaper than dirt or maybe walgreens)
paint thinner
small plate to smear the paint.
Cotton balls
WD40

mix a small amount of enamal and small amount of thinner on a plate. dab your dental pick and lightly touch the letters you want to fill. the flow of the enamel/thinner mixture will start to fill the letters. you may have over fill - don't WORRY. Once the letters are compeltely filled in - WAIT 20 minutes until it's hardened. Spray some WD40 on a cotton ball and wipe the excess off of the letter and around. Pull to the NEAREST edge. Don't go dragging across the long way on a receiver.

Repeat if necessary. I usually do this twice with my applications.

Grease pencils and crayons are a PIA and tend to look sloppy. I use grease pencils on my Garands/M1 Carbines - This is a nice non-perment method for these collector items. Needs - Cotton balls, Alcohol, GRease pencils of choice.

·
Premium Member
2,413 Posts
We use Brownell's laquer stick. They have it in several colors. Works like the crayon method. Just lasts a little longer.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
gonna try the model paint method 2nite.....i got a new bottle of white and a superfine brush i use on 1/35 scale figures.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts