AK Rifles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have one? I will be picking it up in two weeks. I've always wanted one and just couldn't pass it up.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Need pics of this! Jealous.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Check out a previous Sons of Guns, where they restored a PIAT.
Disassembly of the spring scared them to death.

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check out a previous Sons of Guns, where they restored a PIAT.
Disassembly of the spring scared them to death.
Yeah I saw that episode! The PIAT has always intrigued me and they are pretty rare to come by. There's not even much information on them out there other than the normal info on Google. Many people including the sons of guns show think that it's the spigot that propels the bomb when it's actually a percussion blank located inside of the shaft of the bomb/"rocket" that launches it into outer space (100 yards max). The spigot has a firing pin on the end of it. I will post pics once it's in my possession.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
piat-pa-132894lg.jpg

British anti-tank weapon

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Ahhh, the PIAT. Quite possibly one of the worst AT weapons ever designed. They must have used up all their karma on the Sten gun! ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would like to try a PIAT out, at least the cocking mechanism. It's an interesting design. Wikipedia has a decent write up. I first became aware of it during a Bristish documentary on the history of the Victoria Cross, presented by Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear. His father-in-law earned a Victoria Cross during WWII using a PIAT. Several soldiers earned the VC with the PIAT.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Pretty neat! Will you get a de-milled projectile to go with it?

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely I will if I can find a reasonably priced one, there's one on gunbroker right now but it's rusty and not complete, I used to see them for sale but wasn't on the market, now that I'm looking there's none available. I need to get the webbing, repros are available, originals are non existent. I also need to find two Enfield slings to complete it

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
As kids back in the early 60's my dad picked one of these up for us to play with...............took 2 of us to carry it. When my parents sold there house in the early 90's it was still in the shed and my brother took it to his house. I believe my brother still has it in his barn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts